Ghost Behind Your Smile - Martyn Standing

• 34 Replies

MartynRich

• Stadium Tour
    • Personal website
« on: April 02, 2016, 04:10:05 PM »
Hi

Here is a folkish song I´ve recently written and recorded. It´s very simple and straightforward because I´ve tended to over complicate things in the past and only has two chords (taking Lou Reed´s advice) apart from a little twist in the solo. I was going for a Led Zep acoustic feel but never really got there, so thought it would be nice to add some synths at the end to give it a more modern sound. No commercial intention either, this one was just for me. I´m not really a great singer so please bear that in mind when listening to the vocals. Thanks in advance of any feedback.

https://soundcloud.com/martynstanding/ghost-behind-your-smile

Ghost Behind Your Smile

Now you´re in my hands
The battle´s nearly won
Though you´re at the end
We´ve only just begun

Come down, come down, come down
Wake up my love before you hit the ground
Wake up and show the ghost behind your smile

If you wouldn´t shine
I´d lose my way at night
Committing crimes
That I believe are right

Wake up my love before you hit the ground

Now I´m in your hands
The battle´s nearly won
If I find my way
I´m burning in the sun

Come round, come round, come round, wait until I´m up and dusted down
Come round, come round, come round, as we fly we´re rooted to the ground

Boydie

• Administrator
  • Stadium Tour
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2016, 04:20:34 PM »
I have edited the title as there was a typo, which I read as "Goose Behind Your Smile", which is probably a different song! lol  ;)

I liked the song a lot

The repeating guitar picking is lovely and you add enough interest around it to keep it "fresh"

The vocal is nice - although it sounds a little "hot" in places

You mention the song is "for you" so it is fine to have the guitar solos, which I enjoyed

My main bit of feedback/advice would be that the overall feel of the track is a little "harsh" - ie lots of high and upper mid energy

I think the overall track would benefit greatly from being "warmed up" either through a remix or adding some more bass (and introduce the bass earlier in the track) or a nice warm pad etc.

Overall though I thought this was a lovely atmospheric piece
To check out my music please visit:

http://soundcloud.com/boydiemusic

Twitter: https://twitter.com/BoydieMusic

MartynRich

• Stadium Tour
    • Personal website
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2016, 04:32:22 PM »
Thanks for the constructive criticism and especially the edit  ;D

One of my main issues is my engineering skills - they are a work in progress. I´ll certainly take your suggestions on board.

CaliaMoko

• Stadium Tour
  • Strumming on the couch in pigtails
    • Late Bloomers Rock
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2016, 08:15:30 PM »
I totally love your lyric, although I don't know what it means. :) I really like the guitars, too.

Production is far from my strong area, but--besides (or maybe part of) what Boydie said, I noticed a disconcerting thumping sound that bothered my ears a lot. I think it was a kick drum sound? But too harsh or sharp or something. Bad frequency for me, anyway. It might have been better without earphones, but it's either earphones for me or lousy onboard laptop speakers.

Good luck with your growing engineering skills!

Vicki

MartynRich

• Stadium Tour
    • Personal website
« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2016, 10:00:48 PM »
Thank you. I have had the same criticism about the kick drum from others so Ill be remixing it soon.

The lyric is about not giving up on relationships when they go awry...a common theme

Movin Flavour

• Platinum Album
« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2016, 01:08:30 PM »
Great lyrics and the guitars are excellent.

Got great haunting vocals.

It is very Folkish song, if that is what you wanted, but you could have made it into other genres, if you wanted to.

Well done

Sandeep

https://soundcloud.com/sandeep-issar/keep-on-pushing

hardtwistmusic

• Stadium Tour
  • Central Oregon Sunset
« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2016, 06:54:16 PM »
I'm listening as I type.   I liked the lyric. 

I LOVE the music.  I love the music WITH the music better than I liked it when I read. 

I liked the "kick drums" but thought they were a little louder than they should have been.  They would be better (to my ears) if I had to work hard to notice they were there. 

When a background element is there without being noticeable, it still adds something, but in a "supporting role" instead of demanding attention.  I think they add something important, but are just too loud. 

LOVED the "Ghost behind your smile" line - both on paper and in the song. 

www.reverbnation.com/hardtwistmusicsongwriter

Verlon Gates  -  60 plus years old.

MartynRich

• Stadium Tour
    • Personal website
« Reply #8 on: April 03, 2016, 08:38:30 PM »
Thank you very much. I will definitely do something about the kick drum, maybe recording some lighter percussion instead.

Im very appreciative of everybody's feedback.

adamfarr

• Stadium Tour
    • SongEspresso
« Reply #9 on: April 04, 2016, 05:47:23 PM »
I think you created a great feel here - very good of you to admit unscucessfully going for a LedZep feel - if you hadn't said anything you could have just called this your style.

I'm not a huge fan of lyrics that are so oblique but that's a style thing and nothing wrong really. The feel brings over the message in any case.

I did think that the vocals were a bit "washy" and far away but again if the feel works then probably changing that could upset things!

An enjoyable song.

delb0y

• Platinum Album
« Reply #10 on: April 04, 2016, 06:29:58 PM »
Enjoyed this a lot. Lovely feel and I enjoyed the melody, too. Nothing wrong with the vocals - they fit well. Guitars solos are always a good thing - although I think a less bluesy solo might have fitted (the fills throughout are fine - there were just a few bluesy licks in the solo that I felt didn't fit so well). Didn't really like the bass drum until the last verse and chorus by which time I'd either got accustomed to it or the extra instrumentation evened out the distraction a little.

Overall a great song and a great title!

Cheers
Derek
West Country Country Boy

Skub

• Stadium Tour
    • Soundcloud
« Reply #11 on: April 04, 2016, 08:06:50 PM »
Overall the song reminded me a lot of Robbie Robertson style,especially the guitar in places. I really liked the feel of the track,but the whole percussion side of things didn't work for me,it seemed random and distracted from the main focus of interest. Vocal wise,you carried the song well,no worries there.

retrononomusic

• Solo Gig
« Reply #12 on: April 04, 2016, 09:21:28 PM »
To be honest, the first thing that caught me is your voice. The song is great the way it is, the guitar, the swirling effect and the voice are mixing together perfectly. It was like sleeping in a soft blanket of sounds.

Simple and catchy.  ;)

Nono.

MartynRich

• Stadium Tour
    • Personal website
« Reply #13 on: April 05, 2016, 08:43:21 AM »
Thank you everybody, its really useful getting this feedback and I have to say I have never had my vocals complimented before so Im definitely sticking around.

The bluesy solo was partly to do with my Led Zep attempt - I had the guitar tuned to an open D and it was that acoustic riff which inspired the electric rather than the other way round.

The kick drum has been changed already and Ill try to develop a new mix shortly. Cheers all!

Neil C

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #14 on: April 05, 2016, 09:03:16 AM »
It worked for me, lovely simple picking and the rverebed guitar motif mingling well with the vocal, very effective. Actually sounded quiet modern nu folk lofi to these old old ears.
Thought, wasn't too sure about the rhythm when the drums kicked in, but once you were off it was fine. Also wondered whether the solo was too long and perhaps you could have come back to the vocals at 2.11.
Anyway nice one.
:)
Neil
songwriter of no repute..