Easily distracted

• 14 Replies

Neil C

• Stadium Tour
« on: June 01, 2016, 11:55:20 PM »
Here's one hot off the presses.

I always like songs which have a turnaround or twist in the title like 'You're my favourite waste of time' by Owen Paul or 'Favourite mistake' by Sheryl Crow and I developed these autobiographical lyrics around this title.

And Scub was recently talking about keeping things dead simple, so guitar in hand it all came together over a Saturday. I've tried to keep the arrangement direct and simple too.

So please let me know what you think, thanks in anticipation

:)
Neil

https://soundcloud.com/neilconnor-2

Always been that way ever since I was small
Teachers told me to concentrate, when all I was, was bored
Always been that way, I guess I always will
Looking for the next adventure for the latest thrill

So distract me like there is no other
Attract me and then run for cover

Easily distracted. There’s so many things to do. 
Easily distracted. But not with you.

I’m of the species, I'm on the spectrum
Excite, delight so many things to do
So find me my lyrics and give me a plectrum
I've written this song for you

Concentration has its time and place
But playing wins in each and every case

Easily distracted. There’s so many things to do. 

Patience is a virtue I never learnt in school
Patience is a virtue that I learnt to bend because of you

Always been that way ever since I was small
Teachers told me to concentrate, when all I was, was bored
Always been that way, I guess I always will
Looking for the next adventure for the latest thrill

So distract me like there is no other
Attract me and then run for cover

Easily distracted. So many things to do. 
Easily distracted.

Easily distracted. So many things to do. 

c N Connor 2016

songwriter of no repute..

delb0y

• Platinum Album
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2016, 06:05:01 AM »
Hi Neil, great idea for a lyric. Love the La La La La's which sound very much like a man being easily distracted - very clever (although to me, the second La always feels slightly off pitch - but it actually adds to that "distracted" feeling and so might actually be bang on. Be interested to get other views - my ears aren't the best) I ! A lovely clean feel to the whole recording and it builds nicely. I must admit I prefer the bigger sound of the middle section / second half when the harmonies and backing vocals are afoot. It feels like a couple of lines in the first verse don't quite scan right - but I'm not sure it matters. The bass is great. I loved the clean bluesy solo right at the beginning but I'm not sure it's needed - it felt like you were giving me a little promise of something to come later (i.e. more guitar) that never happened. Listened to it a couple of times and will listen a few more - always a good sign!

Cheers
Derek
West Country Country Boy

montydog

• Stadium Tour
  • http://i60.photobucket.com/albums/h40/montydog1/Me
    • Reverbnation
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2016, 12:09:19 PM »
Hi Neil,

God, I wish I could play guitar like you  :'(

Great title and concept - reminds me of teachers' comments in my end of term report!

This has your usual wonderful soundscape and warm, inviting vibe. I thought you were a little vocally stretched on some of those high notes but they were very high.

I don't think it's the strongest song you've posted on first listen but I suspect it will be a grower. Some of the lyrics do seem a little compressed into the space but overall, it's a fine effort.

M

CaliaMoko

• Stadium Tour
  • Strumming on the couch in pigtails
    • Late Bloomers Rock
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2016, 05:04:45 PM »
I like the subject matter of this song. :) The instrumentation throughout appeals to me. I always like a good bass line.

Couple nits: The lead vocal sometimes gets a little buried by the accompaniment and/or the background vocals. And the high notes sound pretty strained. Have you tried slipping into falsetto? I wonder if that would work for you. At least you can sing the high notes. My voice just totally shuts off when I try to go high.  :P

That's all I have.

Vicki

Movin Flavour

• Platinum Album
« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2016, 08:30:41 PM »
Neil,

Great subject matter.

A good listen, I like the lyrics and the guitar playing is excellent.

I like the La Las in the songs.

Sandeep

adamfarr

• Stadium Tour
    • SongEspresso
« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2016, 06:59:27 AM »
Sounds very authentic and honest. Warm is a very good description of the atmosphere here. The bridge works well (you certainly didn't compromise on vocal range - really hard).

My least favourite part was verse 2 - but then I never really like songs about songwriting. Spectrum and plectrum make a bold rhyme and, again, that's very personal-sounding place to go, but I did do a double take which broke the mood for me.

But the song idea is a great one and as always your music just seems to drip off the strings.

pompeyjazz

• Stadium Tour
  • pompeyjazz
« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2016, 08:18:52 AM »
That trademark Neil C sound works so well. This reminds me of some of Elvis Costello's more mellow tracks. Great instrumentation and vibe. That vocal is a killer to nail though and I think you've done a good job. Like Adam, not too sure about the "plectrum" rhyme in V2 but apart from that no nits from me.

Nice One  :)

John

Neil C

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #7 on: June 03, 2016, 08:54:59 AM »
Thanks for listening and comments, this one is rather personal.

John, glad it works, EC thats great

Adam, 'authentic, warm and honest' thanks.  re V2 its got a bit of humour in here especially for my wife, its her saying all men are on the spectrum, so writing the song for her and then rhyming plectrum was too obvious not to go for I'm afraid  ;D

Sandeep, thanks for your comments 

Vicki, pleased you liked it, especially the bass, it gives me more buzz playing that than just about anything else. The vocals maybe slightly low in the mix possibility in the later verses, i didn't do any automation on the levels. And the high notes, I'd agree. I did have the end of the choruses the octave below and it was buried so i went for it. Interestingly by falsetto   which I use on occasions doesn't seem to go any higher in range..

Monty, wish I could sing like you. End of term reports - lord they just went on and on, if only he''d concentrate and stop talking...

Derek, glad you got the 'la's' I panned them alternate stereo to and you're probably right about the pitch, i left them in from an earlier take. Re the point about early lines in V1 I think its the way I sing them rather than them not being able to scan or read right. And regarding the early guitar you're right its a false trail, just sounded nice so kept it in.

:)
Neil
songwriter of no repute..

tboswell

• Platinum Album
« Reply #8 on: June 03, 2016, 09:23:36 AM »
Great stuff Neil, very easy and enjoyable to listen to.

Particularly liked the bridge which threw in some unexpected chords and really caught me attention. I quite liked the spectrum-plectrum for the same reason though I can understand why it may draw the attention of rhyming police  :D

I thought it could be a little faster paced, some of the verse melodies seems to land a little heavily on he beat in a predictable way. But speeding up the whole thing would help that.
In the chorus there is plenty of nice rhythmical variation to the melody  :)

Always a pleasure to hear such fine craft at work  :)

Tom.

Skub

• Stadium Tour
    • Soundcloud
« Reply #9 on: June 03, 2016, 10:50:42 AM »
I've always loved odd 60s songs such as Pink Floyd - Apples and Oranges/Arnold Lane/See Emily Play. It's the whimsy that gets me,I think. This is a whimsical tune for sure,a little time capsule invoking all sorts of half recalled memories.  Cool work Neil :)

I can readily identify with the lyrical sentiments too.....now where was I...

Oooh look,a shiny thing....

digger72

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #10 on: June 03, 2016, 07:19:56 PM »
Hi Neil,

Cool guitar and bass especially.
Liked the panning on the La La Las - added to the distracted vibe.
The "bored" in V1 sounded a bit of a struggle - super low. Not sure if that was intentional.
Catchy chorus.

Digger

tina m

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #11 on: June 03, 2016, 09:36:30 PM »
where is this song? ive got a page full of  your songs going back years..... you rock stars need to treat your fans better!
 ive just found one called 'too old to rock' ...this aint austin texas its clacton on sea!
haha i like that

right.. after half an hour searching ive found the right song i think
the bass sounds great & the guitar playing is very cool as usual
this must be your theme song i reckon neil..my spelling isnt the best but ive noticed yours is realy creative? ...like you are going to say something but get distracted & type something bizarrely unrelated
anyway it all sounds charmingly english & its impossible not to like your humble & slightly awkward style :)
you remind me of syd barret without the drugs
Tell me Im wonderful & I ll be nice to you :)

seriousfun

• Stadium Tour
    • Allan Kilgour - Original Compositions
« Reply #12 on: June 04, 2016, 05:05:15 AM »
One of the real stengths of your productions is your wonderful arrangements and solid guitar play. This is again evident. As others have mentioned, a fairly tasty bassline in this. Nice entry with the guitar and ten pulling back to the simple arrangement for the first verse didn't really work for me as it felt like a back ward step for the song IMHP.  I would have liked something else in that verse, though I realise you are trying to build the song ( and you do , as the rest is first rate.)

Nice doubling of the vocals in the chorus and the la la la parts add to the vibe of the song.

Nice one mate.

MartynRich

• Stadium Tour
    • Personal website
« Reply #13 on: June 04, 2016, 09:02:05 AM »
Lovely song Neil, nothing much to add. Guitar playing and backing all really nice and smooth...maybe add some rhythmic change to the singing in places for variety but just an opinion. Very nice work - I always find your music a pleasure to listen to.

Wolfini

• Solo Gig
« Reply #14 on: June 04, 2016, 12:03:00 PM »
Hey Neil,

I listened to the song but then I got distracted...  ;D

Very nice idea for the song and a great title. In your post you wrote about a twist, and it is there in the "punch" line "but not with you". I wish you had elaborated on that point a bit more in the song. Because all the rest of the lyrics is about getting distracted, and we never learn why that "you" person is so undistractifiable. Or whatever. Maybe a whole part about how fascinating she is, or something like two lines about being distracted and one as the twist why that is not true with her etc.?

I loved the instrumental intro and would have wished for more of that, also to break up the structure a bit more.

Bye Wolfi

Finished albums: wolfgangn.bandcamp.com
Recent songs: soundclick.com/wolfini