Comedy songs, can they be taken seriously?

• 62 Replies

GuyBarry

• Solo Gig
« Reply #60 on: November 19, 2016, 11:11:37 AM »
I decided a few weeks ago to leave comedy out of my lyrics - barring the odd (hopefully) funny line.

The "Ashley Madison" song I wrote a while back now kind of irritates me...I think I'll re-record it with some new lyrics...

Don't throw them away - they're brilliant comedy lyrics!  I remember reading them before I heard your tune for them, and imagining a rather different tune.  I agree that the tune probably doesn't match the spirit of the lyrics but that's not the fault of the lyrics.  Would you object if I tried to write my own tune for them?

The only problem with that song, as with many comedy songs, is that it's a topical one and some of the references probably wouldn't mean much to many listeners any more.  I'd actually forgotten all about Ashley Madison until I read your lyrics.  But that's in the nature of a lot of comedy songwriting.

I'd always hoped to be able to weave some comedy into my songs, but for me...I can't really make it work.

I get the feeling that it detracts from the music, unless the music lends itself to comedy too.

It depends on what you're trying to achieve, I suppose.  In most comedy songs the primary emphasis is on the words, and the music is a vehicle for delivering the humour in the right places.  If your primary aim is to get your audience to enjoy the music then maybe comedy lyrics aren't the best thing.  But I don't think the music in a good comedy song is in any way inferior to the music in other songs.  I've still got the tune of "I Like Trucking" going round my head - it's pretty catchy!

Out and out comedy or novelty songs are fine, I think (I'm happy enough with "Control-Alt-Delete")

Yes, that was hysterical.  If you can come up with more of the same I'll be delighted!

but a straight song with funny lyrics is something I'll be avoiding in future...

I don't quite know what you mean by "a straight song with funny lyrics".  If a song has funny lyrics, then by my definition it's automatically a comedy song.  I'd persevere if I were you, but I'm not of course...

PaulAds

• Stadium Tour
  • Haemorrhaging Enthusiasm
« Reply #61 on: November 19, 2016, 03:10:11 PM »
Hello Guy...thanks  :)

You're more than welcome to the "Ashley Madison" lyrics...I'd love to hear a different interpretation of them...the one line I was torn with was choosing between

"Elizabeth's a game old bird from Buckingham"

Or

"Alice...a good-looking lass from Sunderland"

which gets the "Alice in Wonderland" thing in...plus a  "through the looking glass" gag too...but may have not fitted as well...

Anyway...yours to do with as you wish...

When I said a "straight song" I just meant one without any comedic pointers...one that could have "serious" lyrics...I don't know if that makes any more sense  :D

I think music for comedy songs would be at least as difficult to write as any other...quite possibly more so. But I honestly don't know!

I always loved Fred Astaire's "we saw the sea" it's quite pointed and almost mutinous...but done in a very light-hearted way...

heart of stone, feet of clay, knob of butter

GuyBarry

• Solo Gig
« Reply #62 on: November 19, 2016, 04:22:50 PM »
Anyway...yours to do with as you wish...

Thanks!  I'll get a tune and some chords written and try it out.  I don't have any recording facilities of my own but I can probably blag some time at the studio attached to my community centre - I do enough voluntary work for them!

When I said a "straight song" I just meant one without any comedic pointers...one that could have "serious" lyrics...I don't know if that makes any more sense  :D]

It's a difficult one to pull off, I agree.  Elsewhere on the forum I mentioned "The Ballad of the Shape of Things", sung by Blossom Dearie, which I think is a sublime example.  Here's another one from my all-time favourites Flanders and Swann- "The Armadillo":

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o5IUkIu1Zx4

Almost brings a tear to the eye!
« Last Edit: November 19, 2016, 10:01:42 PM by GuyBarry »