Criticism of song lyrics

• 37 Replies

Boydie

• Administrator
  • Stadium Tour
« Reply #30 on: May 06, 2016, 07:33:22 AM »
Great post Verlon and well put

As far as the "Works in progress" section being "where the action is" I disagree.  My experience as both a poster, and a reader of other people's posts is that no one bothers to invest much into the "Works in Progress" section. 

I think some (me included) were implying that the WIP is where the action SHOULD be if members really want to improve their songwriting - as this where the discussions SHOULD be taking place - before members get too personally attached to their songs

You have already nailed it in your post when you say that it is often the case people just want to be validated with praise

I think the WIP section may need a "rebranding" - eg make this section of the forum something like the "Songwriting School" - and make it clear that this is the place to go if you have a specific issue to discuss in a song or the dreaded "writers block" - eg "I just can't get these lines to work - any ideas?" or "I have just added this bridge - does it work?" Etc.

This will focus reviews and discussions on specific issues as I know some people,e get grumpy when they get "production feedback" when they are just concerned about "the song" (although they rarely state this in their original post!!)

This would also be the place for beginner songwriters to take their first steps at getting feedback or specific advice on songwriting - almost like a "nursery slope" for skiers - especially as it can be a bit intimidating for new songwriters to post their first "finished" iPhone recording of a guitar and vocal alongside very pro sounding "radio ready" demos that constantly appear in the finished song forum (which is a great thing - especially as most of those members started off with basic recordings and have developed their skills or invested in studio recordings)
To check out my music please visit:

http://soundcloud.com/boydiemusic

Twitter: https://twitter.com/BoydieMusic

CaliaMoko

• Stadium Tour
  • Strumming on the couch in pigtails
    • Late Bloomers Rock
« Reply #31 on: May 06, 2016, 01:52:58 PM »
I would love to see the WIP forum (or one of the forums, anyway) be a place to take bits of songs I"m working on to get ideas for moving forward. I've just been working on a couple new songs and musing about whether it would be appropriate, for instance, to post somewhere (I had thought of the Bar) saying, "This is the story I want to tell. Here are my notes and some of the possible words and lines I've been considering. What do you think?" A songwriting "workshop" would be perfect for that. :)

Vicki

PaulAds

• Stadium Tour
  • Haemorrhaging Enthusiasm
« Reply #32 on: May 06, 2016, 04:59:56 PM »
Great idea, Vicki :)

I really love the idea of a workshop...a kind of mad professors laboratory where we can chip in ideas and perhaps contribute instrument/drum/vocal tracks - if necessary - and turn them into fully-realised songs...like Frankensteins Cooperative...I think a lot of the best things on here come from off-the-wall ideas and would really love to see more cooperation and collaboration which might also contribute greatly to the community spirit...
heart of stone, feet of clay, knob of butter

Boydie

• Administrator
  • Stadium Tour
« Reply #33 on: May 06, 2016, 05:51:13 PM »
That is exactly what I think the WIP board should be for VICKI so post away to get the ball rolling...

adamfarr

• Stadium Tour
    • SongEspresso
« Reply #34 on: May 07, 2016, 07:15:30 AM »
"The Workshop" I like that. Covers everything from construction, repairs, rebalancing, finishing (or even saving from the scrap heap). Titles, as they say, are important.

Doodles

• Solo Gig
    • Soundcloud Page
« Reply #35 on: May 07, 2016, 10:35:07 AM »
I like the workshop idea too - be great for when you hit on an interesting start, but don't really know how to take it forward. Could lead to some collaborations too, if someone wants to chip in with another instrument, offer a chorus idea, bridge, solo or something. 

Boydie

• Administrator
  • Stadium Tour
« Reply #36 on: May 07, 2016, 10:58:58 AM »
I like the workshop idea too - be great for when you hit on an interesting start, but don't really know how to take it forward. Could lead to some collaborations too, if someone wants to chip in with another instrument, offer a chorus idea, bridge, solo or something.

Exactly!

I will add this to the "forum overhaul" plans  ;D

hardtwistmusic

• Stadium Tour
  • Central Oregon Sunset
« Reply #37 on: May 10, 2016, 09:25:25 PM »
Late to this but I think it's important to put yourself in the shoes of the person receiving the comment and think what were they trying to do and how would I feel if I got that comment. And secondly to always frame things as suggestions not as something the other person has necessarily missed or got wrong. But with those provisos,  if we are posting songs here then normally we are expecting and wanting constructive input (or should be) so nothing is off limits.

I understand Adam's point.  BUT.... speaking simply for myself. 

PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE PLEASE DO NOT "SPARE MY FEELINGS." 

That does not help me. 

There are feelings here that demand to be "spared."  But many of us prefer to hear what we NEED to hear as opposed to what we WANT to hear.  Sparing our feelings deprives us of what we NEED to hear.
www.reverbnation.com/hardtwistmusicsongwriter

Verlon Gates  -  60 plus years old.