konalavadome

Duplication of CDs

• 8 Replies

GuyBarry

• Solo Gig
« on: April 11, 2016, 09:19:38 AM »
I've just recorded an EP of four of my songs, using a community recording venue at no cost to me.  There is a demo CD (currently with my mother) but otherwise no physical copy of the songs.  I've copied the files onto my laptop and uploaded them to SoundCloud.  The next stage is to make physical copies of the CD that can hopefully be sold for the benefit of both me and the venue.

My producer, who runs the venue, doesn’t want to bear the cost of making any physical CDs because all CDs have lost money so far.  Instead, he proposes that the venue should offer to record the EP, help with the artwork, upload it onto the internet and help with the admin of making the CD and selling it, but not to fund it upfront.  Instead,  the artist would pay the upfront costs and have the obligation of making sure it sold.  Any profits made would be split 50/50.  

He currently uses a company called Duplication Centre in Essex, where the upfront costs of making 100 CDs are about £140 - this includes all the artwork and packaging.  I'm quite hard up and reluctant to put so much money upfront.  Is there a cheaper way of doing this?  It strikes me that if we had a machine for duplicating CDs, we could do most of the work ourselves - we could print the labels and sleeves, and we'd only need the boxes.  Although there are quite a lot of unsold CDs lying around the place in boxes and we could maybe even use those.  I should add that I don't even want 100 CDs at the moment - 50 would probably be enough, but that costs about £100 and it doesn't really seem worth it.  I think that's the minimum they'll produce.

I have absolutely no experience in any of this as you may gather, and my producer is currently on two weeks' holiday.  I'd like to get going before he returns.  Any advice for me?
« Last Edit: April 11, 2016, 09:24:09 AM by GuyBarry »

tone

• Administrator
  • Stadium Tour
  • Forum Former Führer
  • The People's Democratic Republic of Songwriting
    • Anthony Lane on soundcloud
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2016, 09:56:13 AM »
Hi Guy

Short of buying some adhesive CD labels and printing them yourself (and burning each CD from your computer one at a time) I don't see another way forward. £100 for 50 sounds about right, and you've probably noticed that the cost per unit goes down considerably when you order higher quantities.

If it was me, I'd ask myself how many I need to sell to recoup my £100, and then round up everyone who wants one to see if you can make your money back in a week or two.

But since you've recorded your EP for free so far, I'd say £100 is a very small price to pay for having your music heard by a wider audience. (To give you some perspective, I paid £thousands to record my album) and I'll have to pay to get the sleeves printed too (although the studio has a duplication machine, so I won't actually pay for the disks themselves). I can ask them for a quote for 50 disks if you like? They print in colour on white, or in black on silver.
« Last Edit: April 11, 2016, 10:03:53 AM by tone »
New EP: Straitjacket - Listen here

1st track from my upcoming album -- Click to listen -- Thanks!

Please read the rules before posting in the feedback forums http://bit.l

GuyBarry

• Solo Gig
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2016, 01:29:48 PM »
But since you've recorded your EP for free so far, I'd say £100 is a very small price to pay for having your music heard by a wider audience.

That's true, and if I had a regular income I probably wouldn't bat an eyelid.  However for health reasons I can't work full-time, and I scrape a living doing private maths tuition, generally living hand to mouth.  A few months ago making an EP would have been beyond my wildest dreams, so I'm very grateful to my producer for all the work he's put in.  My mother has now lent me the money so I'm hoping I'll be able to recoup the costs fairly quickly.

(To give you some perspective, I paid £thousands to record my album) and I'll have to pay to get the sleeves printed too (although the studio has a duplication machine, so I won't actually pay for the disks themselves). I can ask them for a quote for 50 disks if you like? They print in colour on white, or in black on silver.

That would be very helpful of you - thanks.  I wouldn't normally be too concerned but there's going to be a big event on 7th May to promote the venue, and I want to make sure my CDs are on sale then.  With my producer on holiday until the 25th I'm a bit worried that we won't have enough time.

adamfarr

• Stadium Tour
    • SongEspresso
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2016, 02:11:28 PM »
Of course Bandcamp etc. also have great flexible ways to sell your music without needing to make physical copies...

Being over 21 of course I do like physical copies though...

GuyBarry

• Solo Gig
« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2016, 05:30:36 PM »
Of course Bandcamp etc. also have great flexible ways to sell your music without needing to make physical copies...

Oh sure, and part of the deal involves uploading the tracks to Bandcamp I think.  I'm a bit sceptical about whether I can make much money from them that way though - people tend to want to get stuff for free from the internet if they can.

I'll be performing all four songs at the event on 7th May, and other performers will also have their CDs on sale, so it would look a bit bad if mine weren't as well.  It's not just about promoting myself - it's about promoting the venue and the record label.

tone

• Administrator
  • Stadium Tour
  • Forum Former Führer
« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2016, 05:37:52 PM »
That would be very helpful of you - thanks.  I wouldn't normally be too concerned but there's going to be a big event on 7th May to promote the venue, and I want to make sure my CDs are on sale then.  With my producer on holiday until the 25th I'm a bit worried that we won't have enough time.
I've fired off an email to the studio manager - I'll let you know when I get a reply. :)

S.T.C

• Stadium Tour
  • American Cars........out now
    • http://oldsongsnew.com/
« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2016, 09:09:53 PM »
I've got a CD on Bandcamp..they take 10% of the sale for physical...but 'fans' can pay more if they like. If you're not selling at gigs, you've got little choice but to use the internet....but don't make a shabby product whatever you do.. ;)

JonathanSmith

• Busker
    • Website
« Reply #7 on: April 13, 2016, 07:49:19 PM »
There is a site on eBay that seems to offer very short runs at very cheap prices. I haven't tried them yet, but I'm going to give them a go at some point. They've had quite good feedback.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/50-CD-or-DVD-with-colour-printing-duplication-in-printed-card-wallets-/152045783264

There are lots of others doing something similar, so may be worth exploring other search terms.

Good luck!

tone

• Administrator
  • Stadium Tour
  • Forum Former Führer
« Reply #8 on: April 13, 2016, 09:15:30 PM »
Oooh that's a good find, Jonathan! Bookmarked, think I'll give them a go. :)