Somewhere In The City

• 21 Replies

adamfarr

• Stadium Tour
    • SongEspresso
« Reply #15 on: May 05, 2016, 07:13:29 AM »
First off, very interesting lyrics indeed - the Jekyll & Hyde theme is clever and sets up the changes in perspective - you, she, I, your very own - and of course the mirror - so quite enigmatic as to who is who (and who is you and I am he and we are altogether... ;)).

I think the instrumentation is well chosen and supports the off-balance feeling. The little details like the Spanishy guitars and the backwards stuff (how does one do that?) were good. From about 2'20 to the end I think you could go super-heavy in the chorus with more guitars and more distortion to contrast with the more narrative verses. Could be interesting to try?

I'd say the vocal in the chorus slightly "thin" - I see what you tried to do with the octave. I wonder if possibly just a straight double track might workto make it rounder? Or an octave below to give a bit of grit?

Anyhow, a really creative and moody piece and this is just fine tuning really.

MartynRich

• Stadium Tour
    • Personal website
« Reply #16 on: May 10, 2016, 11:06:41 AM »
Ok peeps, firstly thank you for the feedback and sorry for the bump...

Lots to think about here and really, where do you stop with adding stuff when you are trying to be inventive? I think for me it was when I was hitting the money-box for percussion.

So...I have redone the chorus slightly as isolating it did really show up that it was out of tune in places. So Tina and Skub especially, let me know if you think its there...

https://soundcloud.com/martynstanding/somewhere-in-the-city

montydog

• Stadium Tour
  • http://i60.photobucket.com/albums/h40/montydog1/Me
    • Reverbnation
« Reply #17 on: May 12, 2016, 10:22:33 PM »
Hi,

I'm with Cramer on this. I like the chorus - it works to my ears. I think originality and invention are underrated as desirable assets for a songwriter - you have both here. I like the atmosphere, the oblique, mysterious lyrics and the interesting soundscape. You're not going to hum it in the bath but it's great anyway.

M

MartynRich

• Stadium Tour
    • Personal website
« Reply #18 on: May 13, 2016, 11:11:30 PM »
Thank you Monty but I do think you heard the ´fixed´version. Thank you for the comments though, they are very much appreciated.

Skub

• Stadium Tour
    • Soundcloud
« Reply #19 on: May 13, 2016, 11:24:27 PM »
Yeah,works for me Martyn. It's quite the item now,imo.  8)

Jamie

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #20 on: May 14, 2016, 09:53:05 AM »
Hi Marytn, very inventive,loved the instrumentation and the different sections. I also have a bit of an issue with the chorus I'm not sure whether it's pitch or just wrong choice of note especially the bit 'with your name on'where it rises at the end,but anyway it's an excellent piece of work.
Good stuff.
Cheers
Jamie

Neil C

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #21 on: May 14, 2016, 01:53:42 PM »
I like the atmospheric lofi backing with the track building. Love the acoustic coming on top and backwards guitars.

Agree with Jamie re the chorus it works well the, issue to me is the ending 'on' when you go up. It sounds odd because you're also got the the keyboard playing the actual note, so you sound flat against that.

Interesting and accesable, no need to rerecord. Going to play again.
 :)
Neil
songwriter of no repute..