konalavadome

Vibrations creeping into recorded vocal track

• 15 Replies

CaliaMoko

• Stadium Tour
  • Strumming on the couch in pigtails
    • Late Bloomers Rock
« on: June 22, 2016, 10:44:34 PM »
Today I noticed some vibration sounds showing up in the vocal tracks I'm working on. It only happens on some notes, but I haven't been able to discern a pattern. It isn't always loud notes. It isn't always on an "oh" sound. But sometimes it is. And other times it's something else.

I tried turning down the volume on the interface box feeding the signal from the microphone into the computer. The box I'm using is PreSonus Audiobox44 VSL. The microphone is AKG by Harmon P220 condenser. I'm recording into Audacity.

Any recommendations for how to trouble shoot this?

Vicki

Boydie

• Administrator
  • Stadium Tour
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2016, 11:00:32 PM »
Are you using a shock mount with your microphone?

https://www.amazon.com/Pyle-PSM05-Microphone-Anti-Vibration-Adjustable/dp/B00VIDJBJE/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1466632668&sr=8-5&keywords=microphone+shock+mount

If you aren't then this is the first thing I would do

You may need to do some research to get one that works well with your particular mic (Sweetwater would be a great place to get advice as you are in the US and they are super helpful)
To check out my music please visit:

http://soundcloud.com/boydiemusic

Twitter: https://twitter.com/BoydieMusic

CaliaMoko

• Stadium Tour
    • Late Bloomers Rock
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2016, 11:04:12 PM »
I am using a shock mount. It came with the microphone, and I've been using it right along. I don't recall hearing this vibration in other stuff I've done in the past. Like "Ballad of the Maid of Innail", "Mark of the Chains", "Everybody Wants you Baby", and other stuff I've posted in the forums. Maybe I'll go listen to some of those tracks and see if I've just been missing the vibration.

CaliaMoko

• Stadium Tour
    • Late Bloomers Rock
« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2016, 11:35:10 PM »
Could it be something on my desk that vibrates when I'm recording? It's kinda messy. I'll clean it off tomorrow and see if that makes a difference.

Boydie

• Administrator
  • Stadium Tour
« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2016, 07:48:35 AM »
Ah - I thought you meant the mic itself

Everything has something called a "resonant frequency" - meaning that certain frequencies can "excite" an object and cause "resonance", which in recording results in unwanted sounds and vibrations

It could simply be a certain frequency (IE a sung note) is causing something in your room to vibrate at its resonant frequency and therefore cause this unwanted resonance

This would explain why you have not experienced this before as it is a combination of what is in your room and the notes sung/played

CaliaMoko

• Stadium Tour
    • Late Bloomers Rock
« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2016, 10:41:19 PM »
I'm pretty much lost. It could be the mic; I don't know. I'm so mystified as to why I haven't noticed it before. And to what's causing it. It's ruining everything I'm trying to do.

I cleaned the desk off and actually cleaned up the whole room quite a bit. I looked at the shock mount and the mic and--not that I know what I'm looking for--didn't see anything that stuck out as a problem.

I just tried it again and the vibration sound is still apparent. I posted the most recent attempt in Sound Cloud to illustrate. If you jump in close to 2:00, there's a good example right about 2:01-2:02. Here's the song: https://soundcloud.com/caliamoko/purple-shades-vibration/s-CGjwu.

I hope someone has some idea what might be causing this. I'm a little discouraged...but only a little. Problems like this usually turn out to be some stupid thing I did and forgot.

Vicki

tina m

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2016, 10:48:55 PM »
well i dont a lot about these things vicki but that sounds like youve got something up too loud & its distorting...it doesnrt sound like a vibration to me ....maybe you recorded something too loud & it went into the red or you are playing something back too loud & its going into the red?
Tell me Im wonderful & I ll be nice to you :)

CaliaMoko

• Stadium Tour
    • Late Bloomers Rock
« Reply #7 on: June 25, 2016, 10:36:55 PM »
Tina, that's what I thought, but I tried turning down the AudioBox and I tried turning down the volume (gain?) on the track while recording. It got so I could hardly hear the playback, but if I was able to turn it up load enough on playback, I could still hear the vibration.

Today it isn't vibrating. ??? I'm wondering if my music stand was touching the shock mount stand. That possibility occurred to me today. Does that sound like something that would cause it? I haven't tested it, though, to see. If it happens again, I'll try to remember to check to see if those two items are touching.

Thanks to you and Boydie for listening and helping me trouble shoot. :)

Vicki

CaliaMoko

• Stadium Tour
    • Late Bloomers Rock
« Reply #8 on: June 26, 2016, 12:05:22 AM »
Wrong again. It's still vibrating, but it only happens on the one song. So I tried turning down the backing track. I think that might have done it, though I don't know why. I didn't hear a vibration in the backing track, only in the vocal. And I used headphones to listen to the backing track while recording.

Anyway, that must have been the problem.

Chris Perra

• Busker
« Reply #9 on: June 29, 2016, 10:46:45 PM »
Are you singing that song with no vibrato?

If so, it sounds like a flanger type plug in on the vocal..

CaliaMoko

• Stadium Tour
    • Late Bloomers Rock
« Reply #10 on: June 29, 2016, 10:57:35 PM »
Are you singing that song with no vibrato?

If so, it sounds like a flanger type plug in on the vocal..

Hey Chris,

No. And, I don't even know what that is!  ???   ;D

I think I have it sorted out now, though. I apparently had the backing track turned up too loud. I don't know why that would have such an effect, as I'm using earphones, but once I turned it down the vibration went away.

Thanks for the idea, though, and I hope to see you around the forums.

Vicki

CaliaMoko

• Stadium Tour
    • Late Bloomers Rock
« Reply #11 on: February 08, 2017, 01:07:37 AM »
Okay, sorry about dredging up an ancient thread; I thought I had this solved but apparently not....   >:(

As mentioned in the last post (a long time ago), I figured out I could minimize or eliminate the buzzy vibration by turning down the recording level. It's so low, though, that I have to turn up the play back a lot to listen to it.

Then, based on Boydie's hunch, I decided the strings on the guitars hanging on the wall in the room were vibrating sympathetically with various frequencies (only some pitches were vibrating). So I muffled all them. Thought I was good. Then I heard it again.

The trouble is, the problem isn't consistent. It's there sometimes and sometimes not. Recently, I tried a different microphone. I don't think I've heard a buzz since. So, perhaps this time I've really figured it out. That's depressing, because I bought a nice microphone special just for recording. It's on a desk stand with a shock mount and a wind screen. Anyone know of anything I could look for in or on the microphone or mount that might be causing the problem?

The microphone I'm using now is another condenser, but it's a cheap one. I can't remember what it cost, but it could have been as low as $20. Maybe closer to $40 or so. But pretty cheap, anyway. I'd sure rather be able to use the expensive one.

Vicki

Boydie

• Administrator
  • Stadium Tour
« Reply #12 on: February 08, 2017, 08:18:47 AM »
It's on a desk stand with a shock mount and a wind screen

That could be your issue

Do you have a mic stand you could try to completely detach the mic from the desk?

If not you could try a mic boom that attaches to your desk:

https://www.amazon.com/Neewer-Suspension-Scissor-Built-Mounting/dp/B00AK7SKL4/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1486541887&sr=8-5&keywords=desk+mic+boom

CaliaMoko

• Stadium Tour
    • Late Bloomers Rock
« Reply #13 on: February 08, 2017, 09:43:21 PM »
Well, that gave me a new area to consider. So my husband, checked out the mic stand and discovered it had a loose joint. We figured out how to tighten that up and I gave it a trial run. No vibrations in the recording at all. I am cautiously optimistic. I also moved it away from the computer so it would be less likely to pick up the computer fan sound.

I am hopeful this problem is now solved. For real, this time.

Thanks, Boydie!

Tin Pan Alley

• Busker
« Reply #14 on: February 10, 2017, 12:47:39 PM »
Are you detecting this on an analyser or can you hear the vibration?

If it is not audible leave it. It all blends to the final live voice experience. If it is audible check

1. You have no strong fields near your mic, cable or any out board gear. Don't forget being too close to the computer can cause issues too
2. Has some new kit been installed not only musical  but fridges etc.
3. Check the mic stand and any acoustic hood etc.
4. Change the mic lead
5. Change the mic
6. If using a computer check nothing is running in the background
7. Reboot and try again

After that you into settings which is a whole new ball game.

Are you working in a room that has a neighbour. Low level frequencies can really travel.