What do you start with?

• 33 Replies

CarylA

• Busker
  • Life is a song.
    • Caryl Archer
« on: March 31, 2016, 10:04:35 PM »
Hi everyone.

I'm not sure if this has been asked before so please tell me if I'm doing something wrong! lol

I was just wondering what you guys like to start with when you're writing a song. Is it melody or lyrics? Verse or chorus? Chords or bass line?

Personally I tend to start with the first line, write a melody to fit and carry on like that until I have a complete song. More rarely I might start with a chorus.

How about you guys?

PaulAds

• Stadium Tour
  • Haemorrhaging Enthusiasm
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2016, 09:56:53 PM »
i like to start with failure and work my way back from there  :)
heart of stone, feet of clay, knob of butter

CaliaMoko

• Stadium Tour
  • Strumming on the couch in pigtails
    • Late Bloomers Rock
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2016, 01:05:22 AM »
I don't always do it the same way. Sometimes I do it that way (start writing words and coming up with melody lines as I go). Other times I write all the lyrics for the whole song and then start listening to beats to give me ideas for a rhythm which, in turn, leads to possible melodies. Or I decide on a chord progression to use first and then come up with words, rhythm and melody to match.

Sometimes I'll notice a melody fragment running over and over in my mind. I try to write those down and come back to them later. If I don't have any music paper handy, I'll sing it into my phone and name it something like "Pretty do do do" or "Nice da da da"...I have one called "La da dadada da..."

I guess I have a kind of hodge podge set of approaches.

Vicki

GuyBarry

• Solo Gig
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2016, 09:41:26 AM »
I was just wondering what you guys like to start with when you're writing a song. Is it melody or lyrics? Verse or chorus? Chords or bass line?

"First comes the phone call" - Sammy Cahn  :)

With me I think it varies from one song to another.  With the song "Ask Me Another" that I posted to the feedback forum, I was thinking of writing in a more laid-back style than usual, and had a vague tune in mind, but couldn't think of a topic to write about.  Then I noticed my poll card for the upcoming referendum, noticed that the word "referendum" nicely fitted the tune that I was thinking about, and progressed from there.

But it doesn't always work that way.  There was one song I wrote recently where I'd already written the tune for something else, but it turned out to be unsuitable.  There'd been something in the news about the creation of an English national anthem that week, so I took the topic of "England" and fitted some appropriate words to the tune.  (I won't say more in case I spoil the song before I post it.)

Boydie

• Administrator
  • Stadium Tour
« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2016, 11:54:26 AM »
I like to establish a title and concept first, which I will use to write the chorus

I then try to ensure that the whole song revolves around this SINGLE concept - both musically and lyrically
To check out my music please visit:

http://soundcloud.com/boydiemusic

Twitter: https://twitter.com/BoydieMusic

MartynRich

• Stadium Tour
    • Personal website
« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2016, 01:01:01 PM »
I have two main ways. First I will sit down and jam out a progression and melody with my guitar and if I like what I come up with then I will put it down on my phone or DAW to grab the idea. The other way is that songs or melodies will come to me when Im out walking the dog. That gives me the opportunity to embarrass myself by singing in public just to get the idea down. It works though and I have gotten some good stuff doing it that way.

The S

• Solo Gig
« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2016, 05:08:07 PM »

That is brilliant!  :D

Me, there's really no set way of doing things. Usually music comes first but not always. Though I prefer to put words to music than the other way around. I generally have an idea about what I'm supposed to write about but it happens the song takes a completely different direction than I had in mind. Some songs takes an hour to complete (rarely) and some years. I just try to roll with whatever works I guess. Again, I have no set way of doing things.

S

Paulski

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #7 on: April 08, 2016, 05:56:51 PM »
I start with a hook. Google the sh*t out of it.
If it passes muster there, I try to stay faithful to it - and not abandon it :)

GTB

• Platinum Album
  • Valar Morghulis
« Reply #8 on: April 08, 2016, 10:40:51 PM »
Doh...
GTB

delb0y

• Platinum Album
« Reply #9 on: April 08, 2016, 11:14:36 PM »
Lyrics for me. I need a story, a character, something the song is about. Then I simply choose one of the four melodies I'm able to sing and it's done  :-\

West Country Country Boy

adamfarr

• Stadium Tour
    • SongEspresso
« Reply #10 on: April 11, 2016, 02:17:50 PM »
I have to start with a line or a phrase: words usually already have their own rhythm and at least some melody and the rest builds on there.

I'm always amazed at the number of people who start with music and progressions as that just isn't me. I've had a few riffs and melodic ideas hanging around but - it may be force of habit - I find it really awkward later to fit lyrics to them...

tina m

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #11 on: April 11, 2016, 09:07:47 PM »
bits! ...all the time Im looking out for bits of lyric ..of titles ..of ideas ..of chord sequences ..of melodies ..of sound fx.. of plots..of jokes.. of riffs & lead guitar lines  etc & I either record them or write them down & give them odd names so I will remember a little about them
twice a year I open up my bits collection  & start putting things together like a jigsaw...theres so much stuff in there by then ive got loads of combinations to try
I usually write about 15 at once & its realy fun & its quite quick :)
Tell me Im wonderful & I ll be nice to you :)

shadowfax

• Stadium Tour
  • Singer songwriter
« Reply #12 on: April 14, 2016, 08:02:06 PM »
Lyrics for me. I need a story, a character, something the song is about. Then I simply choose one of the four melodies I'm able to sing and it's done  :-\

:D :D :D :D fell of me chair laughing  :D :D :D

for me, melody first..always..
Soundcloud Shadowfax6

from the nightmare!

shadowfax

• Stadium Tour
  • Singer songwriter
« Reply #13 on: April 14, 2016, 08:03:29 PM »

you need yer own TV satire show mate.. :D :D :D
Soundcloud Shadowfax6

from the nightmare!

tboswell

• Platinum Album
« Reply #14 on: April 18, 2016, 09:37:55 AM »
From now on I'm going to begin all my songs quoting you Paul! Steal from the best  :D ;D