konalavadome

The Night Belongs To Me

• 19 Replies

Viscount Cramer & His Orchestra

• Stadium Tour
« on: April 30, 2016, 11:05:51 PM »
I've said before that is an ambition to write an old style Jazz standard.....here's another attempt.

It wants a female vocal but I haven't been able to interest anybody yet. Maybe it's not very appealing to a singer....how the hell do I know!

Any feedback is welcome though the song is most important. I may have mixed it too trebly....I don't know.

Me singing I'm afraid. And it's sl-o-w

https://soundcloud.com/cramer1930/the-night-belongs-to-me

The Night Belongs To Me

It's five o'clock
And you're not there
To greet the sunrise with me

You want your time
And I'm prepared
To give a little
We can compromise

You'll have your day
But you'll have to pay
I'll take the night

CHORUS
You can have the morning, the rooster's crow
You can have the afternoon, nice and slow
You can have the evening's rosy glow
But the night belongs to me

It's up to you
If you won't share
Your secrets with me

I won't complain
That it's unfair
To keep a little
something to yourself

You'll have your day etc

CHORUS

When the day is over
And love is in the air
The cats come out to play
That's the time I'll show you
Why you'll always be there
Why you can't stay away

Chorus
« Last Edit: April 30, 2016, 11:10:01 PM by Viscount Cramer & His Orchestra »
Take it easy.

You can check my stuff out here. Mini-album getting bigger slowly. Free download if you're poorer than me.

Easy Life - Viscount Cramer

pompeyjazz

• Stadium Tour
  • pompeyjazz
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2016, 12:02:47 AM »
Welcome back VISCOUNT. Chuck those chicken feet in the bin. I can just picture this in a burlesque club in Berlin just post war maybe 49 or 50. Not the sort of jazz clubs that Skub or I frequent. Far too cool. You say you might need a female vocal ? I would say.... 1 Yes that would bring a new feel. 2. Stick to your own vocals. They sound great man. Don't put yourself down as your stuff is deliciously unique  :)

Cheers John

hardtwistmusic

• Stadium Tour
  • Central Oregon Sunset
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2016, 03:00:53 AM »
A very nice torch song.   I understand why you want a female voice. 

As I listened, I was struck by how MANY different songs this could become vocally just with changes in tempo. 

An intriguing piece of music. 
www.reverbnation.com/hardtwistmusicsongwriter

Verlon Gates  -  60 plus years old.

IronKnee

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2016, 09:08:59 AM »
Hey there Viscount.....I really dig this. Very cool piece of writing. Very soulful.....very sultry.
And, by the way, you sound pretty good. I can see why you'd like a Fem.......but, you certainly put across a good representation of the song.
Good stuff!!
                                     8)-Tom
"I know the truth, by my struggle against it"
                                                          -IronKnee

delb0y

• Platinum Album
« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2016, 09:14:03 AM »
Oh yeah... very laid back and cool. I love this style. Have you now achieved your ambition? Does this meet the Viscount's conditions for an old style jazz standard? It certainly ticks the boxes for me. Although I do wonder if anyone actually wrote jazz standards intentionally (back in the day) - didn't they get stolen from shows and films and given a cool (or hot treatment) from many artists and over many years and many versions eventually become accepted as jazz standards?

I understand why you'd like to try this with a female lead. I think jazz is one area where female singers often sit better. Don't know why that is - and it's probably just a personal thing because I love Billie Holiday and Claire Martin and Julie London and Ella Fitzgerald and Helen Merrill and Madeleine Peyroux many more so much, and on the male front, there's Frank Sinatra (At The Sands is just great!) and more recently Steve Tyrell... Once you slip over the line into blues (and for me, most other genres) the situation reverses, but for songs like this, yes give me a girl!

That said, you do a fine job and I'm impressed and jealous of the vocal here.

The other thing about this type of song and arrangement is the expectations are really high. Even the most laid back of professional jazz songs are wonderfully arranged and the playing is always out of this world. I love the opening chords and the way this starts, but later when the horn section comes in it felt a little too simple and non-jazzy. I was also longing for a top class piano or muted trumpet solo. Now, none of this detracts from a fine song - I just think with a full on jazz arrangement and some slow burning solos (or fills), and with a girl singing you might find that, yes, you have achieved that ambition, because the song is there - the melody, and the words, and the subject matter, and the feel, and the changes. Yep, all there and very enjoyable.

My only other thoughts, and they're terribly minor, is firstly the use of the word rooster. That conjures up to me  a rural blues scene, some old share-croppers on the porch and a rooster crowing. This (to me) is a big city, smooth, and sophisticated song. Folks deep within the city are more likely to be woken by... I don't know. But probably not a rooster. Secondly, the opening line suggests that the narrator is there at 5:00 but the girl he's singing to isn't - so she must still be in bed and has no interest in being up at that ungodly hour (I don't blame her), but the chorus is suggesting he's given her that option (you take the morning and the rooster) but the fact that she's not there at 5:00 suggest she has no interest in this. I'm not sure I'm making much sense - I just feel that there's something amiss with the logic somewhere.

But overall great. I love this style and would love to hear it with a female singer and some Miles Davis style muted trumpet!
West Country Country Boy

GuyBarry

• Solo Gig
« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2016, 10:21:36 AM »
Oh yeah... very laid back and cool. I love this style. Have you now achieved your ambition? Does this meet the Viscount's conditions for an old style jazz standard? It certainly ticks the boxes for me.

And for me!  Glad to see the Viscount back.

Although I do wonder if anyone actually wrote jazz standards intentionally (back in the day) - didn't they get stolen from shows and films and given a cool (or hot treatment) from many artists and over many years and many versions eventually become accepted as jazz standards?

I think back in the 1920s most jazz tunes were specifically written for jazz musicians, then in the 30s and 40s Broadway tunes started to take over.  But I'm no expert.

I understand why you'd like to try this with a female lead. I think jazz is one area where female singers often sit better. Don't know why that is

Nor do I really - I think it may be largely because jazz bands traditionally used female singers, and that's what people are used to hearing.  As I listened to Ian's piece I tried to think of a jazz standard in a similar style - "But Not For Me" by the Gershwins came to mind.  One of the best recordings of that in my view is actually by the trumpeter Chet Baker, who had a fine singing voice.

But I'm getting away from the Viscount!  Great orchestral texture, strong melody, harmonically interesting and well sung.  Lyrically it's pretty strong as well although I do agree with Derek's comments about the "rooster's crow".  Certainly the sort of stuff I'd like to hear in a jazz club, if there were any traditional jazz clubs left round here  :(   Well done all round.

Viscount Cramer & His Orchestra

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2016, 10:38:32 AM »
John - Thanks for the nice remark re vox. For me this has got to be a woman singer with this lyric which conjures up for me what might be an old-fashioned image of the girl lazing around all day, late breakfast (coffee), painting her nails, ladies lunch, afternoon siesta, cocktails at dusk sort of thing while the bloke goes out and robs banks and shoots pool or something before coming round half-pissed.

Verlon - could maybe be a bit faster. Glad you said torch song because that's what it is for me....Billie Holiday maybe.

Tom - Pleased you think I've put across a fair representation. That's what it's all about really. A demonstration of the song to try and get a female voice to sing it (and get her band to record it and make me famous)

Derek - Thanks for the huge input. To answer your first question, yes, of the songs I've come up with so far this is the one which I think is closest to what I'm after, lyrically and with that classic bridge where it descends from the tonic a semitone to modulate into a new key.

I never start a song with any firm idea of what it's going to become. Piano stuff tends to go jazzy so could end up like this. Guitar stuff tends to go blues.

I would have liked more instrumentation but not easy to find appropriate stuff and for me fake instruments work much less well for solo passages....and I don't know any players.

Let's just say the rooster crowing is a metaphoric - if that's the right word - image for daybreak. And it rhymed! I also think that in the era where this possibly could have been written if you like, a lot of those musicians and singers could have come up to the city from a rural background so the image wouldn't seem so nutty to them. There, attempt at justification over!

My take on the lyric is that they spend the night together but he (if it's a female singer) buggers off before daybreak.....so he has the rooster's crow to himself while he's walking off to find an early morning bar for coffee and a newspaper, he has the afternoon lazing around, and the evening drinking beer with his mates, all this in exchange for the promise that he comes round at night. So she gets the night. Not a bad deal for him either!

Guy - you've just posted! glad the melody and lyric work for you. I prefer female singers for jazz too. Hope my effort to justify my rooster is OK....it was the rhyme you see, and I also have a desire to use words that sound good to me sung which I think that line does. I won't say this is as important as the meaning but it is certainly high on the list of my priorities.

I had a song where i was looking for a word something like model or metal....can't quite explain why...just the way they sound. In the end I had to settle for merry which wasn't what I wanted but actually now I think it does the job.

Thanks for listening and commenting folks.

Take it easy.

You can check my stuff out here. Mini-album getting bigger slowly. Free download if you're poorer than me.

Easy Life - Viscount Cramer

digger72

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #7 on: May 01, 2016, 10:41:45 AM »
Hi Viscount,

I often say I don't like jazz (I don't like all that apparently random playing with no melody), then you do stuff like this and I realise I must like some forms.
I love this moody, slow dance type stuff with that wandering bass line, chilled out vocal, etc.
I can hear a female vocal like Patsy Cline doing Crazy.

I bow to other's knowledge of what constitutes jazz, etc - it is nothing I know anything about. I just think you've written a very good song.

Digger

GuyBarry

• Solo Gig
« Reply #8 on: May 01, 2016, 11:21:26 AM »

Guy - you've just posted! glad the melody and lyric work for you. I prefer female singers for jazz too.

Actually I was making the opposite point - that although many of the best-known jazz singers are female, male singers can be surprisingly effective.  I've never sung jazz but it's always been one of my secret ambitions.

Hope my effort to justify my rooster is OK....it was the rhyme you see, and I also have a desire to use words that sound good to me sung which I think that line does. I won't say this is as important as the meaning but it is certainly high on the list of my priorities.

Yes, as Derek says it was a minor point, and I certainly can't think of a better rhyme!

MartynRich

• Stadium Tour
    • Personal website
« Reply #9 on: May 01, 2016, 01:04:49 PM »
I think this is a great song. I love the lyrics as well...for me they work well. The horns don't sound fully convincing production wise at the start, and maybe I would up the tempo slightly but this could be nit-picking. As the song progresses I get more into both the tempo and the horns.

But apart from that I think it works really nicely. It has a cool, chilled out feel. It makes me want to start smoking again. Nice work.

Movin Flavour

• Platinum Album
« Reply #10 on: May 01, 2016, 02:16:50 PM »
This is a great song, it has that cafe Jazz Club vibe.

I see what you mean about wanting a female vocalist, but you still give a great ambience.

I like this, especially the double bass playing.

Well done

Sandeep
« Last Edit: May 01, 2016, 02:27:34 PM by Movin Flavour »

mickeytwonames

• Solo Gig
  • me, my mistress and my dog
« Reply #11 on: May 01, 2016, 07:03:58 PM »
I love the chorus

Mickeytwonames
Practice like you live forever.
Play like you die tonight,

tina m

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #12 on: May 01, 2016, 09:08:52 PM »
so what happened to Kentucky Fried Cramer? I thought he was finger lickin wicked on that blues song we got a taste of...ok i suppose you are having a double musical identity...i like that idea! ...i might try it.!
Anyway this is delicious...its very smoochy & sophisticated & quite fabulously fine!
I dont know how people can say leave it as it is...your vocal is a good shot & yes you do well & get the song across but anyone can hear the song is miles better than the way its sung at the mo
I prefer male jazz/ballad singers.... the girls may be more nimble with there voices but I just swoon at those deep rich male voices
the lyrics are pure class aswell... yes its true you do want something a bit more big cityish than the rooster crow.. ..what about the milkmans crow? :)
I wondered if it was a teeny bit slow  but it might be the way your singing it concentrating on getting the notes making it sound a bit laboured
I couldnt sing this style well it must be very difficult to do & I certainly couldnt write it ...so it is very very impressive cramer
so will we be getting a jazz & blues fusion from you next as VisCount Your Chickens?  ;D
Tell me Im wonderful & I ll be nice to you :)

LostBoy

• Platinum Album
« Reply #13 on: May 01, 2016, 10:51:51 PM »
Hello mate,Well I hope some lovely female vocalist gets in touch with you cos I think you've written a very nice song here.Actually I thought you sung very well  ;D The lyrics fit the style very well.Really good job man.

Skub

• Stadium Tour
    • Soundcloud
« Reply #14 on: May 03, 2016, 07:47:45 PM »
It's late o'clock in the club and not many punters are left,just the music lovers and well..the other lovers. Smoke from long spent cigarettes still hangs in the air and makes the band seem more like gods than the mere mortals dotted around the bar and at a few secluded tables.
Folk fill their glasses one last time before going home and descending into the restless sleep blessed by too much alcohol. Full,yet empty.
 The more fortunate may share a fumbling,brief and incoherent swap of bodily fluids which is mandatory,even though all they ever want is company and just to be held for a while as if someone really cared. The band plays on,watching the familiar pantomime. Hazy,lazy and jazzy.

Now,where was I...oh yeah,lost in the song again. Ta very much for the mind movie Viscount.  8)