Switchblade

• 21 Replies

montydog

• Stadium Tour
  • http://i60.photobucket.com/albums/h40/montydog1/Me
    • Reverbnation
« on: May 09, 2016, 03:29:30 PM »
Hi,

Here's another song from my batch of new recordings beautifully mastered by Boydie.

It's about a son or daughter who decides to stop their father battering their mother for once and for all. They then go on the run, get caught and tried. There is a twist in the end which I hope you get.

All your feedback is as always much appreciated. My wife, Janine is singing harmony vocals BTW.

https://soundcloud.com/alan-walker-4/switchblade

As unkind unwinds
And you cross the stateline
Past junkyards and coalmines                
And a cruel wind that burns you blind

When the night screams with bad dreams
Your Daddy kept his hands clean
Mummy was a beauty queen
Pill bottles and tight blue jeans

Walk down to the river
Your faith will wash you clean
You  were born a believer
Forgotten words on a silver screen

Watch the blood fade on the switchblade
It's all prepaid cool aid
Steel sinews and a chrome spade
Pretty flowers for the home parade

With his eyes bright as a wolf bite
In the grey metal gunsight
Hidden in the half light
He won't but you just might

Walk down to the river

The smell of woodsmoke,
Thick coils of old rope
Hanging from the field post
As all your  little dreams got broke

As the time flies, your goodbyes
Across blue skies and train rides
They just can't disguise
That all his words were lies

Walk down to the river

In the town square with trees bare
From the winter's cold stare
Your breath is fine mist
On the silk skin that you kiss

Out here only God knows
How long the wind blows
Take your hat off to the old man
Who still remembers why you ran
« Last Edit: May 09, 2016, 06:55:58 PM by montydog »

CaliaMoko

• Stadium Tour
  • Strumming on the couch in pigtails
    • Late Bloomers Rock
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2016, 05:38:54 PM »
The accompaniment sets a perfect mood for the content of the lyric. I confess I did not get the twist at the end, but I am rather dense so it's no surprise, really. I especially appreciate how you made extensive use of rhyming words.

Vicki

delb0y

• Platinum Album
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2016, 06:16:25 PM »
Listening to this on the laptop speakers - so I might be missing a lot of the subtleties of the production. But it sounds very polished. Vocals sit nicely on top of the music which rolls along very nicely. Last verse, when the harp comes back in, and is that a dobro, all very nice too! The melody is good and the harmonies work well. The lyrics are excellent with some lovely rhymes within the lines - but I've no idea what has happened, or what the twist is. Maybe the old man they killed is still alive? But didn't they bury him? Or maybe they killed the wrong man? I will have to give this a lesson through headphones when I get chance. I have a feeling there's a lot more to it than I'm getting through these little speakers. But good work - I always enjoy your songs, and anything involving murders and folks on the run, junkyards and rivers, beauty queens and silver screens is good in my book!  :)
West Country Country Boy

tina m

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2016, 07:29:11 PM »
i love that harmonica & i do love a good tale of murder & intrigue & justice
i liked the lyrics tho the story i got in my head was probably a bit more sensational than you intended (i watch too much telly !)
it sounded to me like the son stabbed the violent dad then hit him with a spade then shot him then hanged him ..omg i was horrified & spellbound...but then when he came out of prison the father was there to meet him so he kissed him & took his hat off to him & said dad you old son of a gun you are indestructible & they forgave each other...but i mightve got it wrong
its quite unusual hearing such a violent song done with your soothing & calm tones
i wasnt sure your voice & your wifes worked together well in the chorus
but what a story!
Tell me Im wonderful & I ll be nice to you :)

pompeyjazz

• Stadium Tour
  • pompeyjazz
« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2016, 08:22:28 PM »
This has got such a lovely feel to it Alan and it's a great story as well. I particularly like the harmonica and the slide guitar on the last verse. It's a really dreamy feeling song with a strong story. Can't criticise anything about it. Excellent  :)

Pompeyjazz

Movin Flavour

• Platinum Album
« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2016, 09:04:27 PM »
Alan,

Great song....lyrics are very good, but I particularly like the harmonica and the harmonies with the backing vocals.

Echoes of Beautiful South for me, especially when I hear you and your wife singing together.

Definitely got a great country feel about it, but crosses genres as well.

Very well produced.

Sandeep

Neil C

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2016, 07:18:58 AM »
Alan,
Superb lyrics
Watch the blood fade on the switchblade
It's all prepaid cool aid
Steel sinews and a chrome spade
Pretty flowers for the home parade
Wow.
Nice unobtrusive backing and the harp sounds great.
And the highlight was the harmony vocals with your wife, they really work.
 :)
Neil
songwriter of no repute..

MartynRich

• Stadium Tour
    • Personal website
« Reply #7 on: May 10, 2016, 10:25:51 AM »
I really like this song. I think the performance is great and the lyrics are very inventive (daddy was a preacher man?). I would have liked to hear more of your wife, especially in the verses where she could have done some complimentary harmonies - I think that would have added a nice extra layer to your smooth sounding vocals.

The harmonica is great, but it came through sounding as thought it had too much top end on my speakers, which of course may be my speakers...and the slide as well...very nice indeed. Top job.

tboswell

• Platinum Album
« Reply #8 on: May 10, 2016, 02:53:01 PM »
Loved this, some great melancholy movements in the harmony that worked for me very well.

The harmonica and slide guitar are both beautifully played. Lovely vocals from you both.

I did find the rhythm section pushed a little too far back, wanted to hear the drums and bass a little more. Think some rim-shots on the drums would work really and allow it to be further forward in the mix.
The bass is a little passive for me in places, just on the beat and then at times jumps out with a little line and broke the mood for me. I can hear a rolling rhythm for the bass that would blend better with the elements around it perhaps.

But the overall atmosphere, both from the musical elements and lyrics is really well realised.

Lovely work!  :)

Tom.   

Skub

• Stadium Tour
    • Soundcloud
« Reply #9 on: May 10, 2016, 08:44:37 PM »
Very well done Alan. You preserve your own personal minimalist musical integrity while allowing the tasteful addition of some gub iron and dobro. Before you know it,there'll be a Montydog track with full orchestral arrangement,all the bells and whistles! It's a slippery slope, I tell ya!

Lovely song,great writing and fine harmonies by the boss.

hardtwistmusic

• Stadium Tour
  • Central Oregon Sunset
« Reply #10 on: May 10, 2016, 09:06:30 PM »
Loved the chorus.  Didn't just like it, I loved it. 

The rest, quite frankly, I didn't get.  That really didn't matter.  The music and vocal was sufficient in itself to just let the lyric paint word pictures. 

The accompaniment had a "feel" to it that was extremely reminiscent of "Everybody's Talking at Me" by Harry Nillson.  Marvelous. 
www.reverbnation.com/hardtwistmusicsongwriter

Verlon Gates  -  60 plus years old.

IronKnee

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #11 on: May 11, 2016, 03:30:37 AM »
Hey there montydog..........very, very nice. A classic style that lives and breathes very vibrantly today. I have always liked this 60's / 70's , Folk / Country flavor.
Outstanding...........beautiful writing, and really like the performances. It's great that you include your wife. I include my wife whenever she finds the inspiration.  ;)
Good stuff, man...............always looking out for something new, from you!
                                                                                     8) -Tom
"I know the truth, by my struggle against it"
                                                          -IronKnee

adamfarr

• Stadium Tour
    • SongEspresso
« Reply #12 on: May 11, 2016, 12:51:43 PM »
Absolutely love the lyrics here - all the internal rhymes and wordplay is something to admire. So much work I am sure but you can't hear that it was work. I've said it before but it's great to hear all elements working together perfectly to serve the song.

(Speaking very quietly - I'd still like you to tweak the BVs to line up more precisely with the main vocal - I'm OCD but found it just a bit distracting! Will shut up about that now)

But this is such a great batch of songs. English country is alive and well - you should be on here  http://www.songwriterforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=11190.0

digger72

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #13 on: May 11, 2016, 07:58:08 PM »
Hi Alan,

Mrs D absolutely loved this - made me turn it up.
Indeed I will pass on her review.
She thought your wife's vocal added a nice sweetness to the sound, coupled with your soothing vocal.
She was singing along during the chorus and asked if you had indeed written it. It has a certain familiarity. She likes country music and those 70s artists like Neil diamond, Glen Campbell, etc.

I thought it was very well recorded, performed and produced.

Digger

nooms

• Global Moderator
  • Stadium Tour
  • songwriter
« Reply #14 on: May 13, 2016, 12:13:58 AM »
hi alan
easy sundown feel to this with the strum and drums.. all sits lovely, gentle but doomed..
like the story and the images..
good vocals as expected and nice mix with janine..
i might be imagning but your singing a little freer i think.. moving into dean martin territory maybe and why not..might be the way your using more drums these days..
seem to have an outbreak of murders & dastardly deeds on the forum at the moment..
another one for the album..tick
how about writing a song with alternate voices, like a conversation..?

i may not believe this tomorrow...

https://soundcloud.com/nooms-1