konalavadome

"Stairway To Heaven" copyright case - court today!

• 8 Replies

Boydie

• Administrator
  • Stadium Tour
« on: June 16, 2016, 07:36:01 AM »
Hi all

Here is an update to the "Stairway To Heaven" copyright case relating to that famous intro:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-36534469

What are the views on this one?

Would you class it as an arpeggiated "chord sequence", a melody line, or a standard descending chromatic device used in countless songs and classical music?

To check out my music please visit:

http://soundcloud.com/boydiemusic

Twitter: https://twitter.com/BoydieMusic

MartynRich

• Stadium Tour
    • Personal website
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2016, 07:58:48 AM »
They do sound very similar, apart from Page resolving the sequence at the end, and the issue with Led Zep is they have "borrowed" in countless other songs...however, that doesn´t mean the writer of Spirit deserves the credit. If it is such a common chord sequence or melodic line, then Zep should be able to come up with a number of very similar examples to prove their point shouldn´t they?

You can´t copyright a chord sequence, which is obviously fair, but melodies are a different thing. Stairway and Spirit both have similar melodies in the sequence. However, are they common or not? Where are the countless other examples?

I think that has to be the argument. I didn´t hear much of a difference between the two and as I have never heard any similar examples it sounds like it was borrowed to me. Page did it a lot and he has history, however great a musician he was in his own right.

Saying that, it would worry me if Spirit won this. It´s not a precedent most musicians and writers are going to feel comfortable with.

diademgrove

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2016, 04:19:03 PM »
My money is on Jimmy Page nicking it from Jimi Hendrix's favourite female band Ace of Cups. I wouldn't be surprised if Randy California also pinched the introduction for Taurus.

Skub

• Stadium Tour
    • Soundcloud
« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2016, 07:11:51 PM »
The blurred lines/Marvin thing has set a worrying precedent. A song now only needs to have the vibe to be deemed a copy. This ought to have been fought all the way.
The days of copyright applying only to melody or lyrical content appear to be over.

Paulski

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2016, 03:31:04 PM »
OK - this is going to go over like a LED balloon, but maybe the whole concept of "Copyright" needs to be trashed when it comes to music. I mean, seriously, have you ever heard a song that wasn't an echo of something recorded years before it? Music should be "owned" by everyone on the planet.

Except for mine of course which will remain © all rights reserved :) :)

Skub

• Stadium Tour
    • Soundcloud
« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2016, 04:27:34 PM »
OK - this is going to go over like a LED balloon, but maybe the whole concept of "Copyright" needs to be trashed when it comes to music. I mean, seriously, have you ever heard a song that wasn't an echo of something recorded years before it? Music should be "owned" by everyone on the planet.

Except for mine of course which will remain © all rights reserved :) :)
Totally agree Paulski, except you made a mistake with the last bit. It's not your songs, it's actually mine.

Tch, didn't you get the memo?

PaulAds

• Stadium Tour
  • Haemorrhaging Enthusiasm
« Reply #7 on: June 23, 2016, 09:29:36 PM »
that reminds me...

t=47
heart of stone, feet of clay, knob of butter

tina m

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #8 on: June 23, 2016, 11:00:47 PM »
do you know paul i have always thought that....i just assumed he was a banana splits fan & had permission to use it .....i even wondered if he had been a banana split ...i mean you wouldnt know who was inside those costumes
youve probably started the ball rolling for another multi million dollar lawsuit  :)
Tell me Im wonderful & I ll be nice to you :)