Switchblade

• 21 Replies

hardtwistmusic

• Stadium Tour
  • Central Oregon Sunset
« Reply #15 on: May 13, 2016, 05:05:18 AM »

i might be imagning but your singing a little freer i think.. moving into dean martin territory maybe and why not?

Yeah.... I hadn't noticed that, but now that you bring it up, there is a "Deano" quality to the vocals.

I was wracking my brain for someone to compare this vocal to, and you found a very natural and applicable example. 

THAT comparison (to Martin) is (from my perspective) high praise.  The ultra smooth quality to Alan's vocals on this song is very similar to Martin's smooth, conversational style and voice. 

Few people can do that.  Few should even attempt it.  Alan nailed it. 

Truly beautiful. 
www.reverbnation.com/hardtwistmusicsongwriter

Verlon Gates  -  60 plus years old.

PTCruiser1801

• Open Mic
« Reply #16 on: May 15, 2016, 12:29:20 AM »
Hi Alan,

Typing this as I listen...hope you don't mind!

First thing I notice is the flowing effortlessness of the lyrics...tremendously difficult to do, but you've hit it perfectly on the head here...well done!

Great singing all round in this track...nicely complimenting each other!

I like that the lyrics don't necessarily scream the story at the listener and they require some interpretation and concentration to understand!

Great stuff! :)

Jamie

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #17 on: May 19, 2016, 09:31:17 AM »
Hi Alan, a very good song with probably the best production I've heard from your rcordings.Smooth vocals as ever and some lovely harmonies. A very authentic country sound and lyric with some very nice harmonica and slide guitar.
Very good!
Cheers
Jamie

crystalsuzy

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #18 on: May 22, 2016, 01:32:07 PM »
I think I'm loosing my mind, because I was sure I'd written a review of this beautifully
crafted song Alan  ::)
You are a master at writing and delivering a wonderfully poetic story in a song :)
The imagery is magnificent :) I loved every minute of this track.
Your vocals are always so smooth and velvet like, and your wife's harmonies are spot on,
and really add a nice touch :)
Boydies 'magical mastering tour' is icing on the cake  ;D Kudos  :)

Binladeda

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #19 on: May 22, 2016, 03:22:48 PM »

Hey Monty,

Lovely song my friend ;D  Especially like the harmonica, gives
 the song a nice feel, and love the vocals....of course ;D
 Mrs. Montys harmonies are wonderful.

My only thought was that the tone of the slide gtr was a bit
 dull sounding.  Something 'sweeter' sounding, higher up the neck
 maybe  ;D  Just my taste though......'tis a fine song old chap ;D ;D

Nowt as queer as folk...........my gran

montydog

• Stadium Tour
  • http://i60.photobucket.com/albums/h40/montydog1/Me
    • Reverbnation
« Reply #20 on: May 27, 2016, 11:20:42 AM »
OK, it's time to respond to the comments you guys have kindly contributed.

@ CaliaMoko - Thanks Vicki. The twist at the end is that the judge let the killer off because "He remembered why you ran".

@ delb0y - Hi, yes it is a dobro and thanks for your positive feedback on the production, melody and lyrics.

@ tinam - You were a bit off the mark with your reading of the story of this one but thanks for your comments on the harmonica - it is such an effective weapon for the musically challenged such as myself!

@ pompeyjazz - Thanks for the lovely comments - much appreciated. 

@Movin Flavour - Again, great that you liked the harmonica and I'll take the Beautiful South comparison; they are among my favourites.

@ Neil C - Thanks for your kind words about the lyrics - it's probably what I spend more time on than anything else. I'm pleased you like the harmony - I'll pass that on to Jan.

@ MarynRich - Glad you liked the song - that's more than half the battle!

@ tboswell - Thanks for your complimentary comments on my harmonica and dobro playing - I'm a pretty hopeless musician so that means a lot. I have only just started playing bass guitar (I think this was the second time I recorded myself) so your comments on it's failings are pretty spot on.

@Skub - Thanks for the comments on the song writing and Jan's harmonies - much appreciated. I hope you enjoyed the heavily orchestrated song I sent you the link to.

@ hardtwistmusic - Great comments Verlon - so pleased you liked it. If you don't get the lyrics, it doesn't matter as long as just enjoyed the images. Dean Martin, eh? I'll take it :-)

@ IronKnee - Thanks for the lovely comments, Tom. I really like your material and the fact that you "get" the genre.

@ adamfarr - Thanks for the kind words about the lyrics - I do take a lot of time with them. Thanks for the link to the UK Country radio station. I intend to get all my country flavoured songs together and send them a CD.

@ digger72 - Great than your wife loved it so much. I also like 60's and 70's country singers and Glen Cambell is one of my heroes.

@ nooms - Great that you got the "lovely but doomed" vibe - just what I was aiming for. I have written a conversation song but it just never quite made the grade. It's a good idea though so I might have another go.

@ PTCruiser1801 - Thanks for the comments about the flow of the song - that was something I was aiming for. I was also trying to tell a story but not writing it like a newspaper report - I wanted it to be a little ambiguous to make the listener create their own version of the story.

@ Jamie - Thanks for your compliments on the production. It's an area I have tried very hard to improve. Also great that you approved of the harmonica and dobro playing.

@ crystalsuzy - Such lovely comments - made me go all funny:-) Thank you.

@ Binladeda - Thanks for commenting Bin. Maybe I need some new strings on my dobro! Thanks for the kind words about the song and the singing.

Jambrains

• Platinum Album
  • Jim Steinman ftw!
    • Jambrains
« Reply #21 on: May 27, 2016, 03:47:39 PM »
Wow, lots to like here! The great, great vocals of course and the BV as well. Some nice unexpected twist in the chord progressions as well to keep interest as well. Not very familiar with the genre but to these untrained era it sounds spot on.
Only constructive critique I can give would be: in the first couple of bars the guitar seems to no to be quite in sync with the beat (but I can be wrong, but at least that is how I hear it). Personally I would bring up the bass just a tad or at least even it out, in some passages it's is fine but in others it sort of disappears.
But that is no big deal really, well done!