What do you start with?

• 33 Replies

PTCruiser1801

• Open Mic
« Reply #15 on: April 18, 2016, 02:42:10 PM »
Good question,

I often start with a single line or a single melody line and work the song around that.

Sometimes it comes to nothing and other times it works. I have about 20 song pieces or lines at the moment saved into my phone notes that I would love to work through if I had the time but work and life gets in the way!! Someday I will build songs around all of those song bits...someday! :P

Paul

pompeyjazz

• Stadium Tour
  • pompeyjazz
« Reply #16 on: April 18, 2016, 04:25:42 PM »
Almost without exception music first. Chord progression or riff. Then melody and finally lyrics
Often find that the mood of the music which is rarely what I originally anticipated leads me in the direction of a phrase or title which I build the lyrics around.

John

tboswell

• Platinum Album
« Reply #17 on: April 18, 2016, 04:46:18 PM »
I used to start with a riff, then chords, then melody, finally lyrics. Working my way through the song from start to finish.

These days I start with title/hook, then chorus complete with lyrics and finally the verse music then lyrics. This way round it ensures that I don't write songs with amazing music that I can't find a decent lyric for, which used to happen too often. Great music leading up to a limp hook. No yay  :'(

I would definitely advocate the new way of mine, but also would suggest trying different approaches all the time to keep it fresh.

Tom.

adamfarr

• Stadium Tour
    • SongEspresso
« Reply #18 on: April 20, 2016, 10:41:22 AM »
This is a brilliant insight into the way one person's brain and process works (Rivers Cuomo):

https://soundcloud.com/hrishihirway/song-exploder-weezer

Viva La Stereo

• Open Mic
« Reply #19 on: April 20, 2016, 04:33:54 PM »
It's different every time for me, really. But what I mainly seem to do is just come across a line, a sentence, something just arrives in my head. Like David Lynch says, it's a lot like fishing, ideas are like bait, you leave it out there and then something else bites, and then something else, and so on and so forth, until you have something.

Sometimes the 'thing' that arrives in my head won't be suitable for a chorus, so I'll simply write it down as the first line to a verse. That way I lead into the song lyrically with the theme that made me write it in the first place.

It's a weird thing, writing a song. I love how we all seem to have our own ways.

hardtwistmusic

• Stadium Tour
  • Central Oregon Sunset
« Reply #20 on: May 10, 2016, 09:36:36 PM »
It's not one of the things that everyone is talking about, but what I "start with" in every case is a "deep sense of curiousity" about what some snippet of a song (could be a short bit of tune, a short lyrical concept, an instrumental sequence of notes etc) might become. 

If I'm not deeply curious (i.e. deeply interested) how can I expect to write something interesting. 

That said.... I start with whatever triggers my interest.  Sometimes it's lyric first.  Sometimes it's vocal melody first.  Sometimes it's accompaniment first.  Sometimes it's a combination.  If there is a sequence I haven't written a song to, it means I haven't been able to think of it.  I can't think of a sequence I haven't tried. 

And, thus, I can't think of an element of a song I haven't "started with."  I like to stay open to possibilities. 

I'm not saying that's the best way.  It's just how I do it.
www.reverbnation.com/hardtwistmusicsongwriter

Verlon Gates  -  60 plus years old.

m9@655

« Reply #21 on: June 12, 2016, 11:36:24 AM »
Hi everyone.

I'm not sure if this has been asked before so please tell me if I'm doing something wrong! lol

I was just wondering what you guys like to start with when you're writing a song. Is it melody or lyrics? Verse or chorus? Chords or bass line?

Personally I tend to start with the first line, write a melody to fit and carry on like that until I have a complete song. More rarely I might start with a chorus.

How about you guys?

just found this on another site. Take a look it might help.

http://diymusician.cdbaby.com/musician-tips/5-starting-points-songwriting-advice-anecdotes-joni-mitchell-john-fogerty-rodney-crowell/
« Last Edit: July 23, 2016, 01:32:25 PM by tone »

Strummer

• Busker
« Reply #22 on: July 23, 2016, 10:47:30 AM »
Almost always it starts with a hook, which usually becomes the chorus and it builds from there. Sometimes the hook will come when I'm playing around on the guitar, but the best ideas come when I'm driving, strangely. I've normally got a few lyric concepts or titles buzzing around my head and if I think one of those suits the mood of the music I'll start to put it together from there.
Often too I'll have the concept of a mood or feel that I want to use as a basis for a song, without any tune or words at that stage.

MartynRich

• Stadium Tour
    • Personal website
« Reply #23 on: July 23, 2016, 06:07:54 PM »
It could be anything from a hook, to a jam over a chord sequence to a sound in my head. Most ideas come to me when I´m not next to a musical instrument so I´ll either record them on my phone or wait until I get home. On a few occasions I´ll just sit down and start from scratch in the DAW and see what I can build up.

Friedemann

• Open Mic
  • You got to sound gefährlich!
    • Holistic Songwriting on Facebook
« Reply #24 on: July 24, 2016, 09:24:32 AM »
Hey CarylA,

It very much depends on the type of song I'm going for.
For example, if I want to write a harmonically complex song,
I'll start on paper and figure out my chords and melody
there before I grab my guitar.

If you're looking for some interesting ways to start a song,
check out this video outlining 9 of them:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yzFMkuR1y54
"You got to sound gefährlich"

R.G.S

• Busker
    • Simple Songwriting Solutions
« Reply #25 on: July 28, 2016, 04:04:47 PM »
I also like to start with a hook. For me this is usually a lick or a melody I will have stuck in my head constantly changing as I experiment.

I take it to my guitar and play it repeatedly, speed it up, slow it down and hum or speak nonsense words over the top of. Lyrics start to form and chord sequences take shape.

Everything is constantly changing during the writing process so I never feel to bad if my initial hook changes to become unrecognisable from what I started with. 9 times out of 10 this method gives birth to something I want to take further
Feel free to check out my free PDF on beginning and improving your songwriting.

Simple Songwriting Solutions

AdamHarkus

• Open Mic
    • The Blogging Musician
« Reply #26 on: July 28, 2016, 04:21:55 PM »
For me 3 ways from the Acoustic Guitar.....

1) I manage to come up with interesting chord sequence, which I go along with, then figure out a melody over the top.

2) I figure out an interesting melody over a more regular chord sequence.

3) A catchy melody comes to me (often overnight!) , and I figure out the chords to back it up.

I also used to have a keyboard workstation where I simply ran through a bunch of presets for inspiration. But that's sort of cheating ;)

The Blogging Musician @ https://adamharkus.com

hardtwistmusic

• Stadium Tour
  • Central Oregon Sunset
« Reply #27 on: August 05, 2016, 06:04:30 AM »
bits! ...all the time Im looking out for bits of lyric ..of titles ..of ideas ..of chord sequences ..of melodies ..of sound fx.. of plots..of jokes.. of riffs & lead guitar lines  etc & I either record them or write them down & give them odd names so I will remember a little about them
twice a year I open up my bits collection  & start putting things together like a jigsaw...theres so much stuff in there by then ive got loads of combinations to try
I usually write about 15 at once & its realy fun & its quite quick :)

Okay.... if anyone is just beginning to write.... Well, what Tina just said is absolutely the "heart of the matter."  "Bits" of a song.  Simple as that.  THAT is where to begin. 

"BITS."  We (songwriters) all subconsciously collect them.  It took Tina to put it into words and communicate what we all do.  (at least I think we all do it. . . I certainly do.) 

As Tina pointed out, it's important to collect all kinds of "bits."  Every "bit" can be the trigger to a great song. 

This might be the most important insight I've seen on this forum. 

www.reverbnation.com/hardtwistmusicsongwriter

Verlon Gates  -  60 plus years old.

Craig Watkins

• Busker
« Reply #28 on: September 07, 2016, 10:28:31 PM »
Melodies first for me.

I wrote a song called "Penny" as I was laying slabs in work. Recorded it on my phone in the car, then went from there. All based around a penny and being down on your luck.

Helena4

• Open Mic
« Reply #29 on: September 09, 2016, 08:44:12 AM »
For me, the lyrics and the vocal melody usually come together. I sing and write simultaneously. Or more like, I pace and I sing and then I write it, and then I type it up and fiddle with it. If I write a lyric without a vocal melody it usually becomes a poem. Instrumentals are difficult for me to create after that haha. I have done a couple of songs with a guitar part first. That was great tbh because it was probably easier that way round. But I find the lyrics a bit more interesting and vocals more dynamic when I start with my singing instead.
In her kiss, I taste the revolution...
I am a rebel girl.