Electric Guitar Recommendations?

• 53 Replies

Boydie

• Administrator
  • Stadium Tour
« Reply #45 on: May 28, 2016, 11:51:44 AM »
Congratz VICKI

I must echo what TINAM has said - do not try to sort out the action or "set up" the guitar yourself

Having recently done the tech course and having set up a few (really expensive!!) guitars now I would say that around 80% of the change in setup is down to adjusting the truss rod

You will read online etc. that you should do a "quarter turn" here and a "quarter turn" after checking whether the neck is straight or bowed by "eyeballing" it - IE looking down it

IMHO this is madness as without measuring accurately you may be doing more harm than good. It is unlikely that you will break a neck BUT you could break the truss rod and the repair cost would "write off" a top price guitar, let alone a cheaper one

You can measure the "action" and "neck relief" using feeler gauges by fretting the string at the first (or use a capo) and last fret and then use the feeler gauges to measure the distance between the top of the 7th fret and bottom of the string (for neck relief) and do the same at the 12th fret (for action) as you are using the fretted string as your "straight edge"

HOWEVER, this is assuming that the frets are at the right height and it is also really easy for the feeler gauge to move the string so the measurement may not be accurate enough

I use a notched straight edge and feeler gauges to measure neck relief to take the frets and string movement out of the equation

It would likely cost less than $100 for someone to do a proper setup for you that has all the right tools so they would get the truss rod adjusted, set the saddles to follow the radius of the fretboard, sort the nut out, address any fret issues and set the intonation

Even if you paid less than the setup cost for the guitar it is still well worth it - a budget guitar with a good setup will always play better than an expensive guitar with a poor setup!!!!

I don't like the Strat/bullet type trem bar though because the thread wears and then you get a 'slack' spot which affects the sound and feel. I overcome this by wrapping PTFE tape around the thread but this has to be refreshed regularly.

I have a great little tip for you...

You can get a very small spring that is short and stubby, very strong and is small enough to drop in the hole where the tremolo arm goes

As you tighten the tremolo arm it compresses the spring

The pressure of the spring against the bottom of the tremolo arm is enough to hold the tremolo in place (so it doesn't spin around whilst you play) enabling you to leave it where you want it and avoid the "flat spots"
To check out my music please visit:

http://soundcloud.com/boydiemusic

Twitter: https://twitter.com/BoydieMusic

CaliaMoko

• Stadium Tour
  • Strumming on the couch in pigtails
    • Late Bloomers Rock
« Reply #46 on: May 28, 2016, 03:42:04 PM »
Okay! Thanks to TinaM and Boydie, I've decided not to try to do the setup myself. Actually, the guitar sounds pretty good as it is at the moment. I think I must have found one someone brought for their kid who begged and begged for a guitar and then never played once s/he found out it was work. Everything looks clean and shiny and new, including the strings. I tuned it last night and it's still in tune this morning. So, I'll play with it for awhile, then check into professional setup services. I wouldn't be surprised if it's already been done once.

There's no tremolo bar, so I don't need to worry about that at all. I looked up the guitar. This model apparently comes with or without a tremolo bar and mine is without.

I haven't tried plugging it in yet. I don't have a guitar amp, but I do have small powered speakers I used to use for monitors. They have two inputs, one has a button to push if a guitar is plugged into it. They have a button for phantom power, which I assume I don't need or want for a guitar? I'll be trying it out today.

And, ShinyThang, thanks for all the info on pedals. I saw some in one of the pawn shops, but knowing nothing at all about them, I didn't check them out at all.  I'm going to mess with the guitar awhile before I do or buy anything else. There are three dials and a switch I need to experiment with for starters. :) Anyone know why there's two tone dials that don't say anything but "Tone"? Is one treble and one bass? And if yes, why don't they say which is which? I'm pretty clear on what "Volume" means.

And a tip of the hat to Neil and Skub, as well. And to everyone who provided input from the beginning. It's so great to have a resource like this. I was so overwhelmed after my first shopping trip, I don't know that I would have gone back without forum support. :D

Vicki

adamfarr

• Stadium Tour
    • SongEspresso
« Reply #47 on: May 30, 2016, 06:53:15 AM »
Great news! Without wishing to send you (and everyone else) off down another rabbit hole, I think an amp is important - not for recording because there are so many plugin sounds available but for enjoying playing and getting the potential out of your purchase. If you got even a small one with a clean and distorted channel, turn it up, enjoy making loud and different sounds, experiment, be inspired...

delb0y

• Platinum Album
« Reply #48 on: May 30, 2016, 07:43:34 AM »
Excellent news! Well done, Vicki  ;D Can't wait to hear a song featuring the Bullet. As regards set-up... what's that then?  ;D  I've been playing electric guitars in bands for 40 years and I just plug them in and play. Not that I'm advocating not doing/getting a set-up, just that the world doesn't stop spinning if you don't. I'm sure a decent set-up could make a guitar easier to play, but if it feels good to you then just dive in and start playing and having fun. Worry about the other stuff later - that's what I'm doing.
West Country Country Boy

Boydie

• Administrator
  • Stadium Tour
« Reply #49 on: May 30, 2016, 08:05:38 AM »
@delb0y - you should DEFINITELY consider getting your guitars set up, especially an acoustic if you are investing so much time improving your finger picking and solo performances

A guitar tech would be able to set the guitar up to compliment your playing by adjusting the neck, shaping the saddle to get the string height & intonation right and sort out any frets

Most guitars, even the expensive ones, come out the factory with a bad set up so that the player can have it tailored to their playing

You may have "lucked out" and got a good one but the last 3 guitars (and 1 bass) have been completely transformed into beautiful players since I have set them up properly (a Gibson 335, a Martin acoustic, a Fender US Deluxe and a Fender Standard Jazz Bass)

I just tweaked my bass and laid down the best bass line I have ever played so I would go as far as to say a good set up will improve your playing

If you ever fancy a trip to Kent I would gladly set up your guitars for you free of charge!

Failing that I would suggest finding a local luthier and get your favourite one set up so you can see if you get any difference

As for amp - if I am honest I would only get an amp if you are "playing out" - either gigging or with friends (or if you have a lot of space at home)

If you are recording / practicing I would say the "virtual" options are plenty good enough

Check out Amplitube and Guitar Rig as really good plugins and there are even iPhone / iPad options!

delb0y

• Platinum Album
« Reply #50 on: May 30, 2016, 08:34:08 AM »
I do intend to one day, Boydie. I had a refret done on a Strat by a very good luthier up in Coventry who had worked on Brian May's and Tony Iommi's guitars and it did play very nicely when it came back - I guess it had been setup as part of the refret. But several string changes later it now feels like it ever did - except with frets that aren't worn flat -)

My Martin could do with a little work - acoustically it's great and it's by far the easiest acoustic I've ever played. But plugged in there are a few buzzes that become apparent. The Furch on the other hand just sounds gorgeous, but is a little harder to play. I think the neck is a little deeper. Weirdly, I kind of like that - I have this fear that if I stick to playing an "easy" guitar then I won't be able to do half the things I can do if ever I pick up another guitar. So I like to practice on harder guitars and every now and again give myself the pleasure of playing all this finger-picking on the Martin.

I wear sack cloth and whip myself with studded belts too (*)

Derek

(*) Not really
West Country Country Boy

Boydie

• Administrator
  • Stadium Tour
« Reply #51 on: May 30, 2016, 09:17:31 AM »
I do (kinda) understand your logic for practicing but as you are moving to performing surely you want every advantage you can get to improve the performance!?!?!

If the guitar is easier to play not only will your playing improve but you will need to concentrate less on your playing so your singing / crowd interaction will also improve

A complete win/win imho - and you will still be able to play other guitars

CaliaMoko

• Stadium Tour
  • Strumming on the couch in pigtails
    • Late Bloomers Rock
« Reply #52 on: May 30, 2016, 03:58:52 PM »
...I think an amp is important...for enjoying playing and getting the potential out of your purchase. If you got even a small one with a clean and distorted channel, turn it up, enjoy making loud and different sounds, experiment, be inspired...
If I get into it as I hope to, I expect I will get an amp eventually. Since I do have something that will work, I'll play around with that for now.

Excellent news! Well done, Vicki  ;D Can't wait to hear a song featuring the Bullet....
Okay, but don't hold your breath. All I can do is strum. If I "feature" the Bullet, it'll most likely be a very short bit or something I do in very short bursts. I'm no good with a pick, never liked them, but I suspect I'll have to try to get used to one now. I actually have a few, and I was even able to find them. :)

If you ever fancy a trip to Kent I would gladly set up your guitars for you free of charge!
That would be fun....

Failing that I would suggest finding a local luthier and get your favourite one set up so you can see if you get any difference
I think there might be one within 50 miles (80 km) of me. I'm contacting them to see if they do guitar setups.

Check out Amplitube and Guitar Rig as really good plugins and there are even iPhone / iPad options!
They look expensive....  I don't have a smart phone of any kind. I use Reaper and Audacity on a laptop. I'm sure I can find something, though. I might already have something.

As always, thank you to everyone for all the feedback, advice, and recommendations. Makes the whole process a lot more fun!

Vicki

adamfarr

• Stadium Tour
    • SongEspresso
« Reply #53 on: May 30, 2016, 04:44:05 PM »
I use this with Reaper:

http://www.voxengo.com/product/boogex/

Free and good. I am sure you will get a million other suggestions!