konalavadome

Is there a musical theatre "canon"?

• 21 Replies

CaliaMoko

• Stadium Tour
  • Strumming on the couch in pigtails
    • Late Bloomers Rock
« Reply #15 on: May 25, 2016, 02:19:28 PM »
Ah, Adam! The one I can't watch without crying is "The Trouble with Angels", which isn't even a musical.  ???

PaulAds

• Stadium Tour
  • Haemorrhaging Enthusiasm
« Reply #16 on: May 25, 2016, 02:38:03 PM »
I can't watch the Sound of Music without crying

Yeah... I had a few tears at the time.

Not often I'm rooting for Germany :)

[/quote]
heart of stone, feet of clay, knob of butter

tina m

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #17 on: May 26, 2016, 09:13:24 PM »
im pretty sure i would know a lot of songs from musicals simply bcos my mum was a fan so i wouldve absorbed them ... i probably wouldnt know what they were called or what they were from but i would recognise them instantly
we must all have thousands of songs & pieces of music we know in our heads but havent a clue what they are called or where we know them from

the more times people hear something the more they  will remember it
 now the big problem is getting our songs in peoples heads ..so  forget mp3 or cd
what do you hear when you open the window or go outside? you hear the birds .. so what if you convert your songs to bird format so they hear & start singing your songs ....then all the world will hear your songs
& want to buy them for the winter when all the birds have gone south  :)
Tell me Im wonderful & I ll be nice to you :)

MartynRich

• Stadium Tour
    • Personal website
« Reply #18 on: May 26, 2016, 10:57:56 PM »
You can get so many fresh ideas from listening to different music, even if it isn´t your style or thing, it can inspire you. Obviously if you really hate a genre then you don´t have to go there but I think listening far and wide will do nothing but help you as a musician.

Mu mum loved The Carpenters. Jeez.

GuyBarry

• Solo Gig
« Reply #19 on: May 27, 2016, 08:00:38 AM »
Growing up in the 1970s in music lessons we had a staple diet of show songs, songs from film musicals, Gilbert & Sullivan and the like. I'm sure that has an effect and I'm sure it doesn't happen now.

I've just found out that "Something's Coming" from West Side Story is one of the 12 set works on the Edexcel GCSE syllabus.

adamfarr

• Stadium Tour
    • SongEspresso
« Reply #20 on: May 27, 2016, 09:27:10 AM »
Something's Coming - probably interesting to analyse musically (time sig changes, jazz chords?) but probably a terrible choice for getting a teen enthused about musicals?

Aleirt

• Busker
« Reply #21 on: September 22, 2016, 11:34:57 AM »
i don't know ... it could be there or may be not... never seen one there