konalavadome

Comedy songs, can they be taken seriously?

• 62 Replies

tina m

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #45 on: May 06, 2016, 01:20:46 PM »
i clicked on that youtube link you put up The S
it had over a million views!! with people screaming with laughter (in all the correct places)
omg theres a lot of money in comedy ...the only trouble was i didnt laugh once
maybe he was pulling funny faces i couldnt see or making funny balloon animals
a lot of people are taking that video seriously & calling him all sorts of grand godlike names
i think he must be a hypnotist ...
the only thing i can think of that they might be wetting themselves laughing at was that someone was strangling him
Tell me Im wonderful & I ll be nice to you :)

The S

• Solo Gig
« Reply #46 on: May 06, 2016, 01:52:23 PM »
@tinam: Sorry you didn't think it was funny, I think it is and it's one of few comedy songs I like. Mostly because first time you hear it it's very unexpected. Just picturing him singing this to his daughter in the middle of a divorce is wrong on so many levels it gets funny. To me that is.

See this proves my original point, comedy songs aren't for everyone!  ;)

S

tina m

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #47 on: May 06, 2016, 02:20:55 PM »
I am sorry S …. I was concentrating on eating my lunch & typing & being cross & completely forgot you said you liked the video ….i didnt mean it to rubbish what youd said  :)

The S

• Solo Gig
« Reply #48 on: May 06, 2016, 04:03:25 PM »
I'm at fault here completely, I mean, I haven't even told you I think you're wonderful have I?!?!

;) ;) ;)

Skub

• Stadium Tour
    • Soundcloud
« Reply #49 on: May 06, 2016, 05:09:04 PM »
The S taking on tinam?

My money's on tina early in the first round. Remember that Tyson ear biting episode? It'll be nothing in comparison.. There'll be blood and snotters all over the place.  :D

Run now S,this one has history... :o 

"she wasn't dead so I thought I'd kick her
& I was bitter so I bit her".

*Skub vacates the building....

tina m

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #50 on: May 06, 2016, 09:09:23 PM »
skub your as good as a publicist   :)
id rather have people talking about me than ignoring me

JonathanSmith

• Busker
    • Website
« Reply #51 on: May 08, 2016, 09:03:09 AM »
[quote author=GuyBarry link=topic=11139.msg104385#msg104385 date=1462003605

..."though I have a problem with Jake Thackray.  He's a very good craftsman, but I grew up with his performances on "That's Life" and I always found him unspeakably gloomy.  Maybe I was too young to appreciate him as a child, but I've listened again more recently and he doesn't sound much better.  And some of his stuff is appallingly sexist - "On Again! On Again!" in particular.  You wouldn't get away with that now."

Well, this is continuing to demonstrate comedy is one man's meat, another man's poison! I kind of agree about 'On again, on again', but in Jake's mitigation, I don't think this is his best, and also he does refer to himself as a misogynist in the song, so to some extent he's inviting ridicule on the singer, as Randy Newman did in Short People. But for me, his deadpan delivery allows for perceptions of other people's lives to be made without judgment, and he turns the mirror on the listener, to make their own minds up. Best example for me is the Hair of the Widow of Bridlington...beauty and poignancy and tragedy and heroism, and a few laughs along the way. And quite the opposite of misogynistic here! The Blacksmith and the Toffeemaker similarly. If anyone wants to try it, here's a link...  

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=xyNbd1czeyk
« Last Edit: May 08, 2016, 10:31:01 PM by JonathanSmith »

tboswell

• Platinum Album
« Reply #52 on: May 08, 2016, 10:01:49 PM »
Everyone should listen to Arlo Guthrie's Alice's Restaurant.
Worth 20mins of anyones time!

Tom.

GuyBarry

• Solo Gig
« Reply #53 on: May 09, 2016, 11:36:49 AM »
i clicked on that youtube link you put up The S
it had over a million views!! with people screaming with laughter (in all the correct places)
omg theres a lot of money in comedy ...the only trouble was i didnt laugh once

For me, the comedy in that one comes fairly clearly from the contrast between style and content.  Funnily enough, my friend (and producer) recently played me another comedy "lullaby" song which is perhaps even sicker than that one, by Tim Minchin:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ESFANzZTdYM

I'm never too sure what to make of this type of humour - sometimes I don't know whether to laugh or cringe, and there are one or two places where I definitely think he goes too far.  But it's certainly very well done.

GuyBarry

• Solo Gig
« Reply #54 on: May 09, 2016, 11:45:55 AM »
Best example for me is the Hair of the Widow of Bridlington...beauty and poignancy and tragedy and heroism, and a few laughs along the way. And quite the opposite of misogynistic here! The Blacksmith and the Toffeemaker similarly. If anyone wants to try it, here's a link...  

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=xyNbd1czeyk

It's a very charming song, without a doubt, and it tells a good story.  But it didn't make me laugh, I'm afraid.  It's more like a modern re-creation of a folk song in my view (though the boundaries between folk and comedy can be blurred sometimes).

"Leopold Alcox" (is that the right spelling?) is vaguely amusing perhaps, but the tempo is so slow and plodding that a lot of the humour is spoilt.  I know that's his style but if I were performing it I'd take it a good deal faster!

GuyBarry

• Solo Gig
« Reply #55 on: November 18, 2016, 11:37:03 AM »
I thought I'd resurrect this topic because last night I performed "I Like Trucking" from Not the Nine O'Clock News.  It's probably a good example of why comedy songs don't often sell.  It works pretty well as a stand-alone song in my opinion, but it was really the video that made it - people remember the squashed hedgehog or Pamela Stephenson fondling the gearstick rather than the song itself.  Which is a pity, because there are some quite clever lyrics and it's surprisingly interesting musically - it took me longer to learn than I expected.

A couple of weeks ago I performed another comedy song from the same era that did have some commercial success, and coincidentally also from a TV programme, Spitting Image.  It was "The Chicken Song", written as a deliberate parody of those irritating holiday disco songs like "Agadoo" by Black Lace.  Ironically, it ended up at number 1 for three weeks while "Agadoo" was only able to reach number 2!  Not sure why it did so well - everyone hated it at the time, but then you were meant to hate it, so I suppose it was a self-fulfilling prophecy.

PaulAds

• Stadium Tour
  • Haemorrhaging Enthusiasm
« Reply #56 on: November 18, 2016, 11:55:15 AM »
I decided a few weeks ago to leave comedy out of my lyrics - barring the odd (hopefully) funny line.

The "Ashley Madison" song I wrote a while back now kind of irritates me...I think I'll re-record it with some new lyrics...

I'd always hoped to be able to weave some comedy into my songs, but for me...I can't really make it work.

I get the feeling that it detracts from the music, unless the music lends itself to comedy too.

Out and out comedy or novelty songs are fine, I think (I'm happy enough with "Control-Alt-Delete") but a straight song with funny lyrics is something I'll be avoiding in future...

My contrary nature led me to believe that it could be used to kind of sucker-punch the listener and therefore have more impact...but I'm no longer sure that's even feasible...and it's certainly beyond me...

heart of stone, feet of clay, knob of butter

Paulski

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #57 on: November 18, 2016, 12:46:41 PM »
I think tongue-in-cheek is the way to go.
People don't want to hear the same joke told a hundred times, but if there is just a "hint" that the song isn't to be taken seriously I think it works. I tried to do that in my song "Print me a New Girlfriend" - not sure I succeeded 100%. I got comments (from another site) that it should have been a lot funnier  ;D ;D
Paul

Neil C

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #58 on: November 18, 2016, 11:02:36 PM »
Interesting - I often like to write and record songs with humour, which when i think about it is quite different from a comedy song. Although i guess comedy is a broad church so comedic songs are too ???
 :)
Neil 

ps one of my favourites comedy records is on the B side of let it be - here the long version with Brian Jones on sax... check it out the gooning about, love the last verse.   http://musicpleer.cc/#!361ad72a379faac736082f9d92fa1b68. Mind have you here their stoned version of 'and your bird can sing' on Anthology 2?

:-) Neil

songwriter of no repute..

delb0y

• Platinum Album
« Reply #59 on: November 19, 2016, 08:33:58 AM »
Here's a comedy song I haven't tired of yet  ;D  I think it's her expressions that make it, though.

Fascinating Aida "Dogging"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MXzaVOk_Ydk

West Country Country Boy