• 15 Replies

Boydie

• Administrator
  • Stadium Tour
« on: May 17, 2016, 09:11:30 PM »
Hiya

I am looking for some feedback on this one

It is a pitch for the following brief:

Submit tracks that would add a lively, exuberant, and rockin’ vibe to Sports TV programming, with killer guitar riffs, driving bass lines, and propulsive drums. Catchy melodic hooks with an attention-grabbing rhythmic approach built around a central melodic theme

The generic style they are looking for is "alt rock"

https://soundcloud.com/boydiemusic/alt-rock-instro

I would be interested to know if you could hear this alongside sports TV footage?
To check out my music please visit:

http://soundcloud.com/boydiemusic

Twitter: https://twitter.com/BoydieMusic

MartynRich

• Stadium Tour
    • Personal website
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2016, 09:35:31 PM »
Hi Boydie

I could definitely hear it alongside a sports TV programme no problem. It rocks, has great bass and guitars and I love the siren effect - that is a real attention grabber at the start of the track.

However, after listening to the reference tracks I think it strays a bit from the brief. This is just an opinion but I think you have a slightly too classic British approach whereas the reference tracks are a little less busy and slightly more American stylistically. The main riff in particular sounds very Rolling Stones. I am not criticising the piece at all - I think it sounds fantastic, but my own experience of trying to put music forward for these things is basically having to copycat exactly the styles you hear in the guide tracks. You have to get as close as you can to them without risking being taken to court  ;D

My suggestion would be to drop the low guitar riff at the start and bring in the Rolling Stones style rhythmic riff straight after the siren, with a four on the floor beat. Later on bring in the riff that starts at 15 seconds. Keep it simple and keep repeating these hooks...I think it may be more in line with what they want. You should make it shorter as well - they normally don't want more than a minute to 90 seconds for these things.

Saying all of this, I am not a television producer and everything Ive said could be complete rubbish. It often is. FWIW I loved listening to it, a fantastic piece of classic rock.

PaulAds

• Stadium Tour
  • Haemorrhaging Enthusiasm
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2016, 09:39:28 PM »
it sounds great, Boydie...the only thing for me was that i picked up a bit of "saturday night's alright for fighting" ?

i may well be wrong...it's not a song i'm particularly familiar with...
« Last Edit: May 17, 2016, 09:44:42 PM by PaulAds »
heart of stone, feet of clay, knob of butter

delb0y

• Platinum Album
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2016, 10:01:52 PM »
It's great stuff, but I agree with Martyn - bring the Stonesy (Elton!) riff in right away. I'm trying to imagine watching some high speed MotoGP action highlights and this would fit - but it needs to get right to the point right away. Nice guitar picking!
West Country Country Boy

Skub

• Stadium Tour
    • Soundcloud
« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2016, 10:02:26 PM »
It haz the RAWK.  8)

For my tired old ears,which are prolly fubarred anyway,I'd like the drums up a bit. They are ok at the very start,but from about 30secs in they are lost behind the guitars.

As for the brief...sounds fitting to me,but then what the hell would I know?  :D

Enjoyed it.

Moar drums!

tina m

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2016, 10:52:45 PM »
my honest opinion is no ....the guitars are doing lots but the drums are doing nothing & are not driving it at all ....its not moving at all
i also didnt hear any melodic hooks ..it wasnt very catchy to my ears
it also sounded dated.... modern rock just doesnt sound like that & im sure they would want something modern surely
im sorry if ive savaged it a bit boydie but you asked for a critical opininion ....im in a bad mood anyway so im sorry
right who else wants a black eye? ;D
Tell me Im wonderful & I ll be nice to you :)

crystalsuzy

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2016, 01:39:01 AM »
Nice to hear something from you Boydie :) haven't heard much from you for a while  ???
Cool rock track, and it certainly fulfills all the requirements of that brief, but I don't know if I'd
call it 'alt rock', but then I really don't know what's what, when it comes to the different sub-genres  ???
The main riff sounds a little too familiar to me, but maybe that doesn't matter ;)
I think I could hear this alongside sports TV footage, but then again, I don't watch sports much :o

hardtwistmusic

• Stadium Tour
  • Central Oregon Sunset
« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2016, 07:04:49 AM »
I think it's entirely appropriate for sports.... especially high impact sports. 

And I too heard too much "Saturday Night's All Right for Fighting" in it.  I would re-work that if it were me. 
www.reverbnation.com/hardtwistmusicsongwriter

Verlon Gates  -  60 plus years old.

Binladeda

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #8 on: May 18, 2016, 09:15:47 AM »

Hi Boydie,

Ticks all the boxes.  Think you could 'cherry pick' this as
 they won't want 3.30mins.  Also think it needs a stronger
 hook......something that 'screams' at the top of the neck.
 With a lot of sustain ;D ;D I liked those long bends and they
 are 'hooky', but, IMO, I think it needs a stronger one.  ;D

Good luck with this.  Watch those contracts. Last one I was
 offered, the guy not only wanted 50% and the rights to all
 versions, he wanted me to pay his tax on all earnings as well ;D
 I haven't signed it........

Nowt as queer as folk...........my gran

tboswell

• Platinum Album
« Reply #9 on: May 18, 2016, 09:48:22 AM »
Generally sounds great Boydie, especially when the lead guitar comes in.

If was gonna change anything I would look at the bass and drums. I find the beat a bit distracting with the offbeat hit on the snare. Might be interesting for a bit but for the main section I think a more regular placement of the snare might work better.
The bass is good but I would add some crunch to it. I would loved to have a heard a section where the bass, drums and guitar riff lock tight together. But maybe such variation is not interesting when writing backdrop music for TV...not sure.

The guitars maybe a little loud mix wise as well, to my ears. The drums sound a little in the distance with them so high and close.

It's really great though and is just the sort of thing I would expect for sports.

Tom.

adamfarr

• Stadium Tour
    • SongEspresso
« Reply #10 on: May 18, 2016, 01:54:48 PM »
I could definitely see the highlights or the goals of the month playing with this over the top.

I'd have to agree with the others though - more drums (for a more modern sound?) and less "Saturday"...

Jamie

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #11 on: May 18, 2016, 03:17:41 PM »
Hi, I thought it was really good except the Saturday night parts, they were just too generic. I also agree with others that the drums and bass aren't punchy enough. I liked the off beat drumming, worked for me. Some great guitar sounds in there too.
Maybe needs a bit more refining IMHO!
Cheers
Jamie

tina m

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #12 on: May 18, 2016, 10:17:39 PM »
i hope you didnt think i was being rude last night
i have listened again & like it more... the guitars are lovely & sinewy but i still think the drums are playing the wrong thing & do it no favours & it does sound dated with that stones/ elton riff  :)
Tell me Im wonderful & I ll be nice to you :)

Movin Flavour

• Platinum Album
« Reply #13 on: May 18, 2016, 10:42:04 PM »
Ticks all the boxes.

Does have that Grand Prix/ motor racing feel about it.

Can definitely hear that Saturday night rift.

Sandeep

pompeyjazz

• Stadium Tour
  • pompeyjazz
« Reply #14 on: May 19, 2016, 11:16:54 PM »
Hi Boydie. 1. I think that this is a very motor racing (Cars or bikes) orientation track. 2. I would really like to hear some more bass and drums to give it a heavy drive. 3. It does sound a wee bit like Saturday night's alright for fighting by Elton John. No bad thing as that's a classic track. Maybe throw in a dirty synth ????

Cheers John