Just Got Lucky

• 26 Replies

IronKnee

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #15 on: May 01, 2016, 09:18:12 AM »
Love the songwriting!!
The hook (Lyrical and melodic) is brought in very skillfully......very nice. Love the melodic changes, throughout.....keeps it always fresh and alive.  ;)
Good production, and performances.............Good stuff!
                                                                                                    8)-Tom
"I know the truth, by my struggle against it"
                                                          -IronKnee

MartynRich

• Stadium Tour
    • Personal website
« Reply #16 on: May 01, 2016, 12:48:10 PM »
Great song - real feel-good vibe about it. Cant really add anything to whats gone before except if reminds me a bit of happy Brit-pop. Perfect singalong stuff, great production and great performance.

LostBoy

• Platinum Album
« Reply #17 on: May 01, 2016, 10:42:47 PM »
Hey man,well done! That's a really good little pop song.Sang and played/arranged very well.Id love to be able to write a 2.30 song! I'm always happy if I can keep em around 4! :) The only thing that I would do differently if it was my song would be to lose the claps on the little break.Im sure it works for lots of people & it's no big deal of course.Just for me,I didn't think it needed them.Of course I expect and fully support you ignoring me on this!:) it was just an observation is all.

I look forward to hearing more of your stuff mate!
Leo  ;D

adamfarr

• Stadium Tour
    • SongEspresso
« Reply #18 on: May 04, 2016, 07:29:35 AM »
Hi Tom - in this one I can really hear changes and harmonies a la Crowded House.

Pulling off the variations to each similar element going through really shows off your writing skills - something I think you really like, and well done here.

I found myself slightly missing a fully formed repeated chorus - the "Maybe I just got lucky" flows well but isn't the most hooky, and the "I've done asking why" has more of a bridge/prechorus feel, so I wondered if having another repeating element could support it better?

But the entire production is really professional sounding ... and that 12 string...!

montydog

• Stadium Tour
  • http://i60.photobucket.com/albums/h40/montydog1/Me
    • Reverbnation
« Reply #19 on: May 05, 2016, 04:57:06 PM »
Hi,

There is so much to like here: That superb jangly 12 string riff, strong vocal with lovely rock tone, driving bass and drums and some lovely percussion. The song is strong and you've brought the best out of it with this arrangement. The standard on this forum has got crazy good.

Nothing to say to improve it - it's a cracker as it is. Well done indeed.

M

Paulski

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #20 on: May 08, 2016, 04:00:14 PM »
Hi Tom

I love a short song that says what it needs to say and gets off the stage.
This one is great - loved the guitars, vox, unpredictable chord progs, well, just about everything :)

Nice work!
Paul

Oldbutyet

« Reply #21 on: May 08, 2016, 10:21:31 PM »
This give out so many memories both in your lyrics and your music, absolutely wonderful.

hardtwistmusic

• Stadium Tour
  • Central Oregon Sunset
« Reply #22 on: May 09, 2016, 05:08:56 AM »
If a woman said to me "I'm willing to be someone who might be willing to be yours tonight", I think I'd probably take it as a no!   ;)

I was fascinated by your comment.  I've observed something that is relevant to your comment. 

Men who constantly get shot down hear "no" even when there is a strong possibility of "yes" in what is said. 

Men who simply can't hear "no," often get to  yes, even when the intended meaning of the woman's response is "no." 

I, myself constantly heard "no" even when there was little or no "no" in the responses when I was younger.  Now, I'm either too smart, or too old to be seeking "yes." 

Trouble with chasing women is that sometimes you CATCH them. 
www.reverbnation.com/hardtwistmusicsongwriter

Verlon Gates  -  60 plus years old.

GuyBarry

• Solo Gig
« Reply #23 on: May 09, 2016, 09:35:47 AM »
If a woman said to me "I'm willing to be someone who might be willing to be yours tonight", I think I'd probably take it as a no!   ;)

I was fascinated by your comment.

It was a tongue-in-cheek comment, of course, but I was trying to make a serious observation about the lyrics.  The first time round, the bridge goes: "I'm done asking why/You're willing to be someone who might/Who might be mine tonight", which is fine.  But the second time you get:

I'm done asking why
You're willing to be someone who might
Someone who might be willing to
Be mine tonight

which is starting to slip into absurdity in my view.  Being willing is one thing, being willing to be willing is quite another!

It's a minor criticism, but sometimes the repetition of words can have the opposite effect to what's intended.

« Last Edit: May 09, 2016, 09:39:42 AM by GuyBarry »

tboswell

• Platinum Album
« Reply #24 on: May 09, 2016, 10:26:41 PM »
I'm glad my rather simple lyrics are causing some sort of minor debate.

Certainly I'll admit on the 2nd bridge I wanted to extend it musically and I didn't want to stretch the meaning of lyrics by adding new material.
I agree it's not very conversational any more but I like the way the same words lead in a different musical direction.

Hope it doesn't ruin it for you GuyBarry.

Tom.

Neil C

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #25 on: May 10, 2016, 07:04:08 AM »
Tom,
Worth the wait.
Succinct, sweet pop. lyrics and music all working together.
The effect is uplift as the best pop should be.
Lovely guitar playing and singing as ever.
 :) :)
Neil
songwriter of no repute..

GuyBarry

• Solo Gig
« Reply #26 on: May 11, 2016, 12:29:26 PM »
I'm glad my rather simple lyrics are causing some sort of minor debate.

Certainly I'll admit on the 2nd bridge I wanted to extend it musically and I didn't want to stretch the meaning of lyrics by adding new material.
I agree it's not very conversational any more but I like the way the same words lead in a different musical direction.

Hope it doesn't ruin it for you GuyBarry.

Not at all!  Here's my humble attempt at a rewrite that still fits the music, but doesn't add any new lyrical material.  (This is just a bit of fun for me by the way - please don't take offence.)

I'm done asking why
You're willing to be someone who might
Someone who might be mine tonight,
Be mine tonight

Or

I'm done asking why
You're willing to be someone who might -
Willing to be someone who might
Be mine tonight.

Either of them any good?  

« Last Edit: May 11, 2016, 12:31:24 PM by GuyBarry »