konalavadome

Eurovision - Good Viewing for a Songwriter?

• 19 Replies

tboswell

• Platinum Album
« on: May 14, 2016, 08:45:17 PM »
Just watching Eurovision.
Do people think it is a valid forum for different cultures to show off their songwriting talents? Does it represent the state of songwriting on the continent? Can we learn something as songwriters watching it? Or is it all glitter and OTT showmanship?

Discuss...

Tom.

tone

• Administrator
  • Stadium Tour
  • Forum Former Führer
  • The People's Democratic Republic of Songwriting
    • Anthony Lane on soundcloud
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2016, 09:16:17 PM »
I think it's songwriting kryptonite! I HATE IT. I cannot state this enough - I viscerally hate it with a robustly physical loathing.

It's not about songwriting that I can tell. It's a cynical, twisted kind of international x factor that's got a nasty political streak running through it. I have never heard a song I like in this competition. Even the Abba Eurovision song is pretty rough in my opinion. And don't even get me started on bucks fizz...

As for a valid arena for international artists to show off their songwriting chops, what's wrong with good old record-making, marketing and radio play?

Eurovision is a big karaoke contest as far as I can see, except all the artists have a deliberately cheesy song written for them, which they then have to sing as though they cared about it. Excruciating.

Did I mention that I hate it? :D
New EP: Straitjacket - Listen here

1st track from my upcoming album -- Click to listen -- Thanks!

Please read the rules before posting in the feedback forums http://bit.l

tina m

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2016, 09:19:11 PM »
its a fabulous laugh & great giggly family viewing...i do miss wogan tho....no not Miss Wogan ...Terry wogan....musically it is a mixture of bizarre & awful & cringeworthy & sometimes even hiding behind the settee...im sure i wont hear anything as good as what gets posted on this forum
sorry got to go back for more!
Tell me Im wonderful & I ll be nice to you :)

pompeyjazz

• Stadium Tour
  • pompeyjazz
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2016, 11:01:00 PM »
Was puppet on a string a Eurovision song ? Was Congratulations by Cliff a Eurovision song. Can't remember, just seeking clarification

John

S.T.C

• Stadium Tour
  • American Cars........out now
    • http://oldsongsnew.com/
« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2016, 12:26:34 AM »
Last years Dutch entry..Calm before the storm ,by The Common Linnets is a very good song..way to good for this contest.

diademgrove

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2016, 07:14:10 AM »
Was puppet on a string a Eurovision song ? Was Congratulations by Cliff a Eurovision song. Can't remember, just seeking clarification

John

Yes and Waterloo by Abba. Still don't watch it though.

GuyBarry

• Solo Gig
« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2016, 08:22:45 AM »
Was Congratulations by Cliff a Eurovision song.

It was, though it didn't win - famously pipped at the post by the Spanish entry "La La La" (though years later it was revealed that the voting was rigged).

I used to love Eurovision back in the 70s and 80s when the UK regularly used to come in the top two.  Even in the 90s we generally continued to perform well, dipping a bit with Jonathan King's misguided attempt to change the style with "Love City Groove" but then coming back strongly with our 1997 winner "Love Shine a Light", performed by Katrina and the Waves.  For me that's almost a perfect Eurovision song - simple, catchy melody, clear lyrics with a straightforward message.  I was surprised by how little publicity the British win got at the time - maybe because it was two days after Tony Blair's first landslide election victory.

Then along came Jemini in 2003, with their appalling performance in the wrong key.  Naturally it got nul points because it was literally painful to listen to, but that didn't stop a lot of journalists who had probably never heard the performance from claiming that it was all political and to do with the UK's participation in the Iraq war.  The UK hasn't really recovered since then - our best place was 5th in 2009.  Is it too cynical of me to suggest that the voting is regarded as "political" when the UK does badly, but not when the UK does well?

tone

• Administrator
  • Stadium Tour
  • Forum Former Führer
« Reply #7 on: May 15, 2016, 08:25:41 AM »
And Ukraine wins! Did I not say Eurovision is about politics when you strip away the bearded lady?! ;)

The S

• Solo Gig
« Reply #8 on: May 15, 2016, 08:48:29 AM »
The only true drawback with having kids, you can't escape watching this parade of sh1t songs.

:D

Thankfully, my kids will be old enough and hopefully stop watching this in what...(counts on fingers) 2,3...no wait...6, 7...no...in about 10 to 15 years.

Oh. My. Gawd.

MartynRich

• Stadium Tour
    • Personal website
« Reply #9 on: May 15, 2016, 03:17:03 PM »
The only good thing about the Eurovision is it isn´t on every channel at the same time.

Occasionally you do get a good song, but who wants to take the risk by sitting through the rest of it? Awful.

hardtwistmusic

• Stadium Tour
  • Central Oregon Sunset
« Reply #10 on: May 20, 2016, 05:29:58 AM »
I think it's songwriting kryptonite! I HATE IT. I cannot state this enough - I viscerally hate it with a robustly physical loathing.

It's not about songwriting that I can tell. It's a cynical, twisted kind of international x factor that's got a nasty political streak running through it. I have never heard a song I like in this competition. Even the Abba Eurovision song is pretty rough in my opinion. And don't even get me started on bucks fizz...

As for a valid arena for international artists to show off their songwriting chops, what's wrong with good old record-making, marketing and radio play?

Eurovision is a big karaoke contest as far as I can see, except all the artists have a deliberately cheesy song written for them, which they then have to sing as though they cared about it. Excruciating.

Did I mention that I hate it? :D

Just a quick question.  I have never listened to the contest.  My sole recollection of it was after the first one when Mocedades won with a song called "Eres Tu" (which I loved.)  Elton John wrote and performed a very forgettable song for Britain. 

"Eres Tu" is the only song I could identify from the contest in the 43 years since it began.  I would assume that my reaction to the contest would therefore match your own. 

My question is this.  What did you think of that song.  (Eres Tu)

www.reverbnation.com/hardtwistmusicsongwriter

Verlon Gates  -  60 plus years old.

tboswell

• Platinum Album
« Reply #11 on: May 20, 2016, 08:51:12 AM »
Looked "Eres Tu" up, seems it only came in second place in 1973. I think Eurovision probably had more more chance of generating a good song back then than it has now (though good things still creep through I suppose).

Here's a link to it:

I think the song is great actually, never heard it but I like it a lot. No idea what any of the words mean mind

MartynRich

• Stadium Tour
    • Personal website
« Reply #12 on: May 20, 2016, 09:04:51 AM »
That could be our new competition. We all send in a song for the next Eurovision and see who gets the furthest. All streaming royalties go towards a curry night out.

Skub

• Stadium Tour
    • Soundcloud
« Reply #13 on: May 20, 2016, 12:14:18 PM »
I don't watch Eurovision,but then I don't watch much tele outside of bike racing anyway.

A couple of years ago we were asked to do 'Calm of the Storm' an entry from a Netherlands band named The Common Linnets. Much to my surprise the song became a regular in our set,often using it as a soundchecker too. So it ain't all borrox. It didn't win though!

Here's a link if ya wanna...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hkrF8uC92O4

tone

• Administrator
  • Stadium Tour
  • Forum Former Führer
« Reply #14 on: May 20, 2016, 12:33:52 PM »
My question is this.  What did you think of that song.  (Eres Tu)
I'm listening to it for the first time right now. I'm sorry to say my first reaction is nil points :p

I know I'm being harsh when I slate the entire 4 decades of song submissions, and of course I haven't heard even a small fraction of them. It's more the sense that the competition seems to attract only a very narrow slice of songwriting. It's all very, very safe, and I like writers who take risks. You'd never hear this on eurovision for example

I liken Eurovision to an art exhibition that only shows those photographs you see on posters in Athena