Government Surplus - for the Summer "Bare Bones" Competition

• 31 Replies

PaulAds

• Stadium Tour
  • Haemorrhaging Enthusiasm
« on: June 16, 2016, 06:31:06 PM »
here's my entry...it's a spooky whodunnit bare bones acoustic guitar + vocal murder ballad with some bad whistling

https://soundcloud.com/thefuneralcrasher/government-surplus

Government Surplus

Now I'm government surplus
No longer required
Seems that my civil circus
Membership has expired

I hear the national anthems
And I choke on the tunes
Unless I misunderstand them
They're gonna send in the goons

My security clearance
And my future's withdrawn
My disappearance
Surprises no-one

I came up with the facts
Instead of the goods
The dark actor acts
And I'm dead in the woods

They wouldn’t dare have an inquest
In case questions are asked
And most people lose interest
Before the monster's unmasked

You can always recycle
The honour you gave
Like St George and St Michael
Were just a pawn and a knave

Death is a picnic
compared to the pain
What I was proud of
now feels like a stain

They called me distinguished
On Her Majesty's list
Then they had me extinguished
With a trick of the wrist
heart of stone, feet of clay, knob of butter

Skub

• Stadium Tour
    • Soundcloud
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2016, 08:55:03 PM »
X Files spooky it is too. I wasn't too keen on the discordant whistle at first,but perhaps it does add to the feeling of desolate disenchantment?

I know it's for the Bare Bones comp thing,but I can't help wondering how the song would sound if a full volume durty punk band kicked in after a verse.

Keep it in mind for Mk2,Paul!

tina m

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2016, 10:21:48 PM »
paul your voice has  so much character that a bare bones arrangement like this gives it the spotlight ...
a nicely played acoustic & some intriguing lyrics that read like the plot of the next bond movie make this something to sit up & listen captivated to...its realy good ....you do bare bones realy well
i was realy impressed the lengths you went to recording the vocals  in your car to get the bare bones feel just right
 i can see james bond recording this in his car on the autobahn on a fab miniature recording studio built in by Q ...tho of course he would whistle beautifully & seductively.....i think you should redo the whistling  ;D
Tell me Im wonderful & I ll be nice to you :)

pompeyjazz

• Stadium Tour
  • pompeyjazz
« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2016, 11:05:41 PM »
Brilliant Brilliant Paul as ever you have hit the nail truly on the head. The lyrics are just so spot on, the dicschordant chord is an absolute killer. I had to rewind about 4 times to hear it again. It's that sort of thing that makes a song really memorable. The "Long way to Tipperary whistle after 4 years of carnage" is a haunting moment. Your voice just compliments everything so well. Off for another listen to see if I can nick that killer chord  ;)

Cheers John

CaliaMoko

• Stadium Tour
  • Strumming on the couch in pigtails
    • Late Bloomers Rock
« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2016, 03:01:00 AM »
I've recently reconnected with a friend from college--we used to play and sing together in the lounges after supper many, many nights a week, I think. That's the way I remember it.

Anyway, I have to send the link for this to him, because I think he'll like it. I certainly do. Like Skub, I'd love to hear it jazzed up once it gets going. But it's perfect as is for the Bare Bones challenge.

tboswell

• Platinum Album
« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2016, 08:51:36 AM »
Paul, so great to hear something new from you, I feel it's been a while.

I have definitely missed the your lyrical prowess and here it is again. Really sharp barbs but always poetic and musical.
It certainly feels bare bones both in arrangement and harmonic complexity, very little changing musically and that only works for me if the words hold my attention which yours certainly do...with bells on.  :)

When I listen to your work you seems to sum up what I find frightening about this country at the moment perfectly, I feel you are voicing my own feelings.

Lines like
I came up with the facts
Instead of the goods

and
And most people lose interest
Before the monster's unmasked

just sum up the combination of spin and apathy that are dragging this country down.  >:(

Superb work that really speaks to me.

Tom.

Jamie

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2016, 10:34:02 AM »
Hi Paul, another one of your trademark, quirky, but barbed lyrics. Some nice chords colouring the pallet and adding interest to the low key vocal delivery. Yes, you could Rev it up after a bit but it works as it is.
Nice one!
Cheers
Jamie

PaulAds

• Stadium Tour
  • Haemorrhaging Enthusiasm
« Reply #7 on: June 17, 2016, 01:14:57 PM »
thank you, folks :)

I don't mind admitting that I've been struggling a bit lately.

@Skub

Ta...yes - I will have a full tilt at it in the near future, I think

@tinam

That's very kind of you...much appreciated too...and yeah, my whistling is terrible!

@pompeyjazz

Cheers, my friend...thanks for helping me along the way with the kind words and encouragement

@CaliaMoko

Glad you liked it, Vicki...I hope your friend will too...

@tboswell

Genuinely tickled at reading such lovely words...thanks!

@Jamie

Cheers...I try to stick to what I know...misery :)

Pleased it turned out OK...as musically, it's pretty simplistic.
heart of stone, feet of clay, knob of butter

shadowfax

• Stadium Tour
  • Singer songwriter
« Reply #8 on: June 17, 2016, 10:38:52 PM »
Brilliant lyrics..what a talent you have in that department..voice and effect is perfect for the song..
Soundcloud Shadowfax6

from the nightmare!

Doodles

• Solo Gig
    • Soundcloud Page
« Reply #9 on: June 18, 2016, 08:34:37 AM »
The choice of chords gives an intreaguing feel from the start, so it caught my interest early on - the vocal adds to the effect and the lyrics make the song. As has been said above - musically it doesn't move a lot - maybe I would want to hear it change, but then the lyrics keep you hooked and carry the song through to the end.

Your songs are always well thought out and a good listen Paul.

Ben

Helena4

• Open Mic
« Reply #10 on: June 18, 2016, 10:08:21 AM »
I know it's for the Bare Bones comp thing,but I can't help wondering how the song would sound if a full volume durty punk band kicked in after a verse.

Keep it in mind for Mk2,Paul!

This is exactly what I was thinking. I want a punk version haha. But I did actually like the stripped back version.
In her kiss, I taste the revolution...
I am a rebel girl.

delb0y

• Platinum Album
« Reply #11 on: June 18, 2016, 10:24:28 AM »
Wonderful. Your voice has a real fine and interesting quality to it - it really shines through in this stripped down style. Lyrics are brilliant - can't beat a good story song! A fine song.
West Country Country Boy

digger72

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #12 on: June 18, 2016, 10:54:31 AM »
Hi Paul,

When it first started it made me think of maybe early Radiohead, then your vocal took it away in another direction. The feel is somehow conspiratorial - cool.
Liked the lyrics and the mood.

Fits the comp brief very well.

Digger

adamfarr

• Stadium Tour
    • SongEspresso
« Reply #13 on: June 20, 2016, 02:27:07 PM »
There's something "right" about this - it's one man's protest song so the bare bones style really suits. Lyrics are cutting and reward relistening. I was half-waiting for a departure somewhere different but it doesn't need it, there's a relentlessness in the resignation and bitterness of the confession.

No-one does this better.

lillypilly

• Open Mic
« Reply #14 on: June 21, 2016, 03:49:28 AM »
Gosh excellent lyrics and so stripped down, interesting voice but it worked.

Be interesting to hear this song rocked up a wee bit