The Mark of the Chains

• 46 Replies

GuyBarry

• Solo Gig
« Reply #15 on: March 29, 2016, 04:39:40 PM »
It's got a strong vocal performance, effective instrumental backing, a catchy melody and a great "hook".  My only quibble is with the line "I seem to feel the mark of the chains".  Maybe I'm being over-literal here but my understanding is that a mark is a visual thing and can't really be felt.  But perhaps you were speaking metaphorically.

Otherwise, superb work!

pompeyjazz

• Stadium Tour
  • pompeyjazz
« Reply #16 on: March 29, 2016, 11:34:36 PM »
Hi Vicki. Have not been on the forum too much recently. Hey life gets in the way. This is a lovely song. I am definitely getting some dusty Springfield vibes which is amazing. Hats off to boydie as well who is a production genius. Great 60s vibe in 2016.

Genuinely fantastic work

Pompeyjazz

hardtwistmusic

• Stadium Tour
  • Central Oregon Sunset
« Reply #17 on: March 29, 2016, 11:46:07 PM »
All the wonderful feedback you've received, and all I can add is that "I liked it a lot." 

BTW... you are really growing as a vocalist before our eyes/ears.  Dunno if you can observe that or not. 
www.reverbnation.com/hardtwistmusicsongwriter

Verlon Gates  -  60 plus years old.

CaliaMoko

• Stadium Tour
  • Strumming on the couch in pigtails
    • Late Bloomers Rock
« Reply #18 on: March 30, 2016, 01:33:55 AM »
GuyBarry: Thank you! And I can explain the "feeling the mark" thing. The chains were so heavy on Husayn Ali's shoulders they actually left dents in his flesh that you could feel with your fingers. Those dents never went away.

Pompeyjazz: Thank you so much! And I know all about life getting in the way! I could write a book, really!

Verlon: Thank you for the compliment! I did notice I was in good voice the day I did the vocals for this. I know to do my best I need to do vocal exercises every day, and I often don't manage to do that. I had done so, though, recently, and it did show. I am so pleased you noticed! :)

Vicki

bigFishAndTheSmallPondets

• Open Mic
« Reply #19 on: March 30, 2016, 07:10:34 AM »
Love this! As already mentioned by someone else, I also could imagine this as part of a Tarantino soundtrack. It has, at least to these ears, a slightly Western feel to it that would sit comfortably next to some of Ennio Morricone’s music.

The vocal delivery is great. It has a hurt but also enduring quality that I think fits the motif of the song very well.

The lyrics are very compelling. You get a real sense of oppression and entrapment. At the same time, however, it also feels as though the protagonist may yet triumph and overcome the oppression just through the sheer power of the melody.

Very well done.

delb0y

• Platinum Album
« Reply #20 on: March 30, 2016, 07:33:53 AM »
Very good. As others have said it has a lovely sixties vibe about it - which is great. Lovely song, melody and chords. Nicely memorable. A fine production.

Well done :-)
West Country Country Boy

GuyBarry

• Solo Gig
« Reply #21 on: March 30, 2016, 07:55:16 AM »
GuyBarry: Thank you! And I can explain the "feeling the mark" thing. The chains were so heavy on Husayn Ali's shoulders they actually left dents in his flesh that you could feel with your fingers. Those dents never went away.

Oh I see.  I was interpreting "feel" as "experience emotionally" rather than "perceive by touch".  It shows that song lyrics can be read on all sorts of levels.  Very subtle!

CaliaMoko

• Stadium Tour
    • Late Bloomers Rock
« Reply #22 on: March 30, 2016, 02:30:06 PM »
bigFish...et al: Everything you said is exactly my hope for the song! Thank you bunches and lots! :D

delb0y: Thank you so much for the compliment!

GuyBarry: Oh, an "impression" I hadn't considered but which I like! Implies imagining I can feel what it's like to have the chain pressing down on me. :)

Frenchy

• Open Mic
« Reply #23 on: April 01, 2016, 07:35:24 PM »
Keep listening to this..the melody is so strong and the vocal tone and delivery is authentic and most of all believable.
nice one Vicki
Frenchy

CarylA

• Busker
  • Life is a song.
    • Caryl Archer
« Reply #24 on: April 01, 2016, 09:29:00 PM »
Hi Vicki,

Thanks for posting this. I was on your Soundcloud earlier today and happened to listen to this and a couple of other tracks. I can say I really enjoyed this one. I really like the repeating line in the lyrics and the melodies that go with it. I liked the arrangement and your vocal delivery. Good job!

PaulAds

• Stadium Tour
  • Haemorrhaging Enthusiasm
« Reply #25 on: April 01, 2016, 09:39:53 PM »
knocked me off my seat initially wondering where you'd gained all of those recording/production skills

great work from you and Boydie

i found the change of feel at the start and end a little disconcerting...but it certainly works to make a statement and grab the listeners attention

it sounded very much like a '60's film/tv score to me...and very good it is, too
« Last Edit: April 01, 2016, 09:46:36 PM by PaulAds »
heart of stone, feet of clay, knob of butter

CaliaMoko

• Stadium Tour
    • Late Bloomers Rock
« Reply #26 on: April 02, 2016, 12:19:16 AM »
@Frenchy, CarylA, PaulAds:
Thanks a bunch for the lovely and complimentary words.

knocked me off my seat initially wondering where you'd gained all of those recording/production skills

In my fondest dreams! I'm learning, and I'm reasonably certain I'll be really good by the time I'm, ummm, 85. ;D

i found the change of feel at the start and end a little disconcerting...but it certainly works to make a statement and grab the listeners attention

Someone else mentioned that, as well, and I've listened to it several times. I think it's a feature that carried forward from my original, somewhat deteriorated, recording (that I'm replacing with this one). Maybe I should re-think it. I don't remember why it was done that way. I'd like to think it was to make a statement, but...probably more a case of "it just happened".

Vicki

IronKnee

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #27 on: April 02, 2016, 06:41:38 AM »
First off....great melody!!
The lyric seems incomplete, however. What you have is Grand, but there needs to be more (IMHO). The lyrical and musical hook is stellar, and in perfect harmony. really good song. it's just when I read the lyric :o......I wanted more  ;)
Truly, a good song!
                                                   8)-Tom
"I know the truth, by my struggle against it"
                                                          -IronKnee

Boydie

• Administrator
  • Stadium Tour
« Reply #28 on: April 02, 2016, 05:19:02 PM »
I am so pleased the 60's feel has been picked up

I wanted to "beef up" the original recording VICKI sent and give it some drive as it was originally a bit "hymn like"

A fully modern production would have clearly not been appropriate but I felt a 60's "Flower Power" type vibe would work well with VICKI's vocal

It is interesting reading comments about the intro and outro - the tempo is the same but the rhythm has "swing". This was how it was in the original demo so I thought it would be a good aspect to keep to make the song a little different

On the production side I have a couple issues with tambourine and cymbals which sound a little out of control. Probably too loud or it could even be the soundcloud encoding, however they could do with being tamed a little IMO. Hey just my opinion thinking out loud

I did wonder where this comment came from as there are no issues when I listen on my laptop, headphones of iPad from Soundcloud

HOWEVER, last week I played it to someone at work (using the same Soundcloud link) and experienced exactly what you described so something can definitely go wonky with Soundcloud

Having worked with ARKWRIGHT on the "Greatest Lie", which was an "anti-religion" song it is nice to redress the balance!
To check out my music please visit:

http://soundcloud.com/boydiemusic

Twitter: https://twitter.com/BoydieMusic

CarylA

• Busker
  • Life is a song.
    • Caryl Archer
« Reply #29 on: April 02, 2016, 11:37:28 PM »
This song has been in my head all day. I listened to it as I was getting ready this morning.