konalavadome

The Rhythm Game

• 25 Replies

MartynRich

• Stadium Tour
    • Personal website
« on: May 26, 2016, 10:35:48 PM »
This is possibly quite cheesy but I wanted to try something purely poppy and synth-based. My own slightly dodgy vocals of course but proud also that there is no vocal fixing on this one...I know the one thing I need to develop are beats and basslines so advice and help there would be appreciated. There are some guitars of course, how could there not be? Lyrics at the link:

https://soundcloud.com/martynstanding/the-rhythm-game/s-qSEP8

tina m

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2016, 11:55:24 PM »
there are some nice things here martyn I like  the backing track  a lot  & I realy like the mouth organ thing?
Theres some catchy melody bits but  a lot of the time you seem to be singing in a different key to the music
I cant understand whats happening ...i had this problem before with a chorus of yours but its far more noticeible here
I thought the bassline was fine but maybe the beat could be busier in places to give it more definite verse & choruses etc
anyway thats my first impression on hearing it...i will listen again tomorrow
Tell me Im wonderful & I ll be nice to you :)

Neil C

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2016, 06:32:16 AM »
Martyn,
I like the way it come into the chorus at the start, which is catchy and the synth motif.  Verse is fine.
I think it at the moment it has a and older school 80's vibe although with the right production it could be brought more up to date.

Thoughts: it needs to have more rhythmic drive, it feels a bit a bit slow. it worked well towards the end when the bass drum was pumping.The vocal fx was fine, although there was some pitchiness most noticeably in part of the chorus, the note sound odd with the change of key underneath the last play the rhythm game.  Can you hear it?
The 2nd vocals need to be reigned in a bit, although I like what you're trying to do, although its a bit much towards the end.
Anyway you're on your brief, poppy.
 :)
Neil
songwriter of no repute..

pompeyjazz

• Stadium Tour
  • pompeyjazz
« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2016, 07:18:34 AM »
Hi Martyn. Definite 80's vibe, nothing wrong with that  :) There's some interesting ideas going on here and I think your vocals in the verse are particularly good (I even got touches of George Michael here ). Maybe in the chorus they need a bit of looking at.
Maybe the backing vocals need syncing at times. The only other small suggestion I have would be to give the bass a bit more oomph !

I like the way that you are producing a wide variety of material in different styles.

Cheers

John

delb0y

• Platinum Album
« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2016, 07:55:13 AM »
Love the music - really well done. Reminds me of the music that was on the radio for a lot of the early and mid-80s. I think you've nailed that synth-based thing you were shooting for very well indeed. Only thing is the vocals - they need a bit of attention. I think the melody and the chords are fine - it's just (I think) a bit of pitchy-ness creeping in. It's a good song and a bit of attention on the vocals will be worth it.

Cheers
Derek
West Country Country Boy

tboswell

• Platinum Album
« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2016, 08:50:30 AM »
Agree with the everyone else, there is a fine song in there without good rhythms, great backing a good hook and title. It all works really well. The keys change is great. It's really good.

But the vocal is pitchy enough to make you unsure of the melody at times. I think I know what you are going for but it is hard to tell in places.
You could try getting someone else to sing it for you perhaps.
Or else take more time over the vocals, concentrating on your breathing and the listening to the backing track to ensure you pitch it right.

It seems a great tune, but until you get the melody presented securely it is hard to prove that to anyone else.

Good luck with it!  :)
Tom.

Jamie

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2016, 08:50:47 AM »
Hi Marytn, a bit different from your rockin stuff! Yes deffo an 80's vibe. Agree about polishing the vocals gets a bit distracting (yes I live for you etc).Made me think of James but with added synths ;D.
Cheers
Jamie

MartynRich

• Stadium Tour
    • Personal website
« Reply #7 on: May 27, 2016, 09:40:04 AM »
Thank you everyone. Exactly what I thought - some dodgy vocals and in need of polishing the beats. I'm not a singer really but have made vast improvements so it's an ongoing process and I really appreciate the feedback.

Any volunteers to sing it for me?  ;D

LostBoy

• Platinum Album
« Reply #8 on: May 27, 2016, 10:16:27 PM »
Yo Martyn,

Dude I love this shit! I love the 80's!! I can't think of one bad song that came out of that era!!  ;D  ;D
I also have a cheesey 80's track on my soundcloud called "Supanova" (just to prove I'm as crazy as I sound! ;) )

Anyway,I thought the music and vibe of this song were really cool and although yes the chorus was a bit pitchy,I thought you nailed the verses,especially the second.Your voice reminds me of the singer of the group "Hurts". (Who I think are awesome!)

If your serious about wanting another singer to give it a go then I'd be happy to put on my neon socks,dig out my shoulder pads and just leave my hair alone in the morning!!  ;D

MartynRich

• Stadium Tour
    • Personal website
« Reply #9 on: May 28, 2016, 02:28:18 AM »
Cheers LostBoy!

If you want to have a crack at it you´re more than welcome, or maybe do the choruses and put some harmonies on the verses?? As you like. I´ll make some monster beats and then we´ll retire early! How about it!

LostBoy

• Platinum Album
« Reply #10 on: May 28, 2016, 07:34:47 AM »
Put me in coach!!  ;D that's an excellent idea to leave your verses in mate.In fact I'd be more than happy to just do a dodgy two step in the background and be a backing singer for you,cos I know you could nail that chorus with a little more practice mate.Anyway this should be fun  ;D il PM you dude.

MartynRich

• Stadium Tour
    • Personal website
« Reply #11 on: May 28, 2016, 08:37:20 AM »
Leo, did you get my PM? I think I messed it up, partly due to a hangover. I was in a Spanish karaoke bar at 2:30am banging out Delilah. I assure everyone I nailed that and no messing  :D

digger72

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #12 on: May 28, 2016, 09:54:41 AM »
Hi Martyn,

Cool sound. Some very nice touches - especially during the "I live" section.
Regarding the vocals - what about changing the key of the song so it falls more within your natural vocal comfort zone?
Good tune with lots of promise.

Digger

MartynRich

• Stadium Tour
    • Personal website
« Reply #13 on: May 28, 2016, 10:44:09 AM »
Thanks for the compliments. It is within my comfort song, it´s just technique that´s missing. However I do think I hit the verses quite well. Ok, I´m not Tom Jones but that´s just a matter of time. It´s the chorus that needs some work.

The Portrait Piano

• Busker
« Reply #14 on: May 28, 2016, 02:21:38 PM »
Hi Martyn, love the 80s vibe with this one and really enjoyed the change in pitch in the second half of the song. I think the beats and baseline sounds just fine.  ;)