konalavadome

The Night Belongs To Me

• 19 Replies

Cove

• Busker
« Reply #15 on: May 04, 2016, 02:00:08 AM »
Love the vibe and the laid back mood of this! A smoky piano bar comes to mind...Great stuff!
BTW I like your vocals.

adamfarr

• Stadium Tour
    • SongEspresso
« Reply #16 on: May 04, 2016, 06:53:47 AM »
Really really liked it. I am one for songs that build so I was apprehensive that it wouldn't go anywhere. But it did, with the melodic variations and with the expressiveness in the chorus and the layers of instruments which fillled it out. Certainly no lack of interest anywhere.

The lyrics are right there on the [correct side of] the border between slightly enigmatic and everyone can get what you're saying. The chorus is well honed in my opinion (rooster worked for me - it's more of a US word and maybe even more of a working classes thing where the character has to get up with the rooster in the suburbs rather than the noise of the city centre?).

It seems to have quite a wide melodic range which is part of what I was saying above about interest and lift - but parts of this seem way low for you to sing. Were you thinking ahead to a prospective female voice that would sing an octave up? For this version that seems an unfortunate compromise and possibly maybe perhaps you should take the bull by the horns and plump for either male or female and go with it (and in line with the current trend buy in a female voice if need be...?).

Only digging in because I liked it so much!

PaulAds

• Stadium Tour
  • Haemorrhaging Enthusiasm
« Reply #17 on: May 04, 2016, 11:23:41 PM »
Yeah...love this!

I like the vocal very much...there's a great, almost creepy quality to it...reminds me of Ann Widdicombe's comment that Michael Howard has "something of the night about him" it's a unique slant on the delivery of the lyric which I'm not sure a more "professional" singer would/could necessarily match.

Does this mean the permanent return of the Viscount? I hope so...such a great name and alter ego...it has such an air of decadence about it.

Nice work, VC!
heart of stone, feet of clay, knob of butter

montydog

• Stadium Tour
  • http://i60.photobucket.com/albums/h40/montydog1/Me
    • Reverbnation
« Reply #18 on: May 05, 2016, 05:02:34 PM »
Hi Cramer,

You are the master of this genre on the forum. Fabulous arrangement of a classic sounding jazz/blues song from the 40's. I think you're right about it ideally needing a female singer but you do a fine job of the vocal. Great lyrics with a strong theme - it's a much better song than many that have become standards.

Another wonderful track from you.

M

Jamie

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #19 on: May 08, 2016, 02:43:06 PM »
Hi Ian, a very nice song, with a really authentic arrangement and instrumentation. Love the bass.
Nice one!
Cheers
Jamie