Electric Guitar Recommendations?

• 53 Replies

CaliaMoko

• Stadium Tour
  • Strumming on the couch in pigtails
    • Late Bloomers Rock
« Reply #15 on: April 29, 2016, 04:19:18 PM »
Oh, good idea! I'll have to add that to my fat file of song ideas and melody fragments.

pompeyjazz

• Stadium Tour
  • pompeyjazz
« Reply #16 on: April 29, 2016, 05:49:20 PM »
Hi Vicki, Yes you can use the VST on an acoustic as The Count (Sorry, Chickenfeet) says, but I,m also in agreement that an electric would be better. You can also DI (Direct Input) the guitar into your computer to get a clean sound.

Neil C

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #17 on: April 30, 2016, 01:19:19 PM »
So its Skub older than Vicki thats the question?

I'd also think about weight, you can get some Squire Thinlines which are really lightweight, and therefore really comfortable.

:)
Neil

PS - Skub I've got the Customer Squier and its awesome machine, I've upgraded the Pups, the standards are ok, to some Bare Knuckles and its a mean rocking guitar. Only think is it weighs an absolute tonne. probably the heaviest one I've got. 
songwriter of no repute..

Skub

• Stadium Tour
    • Soundcloud
« Reply #18 on: April 30, 2016, 02:41:06 PM »
So its Skub older than Vicki thats the question?

I'd also think about weight, you can get some Squire Thinlines which are really lightweight, and therefore really comfortable.

Neil

PS - Skub I've got the Customer Squier and its awesome machine, I've upgraded the Pups, the standards are ok, to some Bare Knuckles and its a mean rocking guitar. Only think is it weighs an absolute tonne. probably the heaviest one I've got. 

Ha!
I've become accustomed to being older than everyone Neil. (I'm 60) I wouldn't presume to speculate on the age of a lady, nor should you if you wish to live as long as myself!

My little P90 Squier is around 7 pounds, so I got lucky.

Boydie

• Administrator
  • Stadium Tour
« Reply #19 on: April 30, 2016, 09:55:07 PM »
I will do a proper "new guitar thread" with some pictures soon but I thought I would chip in and say that I have just got my 40th Birthday Present - a gorgeous 2016 Fender Telecaster Elite in Tobacco Sunburst and a rosewood neck

My actual birthday is Monday (2nd May) but I have sneaked it early as I will use it at a gig tomorrow - and the chances are we will be playing through midnight so it will technically be my birthday during the gig (and I am not driving  ::))

https://new.andertons.co.uk/p/0114210752/solid-body-electric-guitars/fender-american-elite-telecaster-rw-in-tobacco-sunburst

I was going to go for the butterscotch blonde but this one in the flesh is stunning!!!

The Andertons guys looked after me well again  ;D

I've upgraded the Pups, the standards are ok, to some Bare Knuckles and its a mean rocking guitar.

Bare Knuckles are awesome - I put a matching set of aged, zebra, Mules in my Les Paul Standard, which was a bit beaten up so the pups matched perfectly
« Last Edit: April 30, 2016, 09:58:46 PM by Boydie »
To check out my music please visit:

http://soundcloud.com/boydiemusic

Twitter: https://twitter.com/BoydieMusic

Skub

• Stadium Tour
    • Soundcloud
« Reply #20 on: April 30, 2016, 10:38:55 PM »
Dat's a sweetie Paul.  8) Happy NGD.

I've taken a liking to big fat necks and the only way I can get that is to use an Allparts FAT and build the guitar myself!

Have a good birthday on Monday and don't be doing any mastering the next day!  :D

I've missed so many birthdays/anniversaries and the like over the years by always being out playing. This years was the first new years I spent at home with the missus in years upon years!

Boydie

• Administrator
  • Stadium Tour
« Reply #21 on: April 30, 2016, 11:38:26 PM »
That is the beauty of the neck on the elite - it is chunky at the low end and then slims out (both the profile and radius) as you move up the neck - genius idea that just fits the hand perfectly

I've missed so many birthdays/anniversaries and the like over the years by always being out playing. This years was the first new years I spent at home with the missus in years upon years!

I hear ya! We played at this pub on New Years Eve, which is when they booked this gig - I had no recollection of agreeing to it  :-[ but will be fun to celebrate the start of my 40s with a new guitar around my neck and a beer in the mic stand!!!!!
To check out my music please visit:

http://soundcloud.com/boydiemusic

Twitter: https://twitter.com/BoydieMusic

adamfarr

• Stadium Tour
    • SongEspresso
« Reply #23 on: May 01, 2016, 08:50:49 AM »
I have a Hohner pro series Strat and 335 and I think amazing value. But as others have said playability is really the most important so best to have the prospective item in your hands and not have sent from somewhere over the web...

CaliaMoko

• Stadium Tour
    • Late Bloomers Rock
« Reply #24 on: May 01, 2016, 04:53:07 PM »
1. Skub, you are older than I expected. BUT, I am still older. Aging is good and bad. Good: retirement provides time to work on music. :D Bad: I didn't realize it would hurt so much AND I've lost maybe half of my vocal range--all the lovely high notes :( :'( >:(

2. All the advice on guitars is awesome! I'm really looking forward to the next time I'm in the vicinity of a store that has some so I can try them out. I had thought one time of getting a bass guitar so I could add my own bass tracks, but my Roland keyboard actually does a pretty good job of sounding like a bass guitar. To my ears, anyway. I do have kind of loud tinnitus and my right ear is more than half deaf, so my discrimination is suspect.

Neil C

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #25 on: May 01, 2016, 05:16:01 PM »
Vicki, we look forward to hearing how you get on

Boydie,
Guitar thread? - sounds awesome but I have got quite a few, i'll have to restrain myself to avoid hogging the thread through...
Re Pup's the BKP are fab but I'm had some bespoke ones from a guy in manchester http://www.creamery-pickups.co.uk. Just had some P90 Gold foils made for my PRS SE Soapbar.https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10209660262650126&set=rpd.1436137555&type=3&theater

The 40th Tele looks fabulous, have a great gig and birthday.

Skub, you guitars look fantastic too.

Neil
songwriter of no repute..

delb0y

• Platinum Album
« Reply #26 on: May 01, 2016, 07:44:48 PM »
A fine birthday present! Enjoy the gig this evening  :)
West Country Country Boy

CaliaMoko

• Stadium Tour
    • Late Bloomers Rock
« Reply #27 on: May 07, 2016, 05:13:39 AM »
So, I finally made it to a pawn shop that has lots of electric guitars. I was totally overwhelmed. Some of them have more knobs than others. Some have levers. Some have fine-tuning knobs like violins!  :o

Some random guy came by while I was looking and started giving me advice. His advice was to get one I had already decided wasn't for me because it was bigger than all the rest. He called it a "blues guitar". It was a Blues Man Oscar Schmidt by Washburn. And he said I would have to have someone fix...um...was it the bridge? I don't remember for sure, now. Maybe it was the nut. He thought the bridge had been replaced. He messed with it enough, I could tell he definitely knew how to play it. But I digress....

The guitars ranged in price from about $70 to $500 (about £50 to £350). There were several Squiers and several Washburns, and a variety of others. My husband was encouraging me to try lots of different ones and he thought I should get one with a lever. :)

Anyway, like I said, I was overwhelmed, so I didn't get any of them. I decided I would learn to play what I have better first, so that's that for now. I chickened out. I admit it. Maybe some other day. At least now I know there is a thread with advice it it, so I know where to look when (if) the time comes.

Thanks to everyone who offered information!
Vicki

adamfarr

• Stadium Tour
    • SongEspresso
« Reply #28 on: May 07, 2016, 07:28:27 AM »
I think you probably did the right thing. Sounds like an Aladdin's cave but if things need fixing then it's so hard to judge how they feel let alone how they sound.

If you know the exact model then this place is quite helpful:

http://www.harmonycentral.com/reviews/category/guitars

But I think you'll have to play a few before deciding (if ever)... (And if I'd spent the time I spent ogling guitars on actually practicing then I'd be Paco de Lucia by now)

PaulAds

• Stadium Tour
  • Haemorrhaging Enthusiasm
« Reply #29 on: May 07, 2016, 07:42:50 AM »
Sound advice from Adam, too

Another thing you could try is to copy the acoustic guitar track, paste it into a new track and add an amp simulator effect to that and then blend the two...I've don't that before to add some "meat" and sustain to a solo acoustic guitar sound...
heart of stone, feet of clay, knob of butter