konalavadome

Tell Them I'm a Dog

• 31 Replies

adamfarr

• Stadium Tour
    • SongEspresso
« on: April 25, 2016, 11:23:46 AM »
For sale: 3 verses about dogs. Never used... This was in the lyrics section a while back with three additional verses which I now decided were just two complicated and too much.

It's turned into a little Stax soul number. Lots of firsts for me here (probably not too hard to guess what they are...)

As always your constructive and specific feedback is really appreciated!

Comments such as "You're no Otis Redding" are unnecessary. I know that. I am Otis Farr.

Tell Them I'm a Dog

https://soundcloud.com/lutehill/dog-15-04-2016a

V1
You can tell them I'm lazy
Low and uncouth
You can tell them I'm a dog
You can tell them I'm crazy
Loud and a brute

CH
But did you tell them how selfless
How endless my love was for you?
You tell them I'm a dog
You better tell the whole truth
Tell the whole truth

V2
You can tell them I'm greedy
Of zero repute
You can tell them I 'm dirty
Rowdy and rude

CH

M8
Sometimes I pulled you forward
Sometimes you held me back
Sometimes we walked on parallel paths
Sometimes tempted by scents
Oh, I have to confess
But I always, always went where you went

CH

(c) Adam Farr, 2016

digger72

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2016, 11:41:03 AM »
Hi Adam,

This starts brilliantly. Love the swinging groove.
I liked the pauses, I would have held the first one another couple of beats - the music felt it came back in a fraction too soon for me.
The way the track ebbs and flows is very good - nice builds.
The world weary vocal works very well. I liked the backing vocals towards the end. The building vocal at the end reminded me of Screaming Jay Hawkins. Let it rip.

Cool stuff.

Digger

MartynRich

• Stadium Tour
    • Personal website
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2016, 01:09:38 PM »
Smiling all the way through listening to this...I love my dog by the way so I think the lyric is totally unfair.

This song is just a lot of fun to listen to...well written and performed and just well...fun! The unconditional love of a dog finally captured in song. Nice mix of instruments as well.

Did anyone say you sound exactly like Otis Reading?

tina m

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2016, 05:20:20 PM »
you shouldnt put yourself down like this adam...im sure your not as smelly as you make out! oh its about a real dog! silly me ;D

i thought the song lyrics were charming... songs about animals are always lovely to hear ....if only i liked dogs tho ...they are a bit smelly ??? ive chosen that smiley bcos he looks stinky

i realy liked the simple brass it was great ...i got the otis redding Stax vibe from the way the brass carried on in the stops ...nice!
 the vocals were brave & i realy admire you taking on the challenge of the loud sections... you gave quite a performance when the song demanded some feeling & volume
the bridge sounded a bit empty it needed a  guitar...what about steve cropper spaniel on rhythm!  ;D
Tell me Im wonderful & I ll be nice to you :)

Viscount Cramer & His Orchestra

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2016, 08:48:11 PM »
Adam

I have to confess that when I first saw the lyric posted up I groaned without even properly reading it which just goes to show how intolerant I can be. I just thought...dog, it's called dog, it's about a dog...oh God.

It still isn't a lyric that appeals to me though I do quite like the bridge lyric.

The verses are my favourite part melodically and because that's where the main horn riff occurs...the short stabs at the start of the riff work better than the sustained note I think....maybe the sustained note is a tad loud? I'm curious to know what you used for all the horn parts....some bits sound better than others. (edit..I've just had a listen with my guitar on hand and from what i can make out the stab bits go Ab-A-Ab-E then to a B and D chord (root and 3rd) which is fine but it sounds to me like it wants to go to F#....I know a 5th in a horn chord is supposed to be a capital crime but if both or all the instruments play the 5th - as they all played the same stab notes - I think it would sound better....give it a go. I don't want to sound like I'm an effin expert or anything...just a thought.

You're using a real bass guitar now aren't you? Enjoyed some of the lines in there....particularly liked the note bends in the bridge...are they called bends...I can't think....you know what I mean anyway.

After the verses I enjoyed the 'letting go' bit towards the end. It would be interesting to hear you really let go...I still feel some restraint!

Good feel to the song musically but I'm not mad about the dog lyric. And I love my dogs! All four of the little bastards! (medium smooth-haired Portugese Podengos by the way)

This is Yogi at 3yrs on what passes for grass in Portugal...he's 14 now.

As always I admire your invention and willingness to tackle different styles. Not just different from song to song but different to what anybody else is doing....all adds to the diversity of the forum!

Sorry to hijack your post with a picture of one of my dogs.....hope it doesn't start a trend!
Take it easy.

You can check my stuff out here. Mini-album getting bigger slowly. Free download if you're poorer than me.

Easy Life - Viscount Cramer

PaulAds

• Stadium Tour
  • Haemorrhaging Enthusiasm
« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2016, 08:53:47 PM »
Cracking stuff, Adam!

Great piano and you did an excellent job getting the expression and volume swells on those horns...really helps making them sound more authentic and I liked when the bass picks things up on the breaks too

you gave the vocals some welly too...it really comes alive then...I think this is another massive step forward for you in writing, instrumentation and performance too

Well done  :)
heart of stone, feet of clay, knob of butter

nooms

• Global Moderator
  • Stadium Tour
  • songwriter
« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2016, 09:48:37 PM »

really good adam

your singing great and devilish natural sounding
brass & piano feels perfect
lovely loose barking anthem for those emotional breakfast table moments..
think your going to be some kind of english alex chilton
like the chord seq
good lyric typically nicely twisted .. and the chorus nails it
but did you tell them how selfless
how endless my love was for you?

topstuff mate
i may not believe this tomorrow...

https://soundcloud.com/nooms-1

delb0y

• Platinum Album
« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2016, 09:57:33 PM »
Builds very nicely in a good old soul style. I like the feel, the piano and bass and drums create a lovely soulful groove. The bass in the stops was cool. Didn't quite go for the horns, especially when the notes were held - they all felt a little too perfect (timing wise). Love the lyrics - great idea for a tune. But what I love most is the slow burn, the gradual rise throughout the whole thing, culminating that fine angsty soulful vocal. Nice :-))
West Country Country Boy

pompeyjazz

• Stadium Tour
  • pompeyjazz
« Reply #8 on: April 25, 2016, 11:34:45 PM »
Adam. This is brilliant man. I love the quirkiness of this song. In some ways it reminds me of Turn Blue by Iggy Pop. What I really like though Adam is that you keep coming up with original ideas and your production is sounding really good now. I was totally intimidated by some of the pro work on here but its a huge learning process and you have produced a STONKER  :)

shadowfax

• Stadium Tour
  • Singer songwriter
« Reply #9 on: April 26, 2016, 11:13:16 AM »
This really is a big step up Adam, great work on the horns and bravo on the vocal, couple o probs with the stops but no big deal, and good original lyrics I love dogs..got 2 and have noted Tinam doesn't like dogs so will be sending the lads round to put her straight...smelly indeed!!, yeah well they do actully..but yer wash em duntya!!

you got soul man!! :) :)

best, kevin :)
« Last Edit: April 26, 2016, 01:47:31 PM by shadowfax »
Soundcloud Shadowfax6

from the nightmare!

tboswell

• Platinum Album
« Reply #10 on: April 26, 2016, 01:20:13 PM »
Like the arrangement here, the combination of the horns and the persistent piano worked really well.

The songs got a nice minor feel that reminds me of The Specials. I agree with Kevin that the stops can be tidier and the bass and drums could be a little tighter.
Your vocal prowess is coming on nicely though, there is real authority in your voice here.  :)

Fine work, Adam.

Obviously everyone should love dogs and mine is obviously the best dog in the world  :P

Tom.

Skub

• Stadium Tour
    • Soundcloud
« Reply #11 on: April 26, 2016, 08:28:55 PM »
Howling Wolf Adam and the Ruff boyz.  :D

Very imaginative in both topic and execution. Give the dog a bone!

adamfarr

• Stadium Tour
    • SongEspresso
« Reply #12 on: April 27, 2016, 06:40:40 PM »
Wow, really chuffed by your reactions and comments! I must warn you all that my next song is called "Sheep" (not joking) so you have been warned!

- digger: thanks so much - I will look at the pauses!

- Martynrich: thanks a million: this was inspired by the famous political insult: "He has all the characteristics of a dog - except loyalty" (Sam Houston about Thomas Jefferson Green)... I kind of like this lyric because its funny-serious (like me)... I have three dogs, much against my better judgment, but they have a way of getting round me...

- tinam: dammit, I had forgotten to include "smelly" and "stinky"... Thanks re the vocals - one of the firsts for me here was letting rip and pushing the vocal into raspy territory - quite surprised at what came out...

- the Viscount now known as Chickenfeet: a few answers: the horns are always playing full triads, only in many cases inverted  to give smooth transitions so the 5th may be in the bass or middle. This also kept the trumpet quite low in its range and I might have lost some impact because of that. Only free instruments here: DVS Alto Sax (expressive, but some quite nasty vibrato); DSK Tenor Sax (sweet but not expressive); and Sonatina Trumpet (quite good I think). Thanks in particular re the vocal. Perhaps there is still some restraint there, I don't know - but control still always an issue for me so inevitably a bit of a compromise...

- PaulAds: thanks for all your support - I think I am at least now at a stage of competence (and confidence) where I can actually get things sounding as I want.

- nooms: crazy the new references that come out - I was only vaguely aware of Alex Chilton and he is well worth it. Thanks so much as ever for the encouragement.

- delb0y: thanks for being so constructive. This was my first ever time using midi to program instruments I can't play so, although I think the horns came out reasonably well, I am sure there is so much more that I could do...

- Pompeyjazz: that'll probably be the only time Iggy and myself will appear in the same sentence but I feel him a little! Probably not the last time I will be called quirky though! Thanks for your positive input and appreciation.

- Shadowfax: thanks a million - means a lot coming from you. Yeah, how can anyone not like dogs? (Though I didn't until I lived with some!)

- tboswell: many thanks. I will look at those stops. Just started using ASIO for input monitoring (another first) so for the first time the bass is live without quantizing so that's probably why it's a little looser. I will look though.

- Skub: thanks! Woof!

Movin Flavour

• Platinum Album
« Reply #13 on: April 27, 2016, 09:23:02 PM »
Adam,

When I saw the title, I couldn't wait to hear the song. The lyrics are clever.

Reminds me of Madness in their later days or the Specials, the horns augment that feel.

I like it ....sadly no picture of a dog.to post.

Well done

Sandeep

IronKnee

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #14 on: April 28, 2016, 03:23:49 AM »
Hi Adam....well....I like it 8). A good fun song for the whole fam!!
Nice stuff!! I really like the words and melody.......production is entertaining, as well ;D
                                                                                -Tom
"I know the truth, by my struggle against it"
                                                          -IronKnee