Paulski

• Stadium Tour
« on: June 24, 2016, 03:57:22 PM »

Sorry, couldn't resist :)

PopTodd

• Platinum Album
    • Hop On Pop on Facebook
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2016, 04:35:08 PM »
While I cannot say that I am 100% up on all the issues involved, just from what I know, it would appear that the US has NOT, in fact, cornered the market on xenophobia and self-injurious decision making.

Please, correct me if I am wrong.

Jamie

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2016, 04:41:51 PM »
Hi Pop, I'm afraid to say you are correct........IMHO

Jamie

diademgrove

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2016, 04:47:55 PM »
While I cannot say that I am 100% up on all the issues involved, just from what I know, it would appear that the US has NOT, in fact, cornered the market on xenophobia and self-injurious decision making.

Please, correct me if I am wrong.

The EU is run in the interests of its major economies, France, Germany and, ironically, the UK. Many people voted to leave because, despite what the Labour Party said, they did not see the EU has being for them. The EU didn't stopped the sell off of council houses, the attacks on workers' rights, the collapse of private works' pensions, the depression of wages nor many of the other concerns of ordinary people.

Then there was the sight of Germany imposing its will on the rest of the EU destroying the living standards of millions of Greeks.

Although some racists voted to leave Europe, many non-racists did so as well.

Given this historic occasion a little leeway on our no politics ruled may be allowed.

Paulski

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2016, 05:10:03 PM »
Given this historic occasion a little leeway on our no politics ruled may be allowed.
oops didn't know there was that rule - the header for the bar forum says "anything and everything". :)

diademgrove

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2016, 05:16:27 PM »
oops didn't know there was that rule - the header for the bar forum says "anything and everything". :)

You've got me thinking now. Some other forums I'm part of have a no politics and no religion rule I just assumed this forum also had one. I'm sure Boydie will let us know if there isn't one.

tboswell

• Platinum Album
« Reply #6 on: June 24, 2016, 05:22:18 PM »
I'll just say I'm quite sad and thoroughly ashamed of my country today...

...moderate me as required  >:( :'(

S.T.C

• Stadium Tour
  • American Cars........out now
    • http://oldsongsnew.com/
« Reply #7 on: June 24, 2016, 06:18:15 PM »
This was too bigger issue, to be left to the great unwashed ,to decide. :)

Viscount Cramer & His Orchestra

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #8 on: June 24, 2016, 06:49:20 PM »
Shocked and saddened.
Take it easy.

You can check my stuff out here. Mini-album getting bigger slowly. Free download if you're poorer than me.

Easy Life - Viscount Cramer

Sing4me88

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #9 on: June 24, 2016, 09:35:31 PM »
Ask yourself this; from the perspective of the most marginalised, dispossessed and poor in society will it actually make one iota of difference? What the so called EU Ref was actually about was which brand of unrestrained neoliberalism the British (and those Irish in the North of Ireland) wanted ruining their lives and pushing them further into poverty and misery. Dress it up as the opposing sides may have done, ultimately the question that was posed was 'would you like rapacious capitalism and neoliberalism and their inherent evils foisted on you from Westminster or from Brussels?'. The operative question SHOULD have been 'do you want neoliberalism and capitalism foisted on you?' but of course that wasn't asked. The vote was a vote to legitimise different brands of inequality - nothing more,nothing less IMHO.

The IMF and Richard Branson championing remain on one side and the moron that owns JD Wheterspoons championing Brexit on the other hand - rest assured these filthy profit merchants are driven by self-interest rather than any altruistic desire to help the vulnerable, poor and needy. The same applies to Cameron, Gove, Johnson, Farage et al. The ref was called as a kneejerk response to right wing populism prior to the last election, was hijacked by English nationalism and its result has proved as divisive as its campaigns - which were, for the record, conducted in the most distasteful and appalling manner possible.

In totality forumites yesterday the poor were poor, the rich were rich and a shower of self-interested bastards ran the show. Today the story is the same, as it will be tomorrow as it will be Sunday an so forth. A piddley vote on EU membership wasn't going to nor has it changed that simple unerring fact.....

Boydie

• Administrator
  • Stadium Tour
« Reply #10 on: June 24, 2016, 09:38:31 PM »
It is fine to discus

I spent all night counting the votes for the Medway results

I can't see anyone falling out over this one - especially as it seems most people that voted out I have come across are saying "oops - didn't actually think we would win"

Nobody knows what will happen - and it is hilarious watching them try to work it out!!!
To check out my music please visit:

http://soundcloud.com/boydiemusic

Twitter: https://twitter.com/BoydieMusic

Sing4me88

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #11 on: June 24, 2016, 10:13:17 PM »
It is fine to discus

it seems most people that voted out I have come across are saying "oops - didn't actually think we would win"

Nobody knows what will happen - and it is hilarious watching them try to work it out!!!

It was actually a surprise to me this morning cos when I went to bed last night at about 11 or so Farage had conceded that Remain had won and Ladbrookes had cut the odds on Remain to 1/12. When shovelling my porridge into me this morning I find out Leave won and Boris is in the process of directing a removal van with all his gear in it to Downing Street. They say 24 hours is along time in politics but it seems 6 or 7 hours of shut eye is even longer!

Viscount Cramer & His Orchestra

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #12 on: June 25, 2016, 06:30:36 AM »
It's not so funny living in France where we now feel more foreign than we did before, not to mention the uncertainty of our status re working rights, healthcare etc.

It may be that fears are unfounded and all will be OK but the feeling of trepidation at the moment among the expat community is palpable. The same must be true for EU nationals who are living and working in the UK who probably feel a little less welcome than they did the day before yesterday.

On a more general note I can't help but feel that this decision is a backward step.
Take it easy.

You can check my stuff out here. Mini-album getting bigger slowly. Free download if you're poorer than me.

Easy Life - Viscount Cramer

S.T.C

• Stadium Tour
  • American Cars........out now
    • http://oldsongsnew.com/
« Reply #13 on: June 25, 2016, 11:36:32 AM »
It's not so funny living in France where we now feel more foreign than we did before, not to mention the uncertainty of our status re working rights, healthcare etc.

It may be that fears are unfounded and all will be OK but the feeling of trepidation at the moment among the expat community is palpable. The same must be true for EU nationals who are living and working in the UK who probably feel a little less welcome than they did the day before yesterday.

On a more general note I can't help but feel that this decision is a backward step.

I used to live in Italy ,and in fact was thinking about sharing time between there and the UK...i wanted to see the outcome of this vote....now we see it.
Where do stand...i think for year or 2 nothing will change ,after that,it depends on how vindictive the EU nations want to be?
Possibilly we will get the 90 day  right to stay ,then some sort of visa..but i wanted some sort of business out there as well....so will have more problems than if the UK remained.!

Sing4me88

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #14 on: June 25, 2016, 03:44:37 PM »
 I'm sure the isolationalist feeling felt by British migrants living elsewhere in the EU is also shared by EU nationals living in Britain. I think its the exclusionary and divisive mentality the whole EU Ref has bred has been the most toxic and it's one that won't necessarily dissipate when trade matters etc are sorted out and all the other issues seen to...