Jealous Guy - John Lennon Cover version by Jon Griffin

• 2 Replies

Griff

• Busker
« on: June 18, 2016, 01:16:32 PM »

I doubt it is just me who feels this way about John Lennon, but more than just a song, his life is familiar, his emotional turmoil, the abandonment, the child like yearning in songs like this one, and others such as Imagine, Woman and Mother. He was not an easy guy to like, not just pleasant and sweet but a real mother fucker at times and yet it was also clear that he was a deeply sensitive person with a beautiful other side to him. It is this we mourn I think, when those of us who connect with his songs reflect on his life.
I was asked, do I connect with Jealous Guy - not necessarily since, if there is one thing I don't tend to be, its jealous, but I understand what it feels like to have an absent father and mother who died young, I know what it feels like to be overwhelmed with grief about small events others barely seem to acknowledge. In John Lennon I definitely see sides of myself and I would like to think that I subscribe to his form of artistic expression, trying to use art/music to express something of value, not monetary or that kind of thing but rather of value in the sense that it might a good, healthy thing that connects and breaks down barriers.

In approaching this song, I wanted to a) make it my own version b) keep the sentiment intact so it might be both fresh and familiar.
I would say it is particularly challenging to cover a song that the original artist thoroughly owns, really I just hope what I do here is remind you all what a great song it is and if you have not done, to listen to John's solo material, rediscover it or discover it for the first time.

delb0y

• Platinum Album
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2016, 10:35:22 PM »
Nice work, Griff. Big JL fan here, too.

Cheers
Derek
West Country Country Boy

Griff

• Busker
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2016, 11:20:31 PM »
Thank you Derek!