Songwriting Bucket List

• 13 Replies

tboswell

• Platinum Album
« on: May 24, 2016, 10:05:25 AM »
I've been writing a few songs recently that have elements I have always wanted to include:
- A song that opens with a chorus
- A song with someone's name in the title

I am still yet to write a "list song" such as Nick Cave's peerless "There She Goes My Beautiful World". I still haven't written a decent song on the piano.

Anyone else got elements that they want to get into their songwriting...before they slip off this mortal coil?

Tom.

Skub

• Stadium Tour
    • Soundcloud
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2016, 11:15:38 AM »
I dont have anything as specific as your list, Tom. I'm very aware of the passage of time and the fact some uncaring entity has pressed the fast forward button. With this in mind I'd like to get as many songs as possible reasonably well recorded.
Bop til I drop is the prime directive!

PopTodd

• Platinum Album
    • Hop On Pop on Facebook
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2016, 12:32:01 PM »
I just want to write decent songs.
Although I think that, in the past, I have thought about ways of writing a song.
I wanted to do a song with a linear structure, and I did that.
And I wanted to do the opposite: a static song, with a consistent melodic thread running throughout, and I did that.
So... really, at this point, I just want to write good songs, and keep writing them.

adamfarr

• Stadium Tour
    • SongEspresso
« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2016, 02:46:37 PM »
Songs are writing me a bit at the moment - my current projects kind of have to be what they have to be and can't really be steered...

The only specific thing I have is to keep going with different genres and not be too samey.

PopTodd

• Platinum Album
    • Hop On Pop on Facebook
« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2016, 03:35:36 PM »
Songs are writing me a bit at the moment - my current projects kind of have to be what they have to be and can't really be steered...
A nice place to be.

tboswell

• Platinum Album
« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2016, 03:40:05 PM »
The only specific thing I have is to keep going with different genres and not be too samey.

I hear you, I got too good at writing the same song. Realised it was too easy, got bored, took a 6 year break from songwriting.

adamfarr

• Stadium Tour
    • SongEspresso
« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2016, 10:33:41 AM »
Yup, progressions are probably where I keep wanting to go down the same roads. What did Tom Waits say about your hands being like dogs, if you don't train them they keep running to the same places...

On the list for this year:

- ska-folkabilly;
- rap;
- epic meaning of life magnum opus.

Actually what I really want to do one day is a memorable modern commercial song. Don't watch this space...

PopTodd

• Platinum Album
    • Hop On Pop on Facebook
« Reply #7 on: May 25, 2016, 12:47:55 PM »
I would love to write one really great soul/R&B tune. I've tried, but they always morph into something else. That is, when they don't just outright suck and I have to throw them in the bin.

CaliaMoko

• Stadium Tour
  • Strumming on the couch in pigtails
    • Late Bloomers Rock
« Reply #8 on: May 25, 2016, 02:16:59 PM »
I'm hoping someone will decide to make one of Alison Croggon's books into a movie and they'll like my/Boydie's treatment of her "The Ballad of the Maid of Innail" so well that they'll want me to write all the music!  ;D

GuyBarry

• Solo Gig
« Reply #10 on: May 26, 2016, 01:27:10 AM »
I want to write what I hear in my head. Then I´ll be happy.

What stops you from doing so?  That's how I always write.  I think of a tune, lyrics and some chords, scribble them down on a piece of manuscript paper, try them out on the keyboard (I'm a terrible pianist) and then give them to someone to play.  Most of my music is composed in my head - I've got a song in my head as I write this.  My main problem is forgetting it before I write it down.

MartynRich

• Stadium Tour
    • Personal website
« Reply #11 on: May 26, 2016, 07:35:39 PM »
I´m not talking about chords and melodies, that I can do without problem. I´m talking about sounds and textures, beats and rhythms, which nearly always combine in my imagination to be something that I can´t quite capture on tape (or microship). I get close sometimes and I think when I do it is my best stuff.

tina m

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #12 on: May 26, 2016, 08:56:40 PM »
Only to be  different & original...which I  try to be now but of course it means having to keep changing all the time...but imagination is something i seem to have a lot of
I had something wrong about songwriting ...I thought the freer you were of  rules & things that limit you the more creative you could be but then a  friend of mine said no thats wrong people are at there most creative when they have  a lot of rules & they have to find a way of working in those constrained conditions
& at first I didnt believe it but its true ...its why crime is always one step ahead of the law

Tell me Im wonderful & I ll be nice to you :)

pompeyjazz

• Stadium Tour
  • pompeyjazz
« Reply #13 on: May 26, 2016, 10:47:52 PM »
Interesting subject. Guess where I'm coming from is just all about being able to express yourself. Had a very long break from writing but the ideas have always been there. Like to write songs without the conventional rules and try something different every time. Have has some pretty major life changing experiences over the past few years so my philosophy is really, enjoy being creative and whatever you do it's unique  :) Keep those songs going guys. Truly inspires me.