Reaper - new v 5.20 includes midi musical notation editor

• 5 Replies

MartynRich

• Stadium Tour
    • Personal website
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2016, 04:42:54 PM »
Have we had an impartial discussion on the best DAW? I know its subjective but it would be interesting...I´ve just upgraded to Logic Pro X and am quite excited about getting to know it. I also have Reaper, Audacity and of course, Garageband.

Reaper is 60€ if you do the decent thing and pay for it and I remember forking out over 500 quid for a Yamaha 4-track portastudio 20 years ago. How times have changed.

pompeyjazz

• Stadium Tour
  • pompeyjazz

MartynRich

• Stadium Tour
    • Personal website
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2016, 11:07:38 PM »
It does get good reviews...doesn´t seem intuitive to use though. I did play around with the hiss removal tool on it and that worked a treat. You do everything on Repaer right John?

pompeyjazz

• Stadium Tour
  • pompeyjazz
« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2016, 11:27:25 PM »
Yep ! Reaper is great for me. I've only been doing home recording for just a year. Strictly one hour a day. Started off with Audacity which was a superb entry daw but midi stuff floored it for me. My best tip for removing hiss was from Pauladds . Sing under a duvet ! I do all the vocs like that now dry and add FX later. Hot work in Uk, May be impossible in Espagne unless you are on a weird diet  :)

Cheers John

adamfarr

• Stadium Tour
    • SongEspresso
« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2016, 06:44:59 AM »
I've not used anything else so I can't say whether there are more user-friendly options, but feature-wise, I reckon Reaper can do it all.

The stock plugins are as good as many paid-for ones (in fact some are paid-for ones but without the fancy interface).

What it doesn't have is lots of instruments so you'd need to buy or search around for VSTis you need.