konalavadome

HERE IT IS: THE SUMMER "BARE BONES" COMPETITION - ENTER BY 31 JULY 2016

• 85 Replies

adamfarr

• Stadium Tour
    • SongEspresso
« on: June 02, 2016, 07:14:03 PM »
So here it is, a new competition aimed at getting everyone to squeeze out a new song or two during the Summer and maybe get slightly outside their comfort zone... The Winter/Valentine's competition was a great success with over 20 entries - let's see if we can outdo that.

"The Rules"

The theme is "Bare Bones". You use your imagination to decide how to tackle it, it could refer to arrangement, title, lyrics, whatever. Just explain what your take is.

A new song please. Except you can also choose to do a "bare bones" version of a song already posted on the forum before 1 June (with the writer's permission of course if not your own).

Open to all current forum members no matter how many posts etc.

Entries to be submitted by 31 July 2016.

You can have one solo entry and one colab. Or two colabs instead. (Plus, as a bonus, one stripped down version of a previous forum song as noted above.)

Please add your name to this thread if you're in. If you want help teaming up with someone, say what you offer (e.g. lyrics, melody, instruments, vocals, music theory, production capability) and what you'd like from the collaborator.

Please put Lyrics, WIP and Finished songs into the relevant thread on the forum, as usual, not here (so normal 2 weeks rules apply). For voting we'll gather them all together here.

By the way, just to keep things orderly, your competition song won't be eligible for song of the month!

Voting:
 - will be for your top 3 (or maybe top 5 if we get lots of entries) in order of preference.
- all entrants must vote, but not for themselves, which is only fair. (Or penalties may be handed out!)
- try to vote for concept, melody, lyrics and structure - this should be all about the songs.

Mr. PaulAds has kindly volunteered to be the other organiser. AUAA (ask us anything ... almost)

Good luck everyone...

Neil C

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2016, 08:04:11 PM »
Well done guys. I'll be in - one way or another.
 :)
Neil
songwriter of no repute..

CaliaMoko

• Stadium Tour
  • Strumming on the couch in pigtails
    • Late Bloomers Rock
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2016, 08:37:25 PM »
I'm in. I'm also open to collaborating if someone who's into any aspect (but particularly instruments and production) of the process is interested and currently has no collaborator. I am able to work on any combination of lyrics, melody, vocals, music theory, and possibly a little instrumental (guitar strumming, easy keyboard).

Vicki
:D

Paulski

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2016, 10:20:14 PM »
I'm not out. I mean I'm IN :) (unless the bill collector's at the door in which case I'm definitely out). One thought I had is this : We should also consider how well the "bare bones" theme has been interpreted when judging. That way no-one gets a free ride if they don't play along..

CaliaMoko

• Stadium Tour
    • Late Bloomers Rock
« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2016, 10:45:14 PM »
I´m in! Here is my entry:
You're already done???!!??

Cripes! I got my computer turned on...and then I got side-tracked, baking a loaf of bread...umm...and melting a crystallized jar of honey. <<sigh>>

Well, at least I can eat my bread and honey.

CaliaMoko

• Stadium Tour
    • Late Bloomers Rock
« Reply #7 on: June 02, 2016, 11:26:17 PM »
Oh, okay. I'll eat the bread but not the honey....   ;D

PaulAds

• Stadium Tour
  • Haemorrhaging Enthusiasm
« Reply #8 on: June 03, 2016, 08:42:17 PM »
I hereby solemn swear to enter a solo (or perhaps "so low") effort and would also fancy a collaboration with anyone who'll have me...I have a few half-written songs that could maybe be banged into shape...and also a few lyrics lying around, currently doing nothing...
heart of stone, feet of clay, knob of butter

ShinyThang

• Platinum Album
« Reply #9 on: June 03, 2016, 09:49:20 PM »
I'll take the oath too. Hopefully this competition will result in a finished song rather than the three non-starters I struggled with for the last comp.
Maybe a colab would spur me on so I'll be up for doing music to lyrics if anyone's interested?
They're, there, their  ...  They're all different!

www.soundcloud.com/geoffjamesevans

Oldbutyet

« Reply #10 on: June 03, 2016, 10:37:32 PM »
Im kind of interested in this but to be honest the rules is like, i lost interest after "You use your imagination to decide how to tackle it"  kind of put me off even before i start, just me but kind of feels like one sided if you know what i mean.

"The Rules"

The theme is "Bare Bones". You use your imagination to decide how to tackle it, it could refer to arrangement, title, lyrics, whatever. Just explain what your take is.

A new song please. Except you can also choose to do a "bare bones" version of a song already posted on the forum before 1 June (with the writer's permission of course if not your own).

IronKnee

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #11 on: June 04, 2016, 07:36:41 AM »
I understand "bare bones" as a sparse arrangement of one instrument and one vocal......or any 1+1 arrangement, really  ;)
But I do think that July 31st is an ocean of time to cross.
And so, I'll enter, "Lost" to be my ark in setting off towards the edge of my new found disaster  :'(

http://soundclick.com/share.cfm?id=11894390

Thanks,
                         8)-Tom
« Last Edit: June 05, 2016, 09:19:35 AM by IronKnee »
"I know the truth, by my struggle against it"
                                                          -IronKnee

adamfarr

• Stadium Tour
    • SongEspresso
« Reply #12 on: June 04, 2016, 08:34:36 AM »
Hi oldbutyet - some people don't like a competition that's very restrictive and some think flexible is too easy - what's a forum to do?!

This one is very inclusive so lots of scope for different entries - it's a bit of fun. Another time we could do a more traditional competition with more limits which might be more challenging. I'm just a volunteer so next time there'll be another organiser with other ideas (you could do it too if wished!)

Hope you do finally get some inspiration from this one and want to participate - I see there's already an entry and as they come in I'm sure they'll get us all thinking...

Oldbutyet

« Reply #13 on: June 04, 2016, 10:29:37 AM »
Hi oldbutyet - some people don't like a competition that's very restrictive and some think flexible is too easy - what's a forum to do?!

This one is very inclusive so lots of scope for different entries - it's a bit of fun. Another time we could do a more traditional competition with more limits which might be more challenging. I'm just a volunteer so next time there'll be another organiser with other ideas (you could do it too if wished!)

Hope you do finally get some inspiration from this one and want to participate - I see there's already an entry and as they come in I'm sure they'll get us all thinking...

Thanks for explaining this Adam sorry if i came across in a picky sort of way but i just felt the rules had a bit of that off putting feel to them, but i dont feel that anymore, will definitely enter something either a new song or one of them i got studio recorded a few years back, bare bones of course, looking forward to it and thanks again.

The S

• Solo Gig