konalavadome

Getting millions of streams for your hit song? Don't give up your day job!

• 7 Replies

Skub

• Stadium Tour
    • Soundcloud
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2016, 04:50:49 PM »
That's how it is now Paul. Recorded music is virtually worthless,playing live is the only way a band/performer will make money. Songs are just an add on to what makes up the show.

We've had years now of recorded music being freely available,folk just aren't used to paying and thus the product has been devalued. It used to be people wanted to own a music collection,now the trend is shifting to streaming,it's even more transient than in days past.

Mined ewe,I am surprised at the examples in the article getting so little. Rather discouraging if you are aiming for monetary success.   :D

delb0y

• Platinum Album
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2016, 04:58:08 PM »
Live is where it's at for sure!

But like Skub, I'm also surprised at how low those ££s are. Does seem desperately unfair.
West Country Country Boy

Skub

• Stadium Tour
    • Soundcloud
« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2016, 05:00:31 PM »
The article explained it quite well,I thought. A good,if depressing read.

This sums it up.

"Record labels have managed to strike deals with streaming services that enable them to take a slice of the profit anytime an artist's song is played. But songwriters and music publishers — owners of the rights to the song's music and lyrics — are not part of those deals".

Paulski

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2016, 05:11:46 PM »
To me this is like stealing someone's invention and making a fortune off of it.
And it's legal!

Skub

• Stadium Tour
    • Soundcloud
« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2016, 05:17:40 PM »
To me this is like stealing someone's invention and making a fortune off of it.
And it's legal!

Funny innit. In years past we are well aware of the stories where the record company stiffs the artist,but the more things change,the more they stay the same,because here we are with new ways of getting music out there and the end result is still the same.

Paulski

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2016, 05:52:55 PM »
I get what you're saying about playing live - yes it can be a good income for the performing artist, but who's going to pay to see the person who wrote his/her songs? The label has promoted the artist, not the songwriter.  ???