Getting music published

• 3 Replies

MartynRich

• Stadium Tour
    • Personal website
« on: April 22, 2016, 01:01:11 PM »
Has anyone here successfully managed to get their music/songs published or placed? If so it would be interesting to hear your experience and how you went about it.

tone

• Administrator
  • Stadium Tour
  • Forum Former Führer
  • The People's Democratic Republic of Songwriting
    • Anthony Lane on soundcloud
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2016, 08:42:45 PM »
Hi Martyn

A few have that I know of, myself included. Unfortunately, there's not very much to say. I made some recordings to the highest standard I could, then I compiled a list of publishers who I thought fitted the music I'd made. Then I contacted them. And I waited. Then I contacted them again, and a third time if I hadn't heard from them.

A couple took the bait, but only one of them actually used tracks. I wrote a whole album for the other publisher who eventually pulled out, but it wasn't all for nothing. I send the album to another publisher who commissioned a track from me (even though they didn't want my album either).

All it took was a half dozen well produced tracks and a lot of researching/ sending/ chasing.

Hope that helps :)
New EP: Straitjacket - Listen here

1st track from my upcoming album -- Click to listen -- Thanks!

Please read the rules before posting in the feedback forums http://bit.l

MartynRich

• Stadium Tour
    • Personal website
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2016, 10:14:34 PM »
Pretty much what I thought and I´m trying to put together six tracks of differing styles to show a bit of diversity. I´m also thinking about targeting media and marketing companies directly...easier in this day and age and I may strike lucky.

S.T.C

• Stadium Tour
  • American Cars........out now
    • http://oldsongsnew.com/
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2016, 03:19:45 PM »
Flossie and myself have a published song in the U.S ,which is one of 8 ,i had pro-recorded. I tried to get the publisher to take a look at the others...not really sure anyone did? like Tone points out...they go very quiet and don't respond easily.Apart from this. and a tip sheet i subscribed too, i haven't made the effort .

I think the wise thing to do is to make music that appeals to them,the sort of stuff that they can synch to film.....cool and neutral ...nothing to bespoke and distinctive. Great songs per se ,just don't open the right doors !