konalavadome

Possible Stupid Q. Time - Adding A Fiddle, Though I Don't Play One

• 9 Replies

delb0y

• Platinum Album
« on: April 21, 2016, 03:54:35 PM »
I use Sonar X1 LE - a free and old and cut-down version of proper Sonar. All I've ever done with it is to record what I can play live. So... guitars and a whisper of distant harmonica and voice.

What if I wanted to add a fiddle to a track?

I know some of you guys conjure up great sax lines and piano lines and all sorts and when I, and others, compliment you on that great playing it turns out you don't play those things at all, it's all samples or loops or inbuilt sound card sounds (presumably). It's still mighty impressive because playing is only one aspect - thinking up what to play is just as important and you're all doing that.

But how?

Am I asking something that is advanced. and might I first need an understanding of midi and  controller keyboards (whatever they are)? If so, I might just hire a fiddle player... But is this something I can do with a reasonably flat learning curve?

I'm assuming that if I get a loop from somewhere I'm stuck with that exact riff or phrase over and over? But if I use a sampled sound or a synth sound then can I type in the music / tap in the music / buy a keyboard, learn to play it, and play the music?

Is my thinking right here?

Cheers
Derek
West Country Country Boy

Boydie

• Administrator
  • Stadium Tour
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2016, 08:14:05 PM »
But is this something I can do with a reasonably flat learning curve?

The short answer is no!

You are right in your thinking

You have 3 options

1 Record

Hire a player and ask them to record the parts you need

2 Audio Loops

These are pre-recorded phrases that can be manipulated in many ways - especially with recent advances in technology

It can take a lot wrangling to get them to recreate what you have in your head - but if you are less fussy then you can go use loops relatively easily to add spice to your tracks

3 - virtual instruments

These tend to fall into 2 categories:

"Synths" that attempt to recreate a sound / instrument

"Samples", which play a short recording of each note

Both options allow you to "play" the instrument via MIDI - either by a keyboard, other MIDI instrument or programming notes with a mouse

The sample libraries can be expensive (and big) because they not only contain a short recording of every note, but every note at different velocities (and or playing styles)

It is then "an art" to play the instrument to get a convincing sound, which is your next challenge!
To check out my music please visit:

http://soundcloud.com/boydiemusic

Twitter: https://twitter.com/BoydieMusic

delb0y

• Platinum Album
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2016, 11:24:24 PM »
I thought as much. Thanks Boydie.

A real live fiddle player it is, then. One of the boys in the band knows Show of Hands... so maybe we can get Phil Beer to do it.  :)
West Country Country Boy

MartynRich

• Stadium Tour
    • Personal website
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2016, 01:21:53 PM »
I've played on a Phil Beer record!

Personally I would invest some time and money, if you are able, into a MIDI keyboard. There are loads of free sound samples out there and virtual instruments. That way you can play around to get the melody you want and THEN hire a fiddle player. My only problem with getting a fiddle player in before you know exactly what you want is that it could take some time for you to be happy with it. That could be expensive if you have to hire.

You could also try Fiverr or Freelancer. There are good musicians on there who will happily do a session relatively cheaply.

On the song Find Your Killer, posted in the songs section, I used a midi horn section but wasn't happy with it as it sounded too artifical, so I overlaid it with some real fiddle and it gave it a real swing sound. That was just one way I got around a problem...

shadowfax

• Stadium Tour
  • Singer songwriter
« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2016, 04:57:11 PM »
A good cheap option is Miroslav philharmonik..the first version, not the 2nd..of course you gotta get a midi keyboard and stuff but I definitely  recommend it ..Miroslav Philharmonic has featured in loads of big movies..
onwards and upwards..my friend..
alternatively..if you want a violin part I'd be happy to do one for you..just play the part on guitar and I'll do it on the Violin..virtual violin that is, but I have Audio bro LA scoring strings and believe me..you can't tell the difference..
if it's a crazy fast Irish thing though..it wont be in my skill set ::)
cheers, Kevin :)
« Last Edit: April 23, 2016, 04:58:58 PM by shadowfax »
Soundcloud Shadowfax6

from the nightmare!

adamfarr

• Stadium Tour
    • SongEspresso
« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2016, 08:04:26 AM »
Yes, I think the guys have said it all. If you are interested in production then I'd say download some free instruments, learn how to use them and work up to some better sounding ones. If production is more of a secondary thing for you and perhaps bit of a distraction from writing and performing and quickly getting to really good sounds then this may just not be a good use of your time...

The S

• Solo Gig
« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2016, 03:10:08 PM »
I think Boydie missed nr 4 on the list, and if you're up for it I'm game.

4 - Lets buy ourselves each a fiddle and start practicing.  ;)

What do you say? We don't have to do it this week but at least we can have a future plan. Then we start off by learning how to play the parts we want on our songs (if they're not too technical.) There's no better motivation I assure you. That's how I started playing harmonica in the first place.

S

8)

delb0y

• Platinum Album
« Reply #7 on: April 29, 2016, 08:08:07 AM »
It's a good call, S, but I'm going in the opposite direction. I'm cutting back on a few of the "extra-curricular" instruments that I've picked up over the years and am now just concentrating on the guitar. And even within the guitar genre, I've started focussing almost entirely on fingerpicking - I figure that tunnel vision is the only way I'll get to be able to play the darn thing the way I want to!
West Country Country Boy

The S

• Solo Gig
« Reply #8 on: April 29, 2016, 10:45:33 AM »
I hear you! Not that I have any more time to add another instrument to the list anyhow!!! ;-)

I'm always on the lookout to learn fingerpicking better so if you have any pointers let me know and I'd appreciate it. I'm eager to learn and I can hear you've come a long way.

Cheers,

S

tboswell

• Platinum Album
« Reply #9 on: April 29, 2016, 02:01:15 PM »
I have been playing viola for 7 years now and still don't fancy committing anything I can play to tape!  :)
Those string instruments are hard to master.

If you are going to hire someone, go for a young un' fresh out of college. Those young players and absurdly talented and quite often much cheaper.

I use Audio Bro LA Scoring Strings like shadowfax and they are pretty good. The challenge is know what to do with them as much of when package to use.