Tell Them I'm a Dog

• 31 Replies

GuyBarry

• Solo Gig
« Reply #15 on: April 28, 2016, 11:07:14 AM »
Very clever lyric Adam - it leaves the audience guessing whether you're a literal or metaphorical dog!  (I'm still not entirely sure at the end.)  I also liked the unusual harmonic changes, and the "raw" singing style.

My main criticism is of the rhyme-scheme.  In V1 you've got "uncouth" and "brute", and in V2 you've got "repute" and "rude".  Wouldn't it have been better to change it round so that you had "repute" rhyming with "brute"?  I'm not sure what to do with "uncouth" - it's a good word to have in there but it seems to have been chosen to rhyme with "truth" in the chorus rather than anything in the verse.  Rearrange the lyrics a bit and I think you'll have a great song!

LostBoy

• Platinum Album
« Reply #16 on: April 28, 2016, 06:57:52 PM »
Hey Adam,Ive not heard any of your stuff before but I have to say I really enjoyed your vocal delivery.You left it all on the pitch eh! Very good lyrics.Others have made some good suggestions regarding the music so I won't rehash that.I just wanted to chip in and say nice work man. ;D

Can't wait for "Sheep" it should be...wait for it...baaa..d ass!! ;D Mic drop! I'm out!! (Yeah I know! I'm a new dad,so I'm just experimenting with my new found comedic powers!! Haha!)

adamfarr

• Stadium Tour
    • SongEspresso
« Reply #17 on: May 04, 2016, 09:20:03 AM »
A bit late in getting back to this (another Birthday in the can):

Lostboy: many thanks for listening and the love for my "Commitments" moment! Ewe'll love the Sheep song too. And congratulations - sleep is just a waste of composing time anyway...

GuyBarry: thanks for getting into the detail. I can't say you're wrong re the rhymes and I did experiment. But I found I lost more than I gained - the contrast between the perfect rhyme and non-rhyme stood out, and I preferred the consonant groups of lazy-low-loud, repute-rowdy-rude. So I went with near rhymes all through... But for sure it's a compromise.

Ironknee: thanks so much - really appreciate your comments and glad you liked!

Movin Flavour: I hadn't even considered Madness or the Specials but they are important bands in my musical upbringing so maybe they're always lurking somewhere. Thanks a million for listening and commenting.

mickeytwonames

• Solo Gig
  • me, my mistress and my dog
« Reply #18 on: May 05, 2016, 02:40:35 PM »
My dog loved the guitar solo that was above human audible frequency - great lead.
Good stuff - liked it
Mickeytwonames
Practice like you live forever.
Play like you die tonight,

Paulski

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #19 on: May 08, 2016, 03:53:22 PM »
Hi Adam

You get to the hook fast - under 30 secs - I like that :).
Nice laid-back feel - fits most dogs lives.. :)
Clever lyrics - like the stops and starts and the cool bass lines.
A few pitchy spots in the vocals but they sit nicely in the mix so not a huge issue.

Good original song!
Paul

Oldbutyet

« Reply #20 on: May 08, 2016, 11:27:03 PM »
This is one of those magical songs where the woof woof language is missing, no offence and this a compliment to your artistic talent, in my listening i think Bill Murray and Christopher Walken would love this, so much character in your song.

montydog

• Stadium Tour
  • http://i60.photobucket.com/albums/h40/montydog1/Me
    • Reverbnation
« Reply #21 on: May 09, 2016, 02:44:19 PM »
Hi Adam,

I love my 2 collies to bits so I know where you're coming from. This is fun, different and interesting. I thought the arrangement was the highlight of the song - it moved along nicely and it kept my interest. Melodically and vocally I thought it lacked something special - if only Otis was still alive!

Brave as Tinam has said - I couldn't start to write a song on this subject and you've done a fine job.

M

adamfarr

• Stadium Tour
    • SongEspresso
« Reply #22 on: May 20, 2016, 07:03:54 AM »
Sorry to bump but wanted to thank all listeners:

Montydog: thanks for great comments on arrangements - I studied a million Otis songs for different combinations, sadly not got his vocals though.

Oldbutyet: I think character is what i was going for so many thanks (desperately Googles films with BM and CW and dogs)

Paulski: many thanks for listening - mixing getting better, vocals still most definitely a WIP.

Mickeytwonames's dog: if you listen backwards it says"Paul loves dogs". Thanks for listening.

crystalsuzy

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #23 on: May 23, 2016, 11:34:38 PM »
I don't know how I missed this one Adam :o I really enjoyed listening to it ??? Lot's of fun ;D
I think you sang it with lots of passion  :o
I'm assuming the sax isn't a real sax ??? a real sax would blow this out of the water, but great job anyway  ::)
I was thinking this could be sped up a bit, and it might be interesting to hear it with more volume
dynamics  :-\
I'm with some of the others when it comes to the lyrics ??? is it really about a dog or is it a metaphor?
Great job at a completely different genre for you :) :)

Jambrains

• Platinum Album
  • Jim Steinman ftw!
    • Jambrains
« Reply #24 on: May 28, 2016, 08:42:58 AM »
You're no Otis Redding (oops, you already knew that ;D) but the good news is you don't have to be, this one works brilliant with your own voice (esp. in the later half). Big grin upon my face during the whole song, really dig the lyrics. Agree with delb0y about the horn but horns are notoriously difficult to do so I wpuld not loose any sleep over that. Sure, there a few thing that could perhaps be a little tighter but I like just as it is with some "perfect imperfections". Actually a big surprised how much I like this given its not really my genre and that must count for something.

Neil C

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #25 on: May 31, 2016, 11:15:28 PM »
Adam,
Lots to like to lick hear. Great verse with the piano and brass combining. A bit of a torch song and love the way you stretching your self and the listening. Get really intense towards the ending.
Thoughts: I kinda of hope you were going to start to howl towards the end. I know its been done before but whatever ...
 :)
Neil 
songwriter of no repute..

Boydie

• Administrator
  • Stadium Tour
« Reply #26 on: June 07, 2016, 04:45:33 PM »
I really liked this

I actually got more of a "Ska" feel from this

Great concept for the lyric and the arrangement supported the song brilliantly

The production sounded great - the bass was particularly nicely "produced" and played

It was really good hearing you "let go" a bit with your vocal toward the end of the track, which had a great aggressive edge to it
To check out my music please visit:

http://soundcloud.com/boydiemusic

Twitter: https://twitter.com/BoydieMusic

Wolfini

• Solo Gig
« Reply #27 on: June 08, 2016, 10:08:43 PM »
Really great lyrics, though I have to admit that I only really understood them once I read the first comment about the true love of a dog. But I am not much of a dog guy anyways, I prefer cats (sorry...).

Musically I really liked the melody in the verse. Often verses are just boring sing-a-long, but here you have some very interesting movements.

Great drama in the end, too.

I think this is my favourite song from you so far. :)

Bye Wolfi
Finished albums: wolfgangn.bandcamp.com
Recent songs: soundclick.com/wolfini

Doodles

• Solo Gig
    • Soundcloud Page
« Reply #28 on: June 08, 2016, 10:21:27 PM »
Wow, where did that come from? Here was me hoping for some punky stuff. Then out of nowhere, something completely, completely original. Really makes the most of your vocal, turning what seemed like a weakness into a true asset. Its genius. Truly genuis. Magnificent sir. Your rise from your first submission, not long back really, has frankly been meteoric.

Not sure if I can pinpoint the influences. Not sure if I care to be honest. Love it Adam. Brilliant.

seriousfun

• Stadium Tour
    • Allan Kilgour - Original Compositions
« Reply #29 on: June 09, 2016, 11:24:21 AM »
This is such a cool song.  What an unsual perspective to write from. I thought the vox was very well done particular toward the end when you belted it out.  I read that Tina suggested you get Steve Cropper Spaniel to play guitar on it, well could you please have it that I know for certain he is unavailable as his owner has taken him out Donald Duck Dunn hunting.

Loved the song, really good stuff.

Allan.