Hitting Zero Gravity

• 23 Replies

pompeyjazz

• Stadium Tour
  • pompeyjazz
« on: May 26, 2016, 07:34:05 AM »
Thought that I would try a different approach with this song and start with a piano part. Then it sort of morphed into a spacey type thing (It's great that often the end result of a song is nothing like you envisaged at the start). The lyrics are fairly simplistic and minimal to give the song a bit of space. I've been far too guilty in the past of cramming in vocals at every opportunity  :)

Here is Hitting Zero Gravity...

https://soundcloud.com/pompeyjazz/hitting-zero-gravity

Hitting Zero Gravity

You’re on the earth
And I’m on the moon
Feels like I’m….
Floating away
I’m coming down soon

Oh – I’m hitting zero gravity
The decompression’s crushing me
Oh !

Space rockets fly
Hundreds miles high
I see…
Stars passing by
Re-entry’s goodbye

Oh – I’m hitting zero gravity
The decompression’s crushing me
Oh !

© John Bradley - 2016

Binladeda

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2016, 08:13:41 AM »

Hi,

Yeah....like this, good song.  Has epic proportions ;D ;D

Didn't expect the direction it took after the intro. I was
 looking forward to some searing gtr solo's.......but wasn't
 dissapointed ;D  Good arrangement and some lovely melodies
 in there. 

Imaginative and well crafted song.......Play up Pompey ;D ;D

Nowt as queer as folk...........my gran

PaulAds

• Stadium Tour
  • Haemorrhaging Enthusiasm
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2016, 10:55:34 AM »
Hello John

A great listen...your stuff is always full of interesting ideas...and this one didn't disappoint...

Excellent use of...space...

Very enjoyable :)
heart of stone, feet of clay, knob of butter

S.T.C

• Stadium Tour
  • American Cars........out now
    • http://oldsongsnew.com/
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2016, 12:43:34 PM »
Yeah like this...you could enhance it in various ways...i suppose...but i liked the 'space' you created.

richardyot

• Busker
« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2016, 12:52:52 PM »
Fun spacey track, especially like the wooey synth sound and the piano.

The reverb tails on the vocal are bit sibilant though, you might want to EQ the reverb send separately from the vocal to cut out the highest frequencies there.

The synth melody is really great, the whimsical quality of the melody reminds me of Air at their best.

adamfarr

• Stadium Tour
    • SongEspresso
« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2016, 01:13:25 PM »
Very cool. I think I'd probably think about trimming (or losing) the transitional part between 34" and 1'06" and try to get to the synth hook asap.

Perhaps it could be good to not always have that hook under the chorus, to give a bit more variation?

Also I know you were going for "spacey" but in the middle I felt that same transitional part came back for a wee bit too long...

Liked the piano though - could happily listen to a bit more of that in the outro.

tboswell

• Platinum Album
« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2016, 04:03:21 PM »
Really liked the vibe, took me back to the 70s a bit. Got a slightly prog feel about it, what with nearly 1 1/2 mins without vocals at the start!! Another sort of song I would suggest to change that.

I would perhaps do something different with it before the 2nd verse comes in properly.

The chorus is nice but seems as if it wants to go somewhere and just stops, I thought there would be more of it. But what is there I like a lot.

And I love that piano line that you persuaded the sequencer to play  ;) Really lovely that opening piano riff.

As ever, fascinating stuff  :)

Tom.

tina m

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #7 on: May 26, 2016, 08:23:46 PM »
john I  like the way you are  eager to experiment &  every song you post is  you trying something different..  
I liked the long  intro & I thought it fitted perfectly with what you were going for here..
its weird  tho that every space song anyone does will always get compared to space odyssey....
 this shouldve been on bowies last album i can hear him singing it like hes saying  goodbye  

I wish there had been a little more  story in the lyric but tbh the music was so good &  space travelish it  provided  extra meaning  to the sparse lyrics
the piano part was realy great & that slightly raspy voice you have john cant go wrong with me
omg I thought you were going into a disco version at the end but it was just soundcloud playing  somebody elses track!
Loved it I thought it was brilliant … as usual !
Tell me Im wonderful & I ll be nice to you :)

LostBoy

• Platinum Album
« Reply #8 on: May 26, 2016, 09:39:06 PM »
Hi John,

Well that was a fun listen! The music is nicely done,I like the touch with the countdown sample.Your vocal is awesome as always,although the slight sibilance (bane of my life!) is a tiny,little distracting in places.I thought Richards suggestion was good about that.The melody was nice and catchy! I also struggle with not leaving space without vocals in a song :) however I thought there was maybe too much space in this one! Haha! I wanted more vocals!! You can't win can you mate! ;D The drums seemed a bit dry to me (subjective I know) Anyway,small nits aside I thought the song was cool! Nice work dude!

Leo  ;D

Neil C

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #9 on: May 27, 2016, 06:40:32 AM »
Jon,
Liking the ambition but intro too long for me. I like the piano chord sequence. and the chorus is neat but I dont know it has as an 80's stageshow feel to it.
 :)
Neil

songwriter of no repute..

delb0y

• Platinum Album
« Reply #10 on: May 27, 2016, 07:46:11 AM »
Love the piano intro - you should do more of that! The little synth hook is great too - though I found it a tiny bit distracting behind the vocals at the end of the first verse. Very Bowie-ish, but I guess you're always going to get that comparison with the subject matter. Lots of space (pun not intended) which is good - but means I'd have to be in the right mood to listen to it (which I am this morning). Nice harmonies too. All in all great work - I think you've nailed the ambient space thing very well here.
West Country Country Boy

Tommy Blixt

• Open Mic
    • https://soundcloud.com/knownasbeppe
« Reply #11 on: May 27, 2016, 04:14:17 PM »
Heeeey!

Nice piano playing in this song. I really dig the space sounds you put in! The synth sounds very smooth and fits.
It sounds to me like a mix between David Bowie and Roger Waters.

I like it

With love
/KNOWN AS BEPPE

MartynRich

• Stadium Tour
    • Personal website
« Reply #12 on: May 27, 2016, 04:46:30 PM »
This is very interesting John. As everyone else has said, the piano is a fantastic intro and then the song floats off into some anti-gravity stream of consciousness. Some of the sounds are superb and you have a real ear for melody as well. Even though I was thinking some more vocals wouldn´t go amiss...but excellent work my friend.

Jambrains

• Platinum Album
  • Jim Steinman ftw!
    • Jambrains
« Reply #13 on: May 28, 2016, 09:20:14 AM »
This is way cool, love the piano motif in the intro and as well as the synth dito. Your vocals works brilliant in this song (and some really good harmonies as well) but 1.20+ minutes to get t the first vocals is definitely too much in my book. Great sonic landscape/layering and atmosphere but I think the elements in the vocals parts is so strong you should really develop this into a "proper" song with more vocals to make it more accessable but then I'm pretty much a mainstream guy so I may be completely wrong..

digger72

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #14 on: May 28, 2016, 09:48:25 AM »
Hi John,

I've always liked spacey sounds - create a great atmosphere. Indeed, there is lots of space within the track which lets the music have some freedom. Would be a good album track or B-side.

I like the little noises in the background, the bits of speech, etc. (Though I really had to listen hard to hear them).

Nice choice of synth sounds.

Digger