konalavadome

Where Did The Time Go, Emily?

• 33 Replies

LostBoy

• Platinum Album
« Reply #15 on: May 24, 2016, 10:29:40 AM »
Man!!! I'm late to the party on this one,but...just...man!! You should be really happy with this.Its superb! Great arrangement and yes that's a great bridge.I love how you change gear on your voice in places.Excellent production! The story is one I lived in years gone by...she was called Emma....close eh?  ;D

Fantastic stuff mate
Leo

montydog

• Stadium Tour
  • http://i60.photobucket.com/albums/h40/montydog1/Me
    • Reverbnation
« Reply #16 on: May 24, 2016, 12:50:23 PM »
I have to agree with what someone else said - it's the best track on the forum and undoubtedly one of the best things I've heard on here in the 4 years I've been on. Everything is out of the top drawer - vocals, arrangement, production, melody, lyrics all superb. Your string arrangements are pro level and basically, well you should get a recording contract on the strength of this.

I knew you were good but I didn't know you were this good. I'd seriously be looking to plug this.

Wonderful.

M

Neil C

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #17 on: May 24, 2016, 11:49:31 PM »
Dear overwrought teenager, Let her go.
Enjoyed this a lot. Great chorus uplifting arrangement. Super vocals as ever.
Throw in a few twists and turns but it on heavy rotation in my head already.
Top stuff
 :) :)
Neil
« Last Edit: May 26, 2016, 11:37:00 PM by Neil C »
songwriter of no repute..

PaulAds

• Stadium Tour
  • Haemorrhaging Enthusiasm
« Reply #18 on: May 25, 2016, 08:15:44 AM »

I am from Yorkshire originally but I support the Boro. Wouldn't be seen dead in Newcastle!  ;)

I was born in Newcastle...I've always lived just outside town

It'll always be home to me :)

Not many Emily's around, as I recall :)
heart of stone, feet of clay, knob of butter

Jamie

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #19 on: May 25, 2016, 01:49:07 PM »
Hi tom, don't know if I can add much to what has already been said. Excellent song, great arrangement and playing.loved the harmonies and your voice is also great.what's not to like? It did have a sixties pop ballad feel but didn't sound dated, really good,you've raised the bar!
Cheers
Jamie

tboswell

• Platinum Album
« Reply #20 on: May 25, 2016, 02:20:38 PM »
Man!!! I'm late to the party on this one,but...just...man!! You should be really happy with this.Its superb! Great arrangement and yes that's a great bridge.I love how you change gear on your voice in places.Excellent production! The story is one I lived in years gone by...she was called Emma....close eh?  ;D

Fantastic stuff mate
Leo
Thanks Leo, glad it touched a chord with you.

I was born in Newcastle...I've always lived just outside town
It'll always be home to me :)
Not many Emily's around, as I recall :)
Well if you are from round there I guess Newcastle can't be all bad ;)

My better half is a Mackem (from Sunderland for you non-UK folks) and so I have to be careful about saying anything too nice about the Geordies  :o

I have to agree with what someone else said - it's the best track on the forum and undoubtedly one of the best things I've heard on here in the 4 years I've been on. Everything is out of the top drawer - vocals, arrangement, production, melody, lyrics all superb. Your string arrangements are pro level and basically, well you should get a recording contract on the strength of this.

I knew you were good but I didn't know you were this good. I'd seriously be looking to plug this.

Wonderful.

M
Thanks so much for the encouragement mate, I am a crappy self promoter and need to get going with that. Am going to try to shop this around and see what happens.

It did have a sixties pop ballad feel but didn't sound dated, really good,you've raised the bar!
I wanted to make it more modern sounding but my fingers and ears won't let me. I need to keep working at that. Thanks for the feedback  :)

The violins and pianos are the highlight for me, they facilitate the transistion from section to section so easily.

Great lyrics complemented by your voice....could imagine this in a West End Musical.
Glad u like the piano and strings. I worked hard to make them natural. Maybe I can use this to start work on my musical...watch out Andrew Lloyd Webber!  ;)

nooms

• Global Moderator
  • Stadium Tour
  • songwriter
« Reply #21 on: May 26, 2016, 08:05:45 PM »
great track
agree with all ..reall knockout song and performance ...arrangment ..all the boxes
excellent vocals glenn cambell comes to mind in the chorus with that kind of heartache lift
top marks
kind of defys the decades as classic songs do

great stuff tom ..this must surely get you some notice
best of luck mate

for some reason i thought you were from texas ?*?
i may not believe this tomorrow...

https://soundcloud.com/nooms-1

Jambrains

• Platinum Album
  • Jim Steinman ftw!
    • Jambrains
« Reply #22 on: May 28, 2016, 09:03:07 AM »
Holy cow! It is when you hear stuff like this you seriously considering giving up music and pick up knitting or something  ;D
Fab song, vocals and strings. Fab pretty much everything actually. Just love everything about this!
One issue though, (at least on my system) I find the mix a bit unbalanced i.e. lacking a little bit in the lower registera that makes the mix come out as a tad "harsh" from time to time. I don't think it is harsh but rather a little lacking in the lower registers but it could very well be my system(s) or ears so feel free to ignore me.
Now, will you please excuse me while I start looking for some yarn and needles...

LostBoy

• Platinum Album
« Reply #23 on: May 28, 2016, 11:47:13 AM »
Having listened to this excellent song many times now,I'd like to add to my earlier comment with a rather brazen comment...IF there is a weak spot in this song,for me it's the rhyming of Emily with readily.I know you said you struggled to find a rhyme and let's be honest "times slipping by so readily" is not something that's often said  ;D IMO I think this line would sound better without rhyming with Emily,I wish I could show you what I mean,but I think maybe something as simple as "Where did the time go Emily,it's slipping by so faaaaaassst" i think you can get away without having the melody fit the syllables of Emily on that line.

Anyway,just my thoughts mate.Others may disagree and that's fine.I hope this helps mate.
Leo  ;D

MartynRich

• Stadium Tour
    • Personal website
« Reply #24 on: May 28, 2016, 11:54:13 AM »
Talking about that rhyme, you could also choose something to go with "goodbye" on the next line, it would work in a rhythmic sense just as well...

LostBoy

• Platinum Album
« Reply #25 on: May 28, 2016, 12:24:23 PM »
Oooh,just reread my comment...I forgot to say and make clear that if there is a better way to rhyme with Emily then that's the way to go,BUT,if you/we can't figure it out THEN maybe another option is something similar to what I suggested.

Or...just keep it as it is.Which works,but I just can't help but wonder if we all put our brains together,that we couldn't come up with something better there...hmmmm...

Tommy Blixt

• Open Mic
    • https://soundcloud.com/knownasbeppe
« Reply #26 on: May 28, 2016, 12:27:28 PM »
Heya!

Very nice country-tune! I really like the way you used the strings and piano to make the soft atmosphere.

This is a really great song you've wrote! I have nothing more the add than that acually, haha! Really good arrangment and melodies. A great song overall :)

With love
/KNOWN AS BEPPE

CaliaMoko

• Stadium Tour
  • Strumming on the couch in pigtails
    • Late Bloomers Rock
« Reply #27 on: May 28, 2016, 03:12:04 PM »
Thinking about the Emily rhyme line...it wouldn't have to be a perfect rhyme, especially since this is a kind of "unstable" theme. A less than perfect rhyme (say "Slipping away so easily") would support the instability of the theme. And "easily" suggests it's gone before you know it, sort of.

A thought. There are scads of rhymes and near rhymes possible. I just made a list of 42 and quit there. Rapidity, sentimentally, detrimentally, lucidity, inexplicably were among the best ones, I thought. Besides "easily".

Vicki

MartynRich

• Stadium Tour
    • Personal website
« Reply #28 on: May 28, 2016, 03:55:21 PM »
42??? Vicki, you are a lyrical machine. "Easily" is actually a great suggestion. I can't get this chorus out of my head today.

tboswell

• Platinum Album
« Reply #29 on: May 28, 2016, 03:59:03 PM »
Thanks to everyone for taking the time to listen and comment, truly appreciated.

I'm gonna have another listen and see if I need to master it again to give it a little more bottom end.

Thanks for the effort put into the Emily-Readily rhyme. But giving it some more thought myself I don't quite understand to problem. It works fairly well for me and importantly fits the story well.
I've thought through some of the other suggestions from people and none of them quite seem to supercede Readily for me. Is it that it feels like a forced rhyme? Even so it serves the emotional content of the story, I find it hard to figure out if it is something that would only bother songwriters.....mmmmm  ???
Always glad to start some debate tho   :P

Tom.