Aim to please

• 16 Replies

LostBoy

• Platinum Album
« on: May 02, 2016, 06:09:31 PM »
Hi guys and gals,

Now this is no "petrol soaked knickers"!! But it is a fun little pop song I wrote about 5 months ago.Its about a mate of mine who I worked with for years who was gods gift to women "looks" wise,but for some unknown reason (to him) he couldn't figure out why certain things he did would cause problems in his relationships. ;D

This is the first and only song I've done where I play a real life instrument!! This was a fun challenge for me.I recorded the uke straight into the internal iPad mic which isn't ideal I know.Other apps used were propellerheads "figure",sessionband acoustic,korg IM1,Auria and drumjam.

Please forgive the sibilance,I've been working hard on songs since this one to improve in this area.
It's a lighthearted song but there is some swearing in it.

All thoughts are welcome as always and thanks for listening.  ;D

https://soundcloud.com/leo-b-5/auriale-latest-atp-finale

Aim to please.

In the air I feel the rain
Seems I lost my way to her and back again
I left on cloud number nine
But that broke down
I'm free falling through the sky

I may have made a few mistakes
Forgot your birthday,called you her name
But that don't mean,that we couldn't be something

Chorus.
She says I'm a star
I'm bright but I'm going nowhere
She says I'm too far
Too far away to reach
I tried and failed and tried again
But I can't win
I aim to please,but I can't shoot for sh@t
I aim to please,but I can't shoot for...

Yeah the distance thing is hard
But with the Internet
We're virtually inside each other's arms
All I needed was more time
I'd take that job,I'd always be by your side

Look,I know it got a little strange
Your mums a cougar,I was her prey
A one night fling
I swear it didn't mean a thing (yeah right!)

Chorus
Bridge
Call me crazy but I just can't give you up
Cos something that you said to me it stuck

You said I'm a star...you said I'm a star...
She said I'm a star...she said I'm a staaaaaaar (dude,I really think you're missing her point)
F@ck yeah I'm a star...

Chorus.

Oldbutyet

« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2016, 08:55:23 PM »
Really good song this i like it, if im reading your verse right a one night fling with her mum is certainly going to cause problems in a relationship like the end of one   ;D  great lyrics and really enjoy listening.

Skub

• Stadium Tour
    • Soundcloud
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2016, 10:26:06 PM »
LostBoy,this was a very enjoyable listen. I loved the whole thing,the melody was bright and refreshing,the lyrics entertaining and the overall execution worked well.

If this is a finished song and as it's posted in this forum I assume it must be,there is so much could be done in the mix to bring out the song and allow it to truly shine. On Headphones everything is crowded in the centre,so even judicious use of panning would give a spread and make it all feel less claustrophobic.

Song-wise and performance,man I love it.  8)

*checks to see if tinam has been here yet....

nope..

Fabulous effort,Lostboy.  :D

MartynRich

• Stadium Tour
    • Personal website
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2016, 10:50:58 PM »
Ok, there is a little gripe coming but I´ll say all the good stuff first. I really love the fun vibe of this song, the lyrics are cool in a matey kind of way and the performance is fantastic. You´ve nailed something fun and mates are always the best targets so you must have been really inspired.

I can´t comment too much on the production as I had to listen on crappy headphones but it sounded more than ok to me. So there´s a lot to like...but the one thing I was wishing for was a slightly cleaner segue between the verse and chorus. I don´t know if it´s because they´re in the same key or because of the tempo change but I thought the movement from one to the other could be clearer/more distinct...(maybe even try a pause?). That´s my only suggestion and others will probably disagree. I went back for seconds though, because I really like it. Your voice is great as well.

tina m

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2016, 01:11:36 PM »
it starts off like like prefab sprout & then goes fabulously poppy & tuneful!
its not dancey & modern sounding like your last 2 but the lyrics are sharp & funny with some clever lines
these sort of lyrics are my fave kind....not comedy but cleverly droll ... like squeeze or supergrass used to write
you have got a smashing voice (I mustnt keep saying that it will give you a complex) ..you do actually sound like paddy mcaloon  here ... I used to think  he was  the bees knees....
a good bridge  near the end I like songs to have a bridge its a sign of class in a song I think
musically it didnt sound as beautifully produced as your last ones ..& that drum beat got a little bit samey after a while & I wanted you to change it up in the choruses

was that a dodgy note near the end?

skub you are very funny! ;D
 stealing my best words to make you sound stylish & arty  :P
Tell me Im wonderful & I ll be nice to you :)

PTCruiser1801

• Open Mic
« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2016, 03:49:56 PM »
Lostboy- I am writing this as I listen...hope you don't mind!

Loved the beat of this song...and the oh oh oh oh parts in the backing vocal!

Very catchy song and delivers the message you set out to achieve!

Love the ukulele throughout...I play too but have yet to write a song I am happy with it in...someday I'm sure!

I loved the subtle humour in this one too!

:)

pompeyjazz

• Stadium Tour
  • pompeyjazz
« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2016, 07:10:11 PM »
Hi lostboy. I really liked this. It was refreshingly different. There are some interesting rhythms going on there especially as you drop into the chorus. There is a lot going on and needs a couple of listens to appreciate it all. Think your vocals are excellent. Interesting lyrically as well. Good stuff 😊

John

LostBoy

• Platinum Album
« Reply #7 on: May 03, 2016, 10:17:33 PM »
@oldbutyet thank you sir,I'm glad you liked it.

@Skub Hey man,thanks a lot! I appreciate good honest feedback.This songs 5 months old and listening now I can def hear that the mix is not my best.Lots of high end stuff going on,the panning could be better you are right mate.I think I got all the ingredients right & baked an ok cake...I just forgot to ice it!! :D

@MartynRich Hey dude,never worry about sharing gripes mate.Thats what this place is for right? Can't get better if everything we do is always great.Your feedback was interesting cos I'd not heard that before about the transition into the chorus.Its all good and it might just be a taste thing cos I quite like that the chorus kinda comes out of nowhere  ;D Thanks for the feedback though man it gave me something to think about moving forward.

@tinam Hey you,thanks for always complimenting me on my vocals! :D You are right about the production on this one,although I did have fun trying to play a real instrument for a change.As for the dodgy note..I'm not sure exactly which one your talking about but when I listen now I actually hear a few places where I'm off vocally! :) This song surprised me cos the chorus was low for me but a bloody struggle to sing those long notes on pitch!! & im still not 100% sold that I did!  ;D

@Paul Hey man,thanks a lot.You don't need the uke...you're a BAD ASS,Six string,fingerpicking Jedi!!  ;D

@Pompeyjazz Thanks mate,I was def trying to do something a little different with this one so I'm glad you enjoyed it. :)

adamfarr

• Stadium Tour
    • SongEspresso
« Reply #8 on: May 04, 2016, 09:55:24 AM »
Hi Lostboy
great lyrics and interesting unique song concept! ("It got a little strange" - no kidding!) Recording sounding fine, though I guess some re-mixing could add a lot.

I did get a bit of an unbalanced feeling during the choruses - I couldn't really work it out, but I think it's the drums that go into a kind of shuffle feel rather than on the beat... In an ideal world I'd have another look at that I think...

PaulAds

• Stadium Tour
  • Haemorrhaging Enthusiasm
« Reply #9 on: May 04, 2016, 12:56:49 PM »
Hi lostboy

I Like this one too...bright and breezy and cute with it.

Production sounds fine to me...listening through the stereo of a ford transit :)

Nice and fresh!
heart of stone, feet of clay, knob of butter

tboswell

• Platinum Album
« Reply #10 on: May 04, 2016, 01:29:11 PM »
What a charming little number  :)

Lovely gentle rolling feel to it I really enjoys, melodies are lovely and the backing vocals are superb, great work there!

Production is really nice, very dry but I think that works very well on the track.

Nothing to suggest other then spread it around so more people can enjoy it  :)

Tom.

PopTodd

• Platinum Album
    • Hop On Pop on Facebook
« Reply #11 on: May 04, 2016, 06:14:52 PM »
You see, this is a perfect example of what English pop has that US pop does not. It's that sense of playfulness that is lacking from a lot of stuff that originates over here.
There are parts of the verse melody that I can hear your Damon Albarn influence, but that goes away pretty quickly when the chorus comes around.
I like the spare arrangement on this one, too. I think that, with a melody this strong, that's all you really need.
Nice one!

IronKnee

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #12 on: May 05, 2016, 06:07:42 AM »
Well that was interesting. Very original!! Kudos! I really like this. What a fun concept, and you developed this with some originality and flare.
Good stuff, man!!
                                                  8)-Tom
"I know the truth, by my struggle against it"
                                                          -IronKnee

Movin Flavour

• Platinum Album
« Reply #13 on: May 05, 2016, 04:48:55 PM »
Tinam is right you do have a great voice.

This is an excellent song, I love the way that you merge the different segments and ukulele completes the song.

Can see the Squeeze comparison, but also Beautiful South springs to mind.

Sandeep

delb0y

• Platinum Album
« Reply #14 on: May 05, 2016, 09:43:21 PM »
Great work. Lovely song, lovely singing, and a fun set of lyrics. Great poppy feel. Nothing to add to what the others have said. Great work - keep them coming.
West Country Country Boy