Where There's No Love

• 5 Replies

KaelJay

• Open Mic
« on: June 13, 2016, 02:19:01 AM »
Hey Everyone!

This one was written a long time ago. One of the first lyrics, I think. I've revised some parts of it. Hope you enjoy! ;D

Where There’s No Love

Verse:
Should have brought you in
Should have helped you stand still
Should have let you feel
That you’re not alone

Chorus:
Nowhere to run
Nowhere to hide
When you’re hung up
From the eyes above

No place to go
You’ve lost your pride
When there’s no love
When there’s no love

Verse:
My house is a place
If you need to be safe
I will wipe your face
From scars and tears

My house is a place
If you need some aid
I’ll retrieve your fate
From pitch-dark fears

(Repeat Chorus)
(Repeat Chorus)

diademgrove

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2016, 04:28:14 PM »
Hi Kael,

I like the idea behind the lyrics but there are a couple of things that don't quite work for me.

The first verse is in the past tense and the final verses are in the present tense. The song doesn't explain why you turned your back in the beginning and why you changed your mind. As a result I get a disjointed feeling. I like the last verses and would look to change the first one.

The second thing is the line "You've lost your pride". Having being brought up that pride comes before a fall I think losing your pride is usually a good thing. Maybe an age thing. However, my main problem with the line is that the other lyrics imply that something other than pride has been lost, something far more serious. I think the line should reflect that feeling. Difficult to do within the rhyming scheme but I feel you should try.

I don't think you need to explain what has happened, much better to leave that to the listener's imagination.

Feel free to ignore me if you disagree.

Keith

KaelJay

• Open Mic
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2016, 12:40:21 AM »
Hi Kael,

I like the idea behind the lyrics but there are a couple of things that don't quite work for me.

The first verse is in the past tense and the final verses are in the present tense. The song doesn't explain why you turned your back in the beginning and why you changed your mind. As a result I get a disjointed feeling. I like the last verses and would look to change the first one.

The second thing is the line "You've lost your pride". Having being brought up that pride comes before a fall I think losing your pride is usually a good thing. Maybe an age thing. However, my main problem with the line is that the other lyrics imply that something other than pride has been lost, something far more serious. I think the line should reflect that feeling. Difficult to do within the rhyming scheme but I feel you should try.

I don't think you need to explain what has happened, much better to leave that to the listener's imagination.

Feel free to ignore me if you disagree.

Keith

Hi Keith!

Thanks for the the constructive comment. Really means a lot to me  :D

In my mind for the first verse, I wanted to make the listeners think why the person turned back on his friend. But I understand and agree why you may feel that way.

What I meant on the "You've lost your pride" as the person losing everything.

Kael

Helena4

• Open Mic
« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2016, 10:05:08 AM »
Hi Kaeljay, nice submission. I think you've got a good concept going on here. However, I'm gonna give you some detailed criticisms.

I'm into the second verse. Not so much into the first, I don't think it sets much of a scene. I would have something a little more discriptive there. That sort of driving repetition of your regrets suits a middle 8 more to me. The first verse needs to tell me in more detail what you're on about. I need to get it before we launch into a chorus.

Now I'm also not keen on the chorus.

Chorus:
Nowhere to run
Nowhere to hide
(Cliche. How many times have you heard someone go on about not being able to run or hide? You have to twist or add to a cliche, or carefully place it for effect, for it to be interesting. Starting your chorus with a bare cliche doesn't give the sort of impact you want when entering into a chorus)

When you’re hung up
From the eyes above
(I'm sure this would make more sense if you had set a bit more of a scene earlier - case in point, set the scene more with your first verse)

No place to go
You’ve lost your pride
When there’s no love
When there’s no love
(I like this I do. The "When there's no love" line repeated twice hits the spot for me. The other two lines a feeling a bit non-descript to me, but again, I just feel like I don't know whats going on because you never set the scene)

If you agree with my point about the first verse, which you may not, you may want to keep an abstraft tone, I don't know, but if you do, then if you could try and set the scene slightly more, I would be interested to see that.
In her kiss, I taste the revolution...
I am a rebel girl.

KaelJay

• Open Mic
« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2016, 07:57:23 PM »
Hey Helena!

Much appreciate the ideas and comments! Very helpful ;D

Since Keith (diademgrove) pointed out the first verse's problems, I've started some changes on the song to make more sense. It wasn't really easy to make everything connected. Your critiques really helped me a lot on what this song's direction would be.

Kael

Paulski

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2016, 05:34:49 PM »
Hi Kaeljay

You've already got some great advice on this one I won't repeat it.
My only added sugg would be to provide more of a story line to support the hook.
I like to think of the 5 questions - who, when why, where and how? You don't have to answer them ALL of them, but a listener needs to know why the hook is important so they can get the release from tension when the chorus arrives.

Hope this doesn't seem harsh - it's a good start IMO.
Paul