konalavadome

This Little Love

• 21 Replies

Oldbutyet

« Reply #15 on: June 26, 2016, 09:06:41 PM »
Great lyrics nice keyboard and choir effect, i think you vocals is too nice but thats just me, i was thinking when listening maybe a Jack Nicholson devil style vocal because really, great lyrics.

adamfarr

• Stadium Tour
    • SongEspresso
« Reply #16 on: June 27, 2016, 09:17:17 AM »
Hi - nice melodies here, all working well and nice contrasts between the sections. The religious thing difdn't seem overdone at all, and gave some nice different vocab and images.

For me, for something like this that's melodic but not really melodically "hooky" perhaps more of a lyrical hook would give the listener something more to grab onto - changing up the chorus each time does give more content but I didn't really feel I was coming "home".

Enjoyable song though!

Bad Jeans

• Busker
« Reply #17 on: June 27, 2016, 09:03:21 PM »
It felt as if I was listening to a classic. Good sign I think.
Catchy song. nice sang. Here and there a double on the lead, would enlarge the difference between chorus and verse . Bridge excluded.

But in general. A serious composition I can always appreciate. I can hear you put in much love.

Well done.

BdK

pompeyjazz

• Stadium Tour
  • pompeyjazz
« Reply #18 on: June 27, 2016, 11:18:21 PM »
Another excellent song Tom. I've just been away for a while and have got so much to catch up on. Your vocals seem to be more up front and personal which is a good thing as far as I am concerned. Love the strings and choirs are great fun aren't they :) you keep churning out top quality stuff Tom. All the best. Pompeyjazz

MartynRich

• Stadium Tour
    • Personal website
« Reply #19 on: June 28, 2016, 12:10:43 AM »
Tom, I am a big fan of this song but not a fan of the production. Sorry to be so straight.

There´s no point me saying what an excellent songwriter you are - everyone knows it and this is no exception. It is less accessible in a catchy pop way to your others but there´s no problem there, that isn´t what songwriting is about. The song is cool, and I love the extended lyric line in the verses. I also love the synthy bit at the end of the choral break (although I don´t think you need to state it´s a choral break in the lyrics unless they are subtitles for the hard of hearing  ;D ;D ;D).

The chorus lifts the song and I think the lyrics are some of the best I´ve seen from you.

However, production-wise I just want to hear this one toned-down, slowed-down and with a lot less. You have excellent production skills but for some reason there is way too much instrumentation on this for me, unlike "Emily", where it worked excellently. This one didn´t do it though and I agree with Jambrains about the drums, they didn´t sound right. Put it out with just piano and enter it into the Barebones comp. You may not win it but you´ll intimidate everyone else. Hope you take the production points constructively - it is a fantastic song.

tboswell

• Platinum Album
« Reply #20 on: June 28, 2016, 09:40:10 AM »
Thanks again everyone for the feedback, this is a bit of departure from my usual sort of song posted here so it has been fascinating to follow your responses.

I also love the synthy bit at the end of the choral break (although I don´t think you need to state it´s a choral break in the lyrics unless they are subtitles for the hard of hearing  ;D ;D ;D).
I put that is deliberately, the idea being that the choirs and trumpets are very religious sounds but cos they are synth sounds as well they sound kind of fake. I phased it towards the end to add to that artificial effect.

However, production-wise I just want to hear this one toned-down, slowed-down and with a lot less. You have excellent production skills but for some reason there is way too much instrumentation on this for me, unlike "Emily", where it worked excellently. This one didn´t do it though and I agree with Jambrains about the drums, they didn´t sound right. Put it out with just piano and enter it into the Barebones comp. You may not win it but you´ll intimidate everyone else. Hope you take the production points constructively - it is a fantastic song.
I will have to look at the drums and make sure something doesn't need dealing with.

If I had to submit every song unproduced I would lose my mind, I love producing a track and I feel that arrangement and production is an important part of the process we should all embrace.
I was playing around a bit of this one and may have gone overboard a touch, trying to follow the lyrically meaning in the arrangement.
I appreciated the feedback and it does really help to know when experiments work, having wide appeal and when they divide listeners.

MartynRich

• Stadium Tour
    • Personal website
« Reply #21 on: June 28, 2016, 09:45:01 AM »
I don't think I have ever heard an under - produced song from you lol. You can still do a major production with a very stripped down arrangement - think about Adele. I was commenting more that you could take away a good deal of instrumentation on this one.