Talk to me folks! What are u using?!

• 4 Replies

Good.Times.Studio.Lincoln

• Busker
    • Good Times Studio, LLC
« on: July 16, 2011, 09:58:38 PM »
This recording forum is simply 2 pages long... and the second page gets back into December of last year!  Let's talk recording folks!  What's your rig?!  What's you're software what are the pros and cons about what you're using?!?!?!

What are you using?! -

I'm running Logic 9 into an imac using a Motu 8 Pre interface.  I prefer Shure Mics as my dynamic mics (I've got an SM57 and SM57Beta) however for recording acoustic guitars I always love having a couple condensers running too.  I absolutely LOVE my V63M and I recommend it to the MAX!!! 

What do you like about your rig?! -

The pro's of using Logic 9 - The samples are phenomenal!  It took me about a year to be really fluent in the program, but now I'm feeling really good with it!

What do you not like about your rig?! -

The cons of using Logic 9 - It started crashing spontaneously in the middle of recording sessions AND there is no Auto-Save function.  Needless to say, I learned the hard way that there was no auto-save!

What do you dream of having in your studio someday?!

A NEVE 88D World-beating Digital Music Console

A room full of Neumann Microphones

That's my stuff!  You're turn!!!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
copy/paste the following:

What are you using?! 

What do you like about your rig?!

What do you not like about your rig?!

Tyler Larson
Head Producer/Recording Engineer
Good Times Studio, LLC - http://on.fb.me/pT64Tz

Ramshackles

• Global Moderator
  • Stadium Tour
  • https://soundcloud.com/ramshackles
    • Ramshackles @ Facebook
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2011, 10:44:41 PM »
Yeah, I wish more people would post about recording stuff aswell!

What are you using?! 
At home I've got a dekstop running cubase 5, with an audiophile 192 soundcard going through a little phonic mixer. Got some pretty nice little studio monitors a couple of weeks ago too - samson MediaOne 3A's. Great speakers for the price.
Use a røde NT-1A for anything that needs be mic'd, also have a small diaphragm Røde (cant remember name) for acoustic guits.
The best thing would be my instruments. Am lucky to own a 1963 Martin, a nice yamaha acoustic and a nice acoustic bass. But I guess you would rather know about the recording hardware!! Well, there is nothing I have really that couldn't be upgraded for something much better as it has been bought on a budget, begged and scrimped. But the best value item is probably my mixer which I got 2nd hand off ebay for £16 and it still works a treat 5 years later. The single purchase that made the biggest difference to my recordings was either:
1. Getting proper studio monitors. Even the cheaper ones are 1000000 times better than standard pc speakers
2. In two minds as to whether to put buying a condenser mic here or putting in the time to properly learn about compression and reverb.

The room. Being young and not that rich at all, I naturally have not much of a nice room acoustically or spaciously. But in the next few months I should hopefully be going into a nicely treated room and a large one at that, provided contracts/funding and boring stuff works out!

Being more interested in the music side of things, I dream of having the opportunities to go into other peoples wonderful studios. Although if I really had loooads of money, I'd built a super studio in a barn or old church in the country, equipped with a totally awesome retro mixing desk, some of those crazy old plate reverbs like the EMT 140, some neumann mic's and lots of pianos, keyboards and guitars

tone

• Administrator
  • Stadium Tour
  • Forum Former Führer
  • The People's Democratic Republic of Songwriting
    • Anthony Lane on soundcloud
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2011, 10:54:34 PM »
What are you using?!
Tech-wise, nothing fancy. An old Powerbook G4 (old skool macs are the best!) with logic express 8 running through a tascam US-122. My beat-up old guitar (which still sounds great) and everything else acoustic gets recorded via my failing MXL condenser mic which desperately needs replacing. All piano & midi via my Technics electric piano which I am especially fond of.

It's portable! And quick to set up.

My mic sucks, my computer lacks memory/ processing power. Apart from that, I belong to the less is more school

A grand piano - and of course the right mics to record it properly :p
New EP: Straitjacket - Listen here

1st track from my upcoming album -- Click to listen -- Thanks!

Please read the rules before posting in the feedback forums http://bit.l

Pescatore

• Busker
    • Martin Pescatore
« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2011, 09:43:42 AM »
What are you using?! 

Old PC running Cubase 4 SE, (it's quite complex enough for me) with a M Audio Delta 1010 soundcard.  I've got a Focusrite Penta Mic pre-amp connectedf to the digital in on the 1010 and a small Soundcraft mixer for the extra inputs that don't go direct in.  Monitoring through Fostex PM0.5 Monitors which are OK and I use a selection of cheap(ish) mics - Rode NT1A, Rode M3, sE Electronics X1, Blue Ball Condenser, Prodipe  A1, T-Bone SC400.

That it's all set up and ready in the spare room.  I know bits of it well but there's still plenty of unexplored scope for finding out new and interesting things/ sounds with what I've got

The PC is showing its age and struggles to run many plugins, but I've told myself I have to finish recording my new album before I go though the pain of upgrading...

A lot more time!  And a hammond B3 (and the space to put it ;D)

kip4

• Busker
« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2011, 06:53:27 AM »
What are you using?! 
pc is an old ibm 1gig ram cubase sx3 waves plug ins. a collection of guitars aquired over 30 yrs. Budget mics (ldc sdc dynamics) m audio 24/96 maudio delta 66, mini disk, mixer,patchbays, reflection screen, transcription deck, headphone amp, active monitors and i have a back up g4 mac with same sound cards

my new alice preamp it is ugly but so clean sounding and i now have a preamp good enough to try ribbon mics

everythings budget because i can afford the gear i'd like as i'm doing my house up

gap pre73 preamps neuman u87 or 84, more room treatment. more space and time