Light The Fire For Me

• 33 Replies

pompeyjazz

• Stadium Tour
  • pompeyjazz
« Reply #15 on: April 29, 2016, 11:33:57 PM »
Great stuff  :)

Skub. I have been to that club and a few more like that. Sticky vomit stained carpets. Extremely Niiiice  :)

Verlon. Thanks so much. This was really going to be a throwaway track but I'm glad that I put it in the mix.

Martyn. Digger has got it spot on. I should have sung Deep in a whirlpool (OR) Inside the fire. But if I did that it would have just fed you some easy metaphor and I really love mixed metaphors  :)

Del. Glad you are enjoying Cov. I have some seriously happy memories of the Ghost town. Now reinventing itself. Has always had a very creative and original side to it. You will have to learn brum speak our kid.

Cheers John

MartynRich

• Stadium Tour
    • Personal website
« Reply #16 on: April 29, 2016, 11:39:21 PM »

Martyn. Digger has got it spot on. I should have sung Deep in a whirlpool (OR) Inside the fire. But if I did that it would have just fed you some easy metaphor and I really love mixed metaphors  :)

That wasn´t me John, I loved the lyrics, and even more so because they´re hard to work out. Loved the whole blimmin thing.

pompeyjazz

• Stadium Tour
  • pompeyjazz
« Reply #17 on: April 29, 2016, 11:42:52 PM »
Sorry, the explanation regarding the lyrics was for Guy. Not Martyn. Count Chickenfeet (Shit I can't even remember your moniker now) You have helped me so much with that sample stuff along with Mr Paul ads I am forever indebted. Big Bank Holiday Love

John

pompeyjazz

• Stadium Tour
  • pompeyjazz
« Reply #18 on: April 29, 2016, 11:46:44 PM »
Sorry, the explanation regarding the lyrics was for Guy. Not Martyn. Count Chickenfeet (Shit I can't even remember your moniker now) You have helped me so much with that sample stuff along with Mr Paul ads I am forever indebted. Big Bank Holiday Love

John

GuyBarry

• Solo Gig
« Reply #19 on: April 30, 2016, 06:40:43 AM »
Sorry, the explanation regarding the lyrics was for Guy.

Yes, thanks for that.  I was always taught to avoid mixed metaphors at school, but there are no doubt contexts where you might want to use them for deliberate effect.  Perhaps this is one of them.

PaulAds

• Stadium Tour
  • Haemorrhaging Enthusiasm
« Reply #20 on: April 30, 2016, 03:27:16 PM »
Hello John  :)

great sound to this one...i love the squishy keyboard sound...that plus the guitar and the sax sample helps give it a great funk vibe

nice vocal harmonies too...groovy times!
heart of stone, feet of clay, knob of butter

IronKnee

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #21 on: May 01, 2016, 09:13:22 AM »
Hey there Pompy......Love the lead into the harmony.
I like that swishy guitar effect, and the lead guitar, on instrumental, sound kicken', as well.
Good songwriting, man!
Good stuff!
                                 8)-Tom
"I know the truth, by my struggle against it"
                                                          -IronKnee

LostBoy

• Platinum Album
« Reply #22 on: May 02, 2016, 05:00:32 PM »
Hey PompeyJazz,Very smooth mate! I also like to genre jump,it's always a fun challenge.I really like the tone of your voice.The music is cool too.My only observation is that on the first chorus,having the sax coming BAM straight in with the vocals like that was a little distracting.It settles on repeated listens but I just feel that to my ears it's competing with the vocal instead of supporting it.I hope that makes sense.It was fine I thought throughout the rest of the song.Keep or sweep of course!  ;)

Good stuff man!  ;D

tboswell

• Platinum Album
« Reply #23 on: May 03, 2016, 09:25:21 AM »
This style seems to suit you mate, great track. Many great elements. Love the bass sound, sax. the lead guitar work is awesome, done with real authority.

The stuff that slightly took me out of it was the synth lines, the long single note lines in the background. Not sure about those, seem to go against the movement in all the other parts for me.
Everything else is great.

And the ending is superb.

One of your best, nice one  :)

Tom.

mickeytwonames

• Solo Gig
  • me, my mistress and my dog
« Reply #24 on: May 03, 2016, 11:17:57 AM »
Most cool - something i never been - so jealous of the groove. Would love to dance salsa to it.
Mickeytwonames
Practice like you live forever.
Play like you die tonight,

PTCruiser1801

• Open Mic
« Reply #25 on: May 03, 2016, 03:43:37 PM »
Pompey- Some great guitar work and effects on this track...they really are the key for me in making this a catchy song! It's not my usual style of music so I haven't much to say in the way of constructive advice...but I enjoyed it none the less, which must be a good sign! :)

adamfarr

• Stadium Tour
    • SongEspresso
« Reply #26 on: May 04, 2016, 07:02:06 AM »
Hi PJ - you definitely pulled off the funk vibe - the backing sounds great and the everything well produced for me.

Something in my mind found it a teeny bit too smooth (!) and perhaps a little flat and I wondered about injecting a bit more tempo (remember Hipsway? - great lively brand of "white funk" if I'm allowed to say that).

I thought the lyrics were a little light in places but only in comparison with some others of yours and anyway they weren't the star of the show in this - that was the groove and the guitars as others have said!

pompeyjazz

• Stadium Tour
  • pompeyjazz
« Reply #27 on: May 04, 2016, 07:31:43 AM »
Thanks everyone for taking time to review this song. It is much appreciated and I've made a few tweaks based on your suggestions. Adam, that is certainly the first time that anybody has said that I'm too smooth  :) :) Agree with you on the lyrics, fairly light, I've got some more hard hitting stuff up my sleeve  ;) Thanks all once again, really enjoyed the genre jump challenge

John

Cove

• Busker
« Reply #28 on: May 05, 2016, 04:09:25 AM »
Hey John..I really like this a lot...sax and guitar sound great,but I love that bass..nice vocals too!
great mix!

montydog

• Stadium Tour
  • http://i60.photobucket.com/albums/h40/montydog1/Me
    • Reverbnation
« Reply #29 on: May 05, 2016, 05:12:55 PM »
Hi,

Very polished recording, great playing and some lovely retro sounds. Especially liked the sax and the wah wah effects. Not my genre at all but this is clearly very classy. Not something I've ever heard on here before so you should be congratulated on your genre widening approach.

M