konalavadome

Lines Apart

• 24 Replies

digger72

• Stadium Tour
« on: May 05, 2016, 09:40:36 PM »
Hi All,

We recently had some more success on BBC Introducing. It even sounded half decent when broadcast - which was a bit of a surprise as we'd been disappointed with the sound quality of our efforts when broadcast previously. Which perhaps prompts the question, why did this hold up better than other songs?  All we did different was reduce the reverb levels and work more on mono compatibility. Was this the reason, or something else? Anyone with some ideas please feel free to comment.

It's a simple song and contains some of our favourite lyrics; pretty straight forward theme.

Thanks for listening and any feedback.

Digger

https://thecomfortablystrange.bandcamp.com/track/lines-apart

Lines Apart

The black tide is pulling
And I can't see
I was happy today
But the thought ran free

I could climb through the window
Maybe find you there
But you float like oil
And the sea's run scared

Chorus:
Engineer the wires
We're lines apart
Painting in the air
It's the new art
And are we distant
Or have we found
This is the ceiling
And this is the ground?

Sometimes the silence
Is all I need
Words lie scattered
Stone ground the seed
And though we are touching
The connection is worn
So we take comfort
In a skin now torn

Chorus:

And so we watch
We're perfectly still
The secret's in the shade
But we lost the will.

delb0y

• Platinum Album
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2016, 09:48:53 PM »
Sounds very professional to me, Digger. Interesting what you said about this one sounding better when broadcast than previous efforts - my mixes always sound thin and weedy to me, this has a massive amount of bass when I play it through the same headphones I mix through, so it just goes to show. Goes to show what, is the question!

It's not my style, so I can't really comment with any knowledge or authority, but it sounds mighty impressive and well worked and I'm not surprised you're getting some airplay. Fine paying and singing all round, and an interesting song. Well done and I hope the momentum continues!

West Country Country Boy

pompeyjazz

• Stadium Tour
  • pompeyjazz
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2016, 10:23:40 PM »
Hi Digger. Great stuff again. Moody and magnificent. I love this sort of stuff. It's really difficult to produce something that is as good as this and I think you've got the mix spot on. I'm still amazed though how the same song can sound totally different through another audio setup. You know the scenario where you have been listening through headphones while you are working then you play it on your audio system and you think "hang on man what went on there ?" Love the song, the arrangement and the haunting vocals in particular.

Cheers John

Skub

• Stadium Tour
    • Soundcloud
« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2016, 11:03:45 PM »
Gothic and portentous,love it. Reminds me of 'Within Temptation' and the epic themes they get going with their stuff,dark and melancholic yet melodic. Well juggled digger. The track sounded great here,production wise.

I think the mastering process is meant to allow a song to sound well through a variety of mediums. Boydie is the man to explain that one in detail.

IronKnee

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2016, 07:17:57 AM »
I love the sound you have here, Digger...........beautiful recording. Love the writing. The performances are stellar. I would love to hear a live performance of this.....that would be cool.
Good stuff!
                              -Tom
"I know the truth, by my struggle against it"
                                                          -IronKnee

tina m

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2016, 01:03:20 PM »
this sounds  awesome digger... the music sounds like a goth version of the glitter band recorded in hell
& katja sounds fabulous....i do like her voice.. but she always sounds unhappy so I do worry about her..
the drums & bass sound  is amazing so  dark & foreboding ...
you seem to live on a diet of all this dark sinister stuff...I imagine  your spice rack with jars of doom & despair alongside nutmeg & mixed spice.....i always try to imagine peoples kitchens from there songs :)
but its very tuneful &  the instrumentations are sparse & clever & its got a big open sound like youve sprayed it with nice air freshener..  Glade hades breeze?
Anyway it sounds & smells terrific & well done for getting it on the beeb  :)
the only thing id  change would be the title ...i just dont understand how everyone puts so much effort into the song & making it sound good & then just gives it a plain unremarkable title when the title is the first thing people see
Tell me Im wonderful & I ll be nice to you :)

Movin Flavour

• Platinum Album
« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2016, 07:48:12 PM »
Digger

This is a beautiful song.....I especially love the bass that I keep hearing.

Very moody and atmospheric and the singers voice is wonderful.

I think the production is wonderful,but I'm not an expert in production.

Can understand why the BBC played it.

Sandeep

nooms

• Global Moderator
  • Stadium Tour
  • songwriter
« Reply #7 on: May 06, 2016, 11:44:51 PM »
really impressive digger...
and lovingly put together..
katya vocals superb and good lyrics ..first verse got my attention
excellent spring in the bass, rubberleggings indeed
and keyboards just perfect,  real depth but they doesnt dominate..
great song and sound..
deserve a break you two and i dont mean in hawaii.. well i do eventually.

best of luck with the beeb
i may not believe this tomorrow...

https://soundcloud.com/nooms-1

PTCruiser1801

• Open Mic
« Reply #8 on: May 07, 2016, 08:33:38 PM »
Digger,

I am typing while listening here...

Very professional polished song you have here. I like the mood of the song...it's captivating!

It is the kind of song that makes you want to listen all the way to the end!

The vocal is excellent...a very talented singer in my opinion!

Unfortunately, I have no advice to offer why this sounded better than others...I have no experience in that area!

Jamie

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #9 on: May 08, 2016, 02:32:45 PM »
Hi guys, love this digger, it's a really good song and you've really built on it with some great guitar and synth sounds. Really good and of course Katja's trademark vocals, as good as ever!
Sounded great!
Cheers
Jamie

montydog

• Stadium Tour
  • http://i60.photobucket.com/albums/h40/montydog1/Me
    • Reverbnation
« Reply #10 on: May 09, 2016, 02:36:34 PM »
Hi,

I can see why this went well on "Introducing". Awesome sounding song with great vocals - Katya's voice records so well. Sounds like a pro studio recording to me.

I like the air of menace, doom and detachment that the song conjures up. Not my sort of thing but there's no question it's first rate. Bravo!

M

MartynRich

• Stadium Tour
    • Personal website
« Reply #11 on: May 09, 2016, 03:29:40 PM »
This is ace, so well produced and performed...it is original enough with the production, but little touches like the slight rhythm change in the second verse (especially accentuated by the guitar) and the confident instrumental break, which relies on ambient vocals, take it to another level. Good ending as well.

Really superb work all around.

tboswell

• Platinum Album
« Reply #12 on: May 12, 2016, 09:41:16 AM »
Great clarity to the production here, the reduced reverb and the clear arrangement help with this.

It's a really nicely finished piece with tons of atmosphere. I liked it a lot.

I loved the tone of the vocal, but thought it went a bit pitchy in the chorus and you could have fixed that a bit.

Great work, wish you much more success with it.

Tom.

adamfarr

• Stadium Tour
    • SongEspresso
« Reply #13 on: May 12, 2016, 12:31:13 PM »
Great stuff, really like the way the rhythm picks up in the chorus. Not much more to say really!

digger72

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #14 on: May 16, 2016, 07:34:13 PM »
Hi All,

Thanks for checking out the tune.

My kitchen does indeed have lots of spices - as does Katja's. She is, of course, very miserable - she has to put up with me badgering her, and I've always been a bit of a sullen sort - though not so much these days. :)

Tom - if by fixing the vocal you mean autotune or its ilk, it's not something we use. It's just a case of Katja having a billion attempts (or until she gets bored) and her choosing the one she likes best. Same with mixing really - we keep going till we can't listen anymore and the song is considered done. Amateur? You bet. ;D

Thanks again.

Digger