Electric Guitar Recommendations?

• 53 Replies

CaliaMoko

• Stadium Tour
  • Strumming on the couch in pigtails
    • Late Bloomers Rock
« on: April 28, 2016, 06:40:05 PM »
I thought I saw a topic on recommendations for buying an electric guitar, but I can't find it, so maybe I'm remembering one on acoustic guitars.

Anyone have recommendations for a first electric guitar for a senior citizen on a modest income? I've only ever had acoustics (some that do plug in and have knobs, though) and I'd like to try to make some of the sounds I've been hearing on these forums. I like to shop at thrift stores and pawn shops, so what details should I be seeking? And does the amp need to be specifically an electric guitar amp?

Vicki

Neil C

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2016, 07:25:51 PM »
Vicki,
Think firstly what you're trying to achieve.
What sort of sound you're looking for, but if its for cleaner fender sound I'd go with a Squier Vintage Modified either Telecaster or Stratocaster. Squier are owned by fender and made in the far East. They typical retail over here for £250 to 300 so it will be even cheaper in US.
Try them and see which feels more comfortable to wear and play. So try a few in a guitar shop first.
And remember that half of your sound is the amplifier, so half you budget should go there, if you're going to play live.
if you are going to use it just for recording then you can get away with software based stuff, some of which cane free. I know there's a thread on recording about them fairly recently.
Hope this helps and I'm sure others will chip in.
 :)
Neil 
songwriter of no repute..

Boydie

• Administrator
  • Stadium Tour
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2016, 08:15:42 PM »
I would completely endorse NEIL's comments

That particular range of Squire are often confuse with the "real deal" in blind tests
To check out my music please visit:

http://soundcloud.com/boydiemusic

Twitter: https://twitter.com/BoydieMusic

Skub

• Stadium Tour
    • Soundcloud
« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2016, 08:25:39 PM »
Good stuff from Neil.

It used to be when I was young (500 years ago) a cheap guitar was cheap for a reason..ie,because it was crap. In the brave new world of mass production and cnc machines quality control is better by a mile.

You can buy Chinese/Indonesian/Korean built guitars now which are capable of being used on a paying gig.

Ask me how I know.  ;)

You see this boyo in the pic below? You can buy him used for £100ish quid. Some folk are sniffy about the Squier logo and some don't buy for political reasons. There are plenty to choose from. If you are wondering what it sounds like,I used it on this song.

https://soundcloud.com/skub1955/rock-a-hard-placemix-2

One of the areas that makes the difference between you enjoying playing a guitar and finding it hard work is 'set up'. This includes accurate intonation,action (string height from the fretboard) a correctly cut nut (rare on almost everything regardless of cost) and for sound,pickup height.

All that stuff may seem overkill for the question you asked,but I'd always advise playing a guitar before you buy and if you are unsure,take along a friend in the know.

Amps are a whole other world,but you may get away with going direct into whatever system you use for recording,most have a range of effects,etc. If you have to have an amp,some of the Roland Cube series are good,reasonably priced and plentiful.

Sorry if I've repeated ground covered by Neil.

PaulAds

• Stadium Tour
  • Haemorrhaging Enthusiasm
« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2016, 08:33:00 PM »
Those squier teles are great guitars...I used to own one...the p90 model...same as in the photograph there.

heart of stone, feet of clay, knob of butter

tina m

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2016, 09:55:57 PM »
now i  never bought a squier bcos ive never known how to pronounce it & didnt want to look a fool in the guitar shop? is it squire or squeer? so vicki you may want to check that out first  :)
what did i buy? i played safe and bought a ibanez thinking i was ok with that & asked to try the
'eye banez' & the guy said yes 'ibb bannay' make great guitars!
total embarressment!! i can play em but i cant pronounce em! ;D
Tell me Im wonderful & I ll be nice to you :)

MartynRich

• Stadium Tour
    • Personal website
« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2016, 11:57:51 PM »
If you need a guitar AND an amp then walk into a guitar shop and try any combination you can find. If you like playing the guitar, the intonation is good and you like the sound, you´re halfway there. But yes, take someone with you to check it´s all working properly.

I have an Ibanez and budget Washburn electric. I used the Washburn on Ghost Behind Your Smile and that with my amp came in for less than €250. I think the tone is pretty good on that song.

One more thing is I find cheaper guitars tend to have a higher action...not sure why this perception is stuck in my head but it´s not something I like. Each to their own but I prefer my electrics with a low action. Good luck in your search, getting new gear is fab. Make sure you post a pic when you start shredding!

CaliaMoko

• Stadium Tour
    • Late Bloomers Rock
« Reply #7 on: April 29, 2016, 12:28:27 AM »
Neil C, Boydie, Skub, PaulAds, tinam, Martynrich!

Thanks for all the feedback. I am a very mediocre guitar player. Less than mediocre, really, and it's likely overkill even to think about getting an electric guitar. But I listen to all the sounds you people make and I want to try it. Even if I could get that "chunk chunk chunk" sound out of chords, it would be cool. When I'm in the vicinity of a store that has guitars in it, I'll try some out, keeping in mind what you've said.

Thanks!

Vicki

pompeyjazz

• Stadium Tour
  • pompeyjazz
« Reply #8 on: April 29, 2016, 06:27:50 AM »
Hi Vicki. There are some amazing free vsts that you can apply to tour guitar after recording dry. Try freeamp. There are lots of presets that will give you a wide variety of sounds and effects. My main guitar is a relatively cheap revelation jazzmaster but the vsts allow you to create something really different.

John

CaliaMoko

• Stadium Tour
    • Late Bloomers Rock
« Reply #9 on: April 29, 2016, 02:31:17 PM »
@pompeyjazz...

Can you apply them to an acoustic recording?

Viscount Cramer & His Orchestra

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #10 on: April 29, 2016, 02:39:24 PM »
Vicki

The song excerpt that i recently put in the WIP forum was played on an acoustic guitar then fed through the very vst that John mentioned. Rhythm and lead.

I'd still recommend getting an electric though. I would if I wasn't skint.
Take it easy.

You can check my stuff out here. Mini-album getting bigger slowly. Free download if you're poorer than me.

Easy Life - Viscount Cramer

CaliaMoko

• Stadium Tour
    • Late Bloomers Rock
« Reply #11 on: April 29, 2016, 03:05:56 PM »
Hmmmm, so much to think about. I think I'll take my time. After considering all these thoughts and recommendations, I plan to look into the VST first. Then the next time I'm near a store with guitars in it, I'll check out what they have. I've noticed Pawn USA often has a guitar/amp combo or two available.

@Skub: I'm willing to bet a significant amount I'm tremendously older than you are. ;D

delb0y

• Platinum Album
« Reply #12 on: April 29, 2016, 03:12:18 PM »
Late to the party, but I'd recommend Squier, too. I'm a Fender man, through and through, when it comes to electrics and those Squiers are great. That said, I'm also a big fan of the Yamaha Pacifica range. I had a Pacifica Telecaster once and it had the easiest to play neck on it that I've ever come across on any guitar ever to this day.

With all the modern VST and effects and clever stuff that I know nothing about I'm sure you can get an acoustic to sound like an electric - but if you want to get way up high and bend strings - you can't beat the real thing! There's attitude as well - that hidden ingredient. When you need to wail away and pull faces and invoke the souls of the guitar gods then you're going to need an electric.
West Country Country Boy

CaliaMoko

• Stadium Tour
    • Late Bloomers Rock
« Reply #13 on: April 29, 2016, 03:43:28 PM »
@delb0y
Never too late to party! I'm adding your comments to the mix of ideas upon which I will ruminate. Meanwhile, if I ever feel good again (after-effects of surgery will not go away...  >:( ) I'll do some practicing with what I have (acoustics and plugins).

delb0y

• Platinum Album
« Reply #14 on: April 29, 2016, 03:53:37 PM »
I hope you feel better soon, Vicki. Look on the bright side, you've got a good song title out of it: "If I Ever Feel Good Again" No rush for the song - but the title is worth jotting down!

Have a good weekend!
Derek
West Country Country Boy