konalavadome

Choosing subject-matter

• 11 Replies

GuyBarry

• Solo Gig
« on: March 23, 2016, 05:42:54 PM »
This is another thing that intrigues me; how do you decide what to write about?  It came up in the review forum concerning "Big Star", but there's a more general point here.

I try to write songs about subjects that other people might not have considered.  That's especially important in comedy, where the whole point is to deliver the unexpected.  But even in my more "serious" songs I try to look at subjects that may not have been addressed elsewhere.  The one I posted here was about deciding how to vote, which I don't think has been tackled in any other song.  An original idea for a song is perhaps more important than an original melody or lyrics.   I must spend more time thinking about the subjects for my songs than I spend writing them.  But I often go for ages without coming up with anything, and it bothers me.

How do all of you come up with your ideas for a subject?

CaliaMoko

• Stadium Tour
  • Strumming on the couch in pigtails
    • Late Bloomers Rock
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2016, 02:38:27 AM »
Sometimes I try to think up something on purpose. Sometimes I ask people to give me a title (sometimes that works, sometimes it doesn't). Sometimes I just start playing some chords I like on the guitar and see if any inspiration hits. Sometimes I'll go looking specifically for a chord progression that intrigues me and see if anything comes of it. Sometimes I dream something that later turns into a song.

Once I browsed some old public domain sheet music (online at the Johns Hopkins Levy Library: http://levysheetmusic.mse.jhu.edu/), found a song that appealed to me and rewrote it. When I got done it had new words and a new melody. It didn't resemble the original song much at all.

I guess I don't really have an organized approach at all....

Boydie

• Administrator
  • Stadium Tour
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2016, 07:53:38 AM »
It all depends on what you are trying to achieve with your songs

If you are trying to write so that your songs appeal to others (eg if you are writing commercially, writing as an artist trying to build a following or simply want other people to love your songs) your best approach would be to choose subject matter that many people can relate to and engage with emotionally

You can still be creative and find new ways of saying the same old things

The obvious choice is to write about "love" - however there are many ways to tackle this

Unrequited love, the chase, finding the one, breaking up, the aftermath of a breakup etc. etc.

The most powerful songs tend to be the ones that focus in on a single aspect - so rather than telling the story of a relationship from start to finish - just focus on one part

There are still new ways to say things - Bruno Mars would "catch a grenade for ya!"

If you are writing comedy songs I still think looking for an emotional engagement angle would be beneficial

Would a song about deciding who to vote for be engaging on an emotional level?

HOWEVER - would the consequences of not voting be more engaging - or a song about you having the "casting vote" - or a song about it being pointless voting as it won't make a difference -- rather than trying to tackle the whole issue around who to vote for

Just some food for thought...
To check out my music please visit:

http://soundcloud.com/boydiemusic

Twitter: https://twitter.com/BoydieMusic

GuyBarry

• Solo Gig
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2016, 08:15:03 AM »
You can still be creative and find new ways of saying the same old things

Yes, but I don't particularly want to do that.  I like to surprise people if I can.  Another song I wrote recently was about the naming of a particular type of drink (I won't give too much away because I intend to post it to the forum in due course).  When I performed it it really caught on with the audience and they all started singing the "hook" line with me.  When that happens I regard the song as a success.

The obvious choice is to write about "love"

Far too much of a crowded field for me!  I'll leave that to others I think.  (Actually I did write a short song recently about a personal relationship, but it didn't really work.)

If you are writing comedy songs I still think looking for an emotional engagement angle would be beneficial

In comedy, the most important emotional engagement is making the audience laugh, and if I can do that then I'm content.  However that's not to say that you can't have more thoughtful comedy songs as well.  I recently performed "Misalliance" by Flanders and Swann - a song that on the surface is about the habits of climbing plants, but on a deeper level is a satire on social snobbery.  I'd like to be able to write like that.

Would a song about deciding who to vote for be engaging on an emotional level?

Well I presume you heard it - did it engage you?  I wanted to convey a sense of helplessness and being overwhelmed by the whole thing - that's the reason for the repeated line "why would anyone want to ask me?"  Then at the end I turned it round and addressed the audience - "make your mind up, they're going to ask you".  I would say that that's engaging people emotionally.

GuyBarry

• Solo Gig
« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2016, 08:22:31 AM »
Sometimes I just start playing some chords I like on the guitar and see if any inspiration hits.

How does that give you inspiration for the subject-matter?  Do you start singing words over the chords?

delb0y

• Platinum Album
« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2016, 10:29:48 AM »
I like stories. So most of my tunes will be about someone doing something Second best are character studies. So if I can't think of an idea for a story then I'll write about someone. I rarely write about an emotion, such as love.

However, all this might change.

When I sat down and analysed The Heart of Saturday Night (see Open Mic area) recently it really got me thinking. I have a long term plan for my singer-song-writing (nothing major, just a little local plan to keep me ticking over musically in retirement - which is why, alas it's a long term plan. Basically I don't want  to be humping lots of guitar amps and drums and huge PA systems and pianos everywhere - so I want to go acoustic!) and I'm starting to think that if I want to connect with people then maybe I have to look beyond stories. I've done a few solo gigs recently and I'm really paying attention to what works and what doesn't - both when I'm playing and when my fellow performers are paying - and more and more I'm re-thinking subject matter. There are times in a set, and there are venues, where story songs (or lyrically dependant songs) work - but there's a massive need for flexibility. So it's that flexibility I'm now starting to ponder on.

Cheers
D
West Country Country Boy

CaliaMoko

• Stadium Tour
  • Strumming on the couch in pigtails
    • Late Bloomers Rock
« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2016, 01:28:15 PM »
Sometimes I just start playing some chords I like on the guitar and see if any inspiration hits.

How does that give you inspiration for the subject-matter?  Do you start singing words over the chords?

Good question. After some reflection, I believe I don't get my inspiration from the chords. I think it's more a case of having a specific theme in mind, but no direction. Choosing some chords to play and coming up with maybe a short progression I like, then thinking of a couple key words I think represent the theme I want, and finally throwing together a few phrases to get me started, using those key words...is a more accurate description of that one.

Sometimes I'll say to myself, "What's something I want to write a song about?" And go from there.

Actually, in more recent history (like, up to the past week), I've looked through my files (on paper and in the computer) at various fragments of melodies and words I've been collecting over the years, choose one, and work on it. I'm finishing up one of those right now ("See the Light"); it's in "Lyrics" at the moment, but as soon as I can update my recording, it'll be going into "Works in Progress".

tone

• Administrator
  • Stadium Tour
  • Forum Former Führer
  • The People's Democratic Republic of Songwriting
    • Anthony Lane on soundcloud
« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2016, 07:54:38 PM »
To offer a slightly different perspective, I would put forward the idea that your song doesn't *have* to be about anything.

Sometimes I'll have a very definite idea of what I want to write about, and sometimes that makes the lyric writing process extremely laborious. When I decided to write a song about 9/11 I though it would be quite straightforward because there's so much to say. Turns out it took 3 and a half months to write the bastard thing! Probably won't tackle that again.

But some of my songs begin just singing 'shapes' over a chord progression (which is how I tend to write my melodies). Sometimes the shapes feel so right, that I begin trying to find a first line or two that fit those shapes - and that dictates the lyrical direction without making a conscious decision about themes.

Those who have heard my songs will also know that I'm not afraid to be a bit abstract. Maybe too strong a word, but I don't mind suggesting a mood, image or theme to the listener without making it obvious. I find this approach can open your song up in new ways, and lead you toward different lyrical material than you might otherwise write.

Sorry if this doesn't really answer your original post, I just thought it was an interesting thread, and I had something to say! :)
New EP: Straitjacket - Listen here

1st track from my upcoming album -- Click to listen -- Thanks!

Please read the rules before posting in the feedback forums http://bit.l

Skub

• Stadium Tour
    • Soundcloud
« Reply #8 on: March 29, 2016, 11:39:43 PM »
When left to my own devices I don't ever sit down to write a song as such. Inspiration usually comes from something which made my emotions light up, I need to feel passionate and involved with the chosen topic. When this occurs the song is a natural byproduct of the emotional process.

Recently something happened to turn that process on it's head. I was asked to write half a dozen songs for a musical. Each song had a very different,but definite remit. Much to my surprise I found this exercise to be extremely liberating and far more productive than usual.

My point is,even when you think you have a specific way of working,sometimes a change of tack can open up new avenues of inspiration.

GuyBarry

• Solo Gig
« Reply #9 on: March 30, 2016, 08:07:00 AM »
To offer a slightly different perspective, I would put forward the idea that your song doesn't *have* to be about anything.

You mean like this one?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RRQlsvWMWBo

Second-placed entry for Belgium in the 2003 Eurovision Song Contest, in a completely invented language.  Totally meaningless.

But if we're talking about songs in real languages like English, it's hard to imagine one with no meaningful content at all.  I suppose you've got semi-gibberish songs like the Beatles' "I am the Walrus" but even that conjures up all sorts of imagery.  Can a song truly be said to be about nothing?

delb0y

• Platinum Album
« Reply #10 on: March 30, 2016, 09:58:04 AM »
Whilst walking through the town centre yesterday I came across a busker singing (and posing) to popular songs of the 1960s / 70s for which he had backing tracks. I popped into Waterstones, came out, and he had a Shadows instrumental playing. He was still doing the poses. Didn't have a lot of money in his hat. Anyway, it made me think that instrumentals are songs, too - do we ever get those on the site here? I guess an instrumental wouldn't have to be about anything and I suspect that in the grand scheme of things there have been more of them than songs with words.
West Country Country Boy

PaulAds

• Stadium Tour
  • Haemorrhaging Enthusiasm
« Reply #11 on: March 30, 2016, 10:20:42 AM »
I'd guess that it'd come from your personality, mostly.

I'm an Englishman, generally disgruntled, with a lot of interest in history and current affairs and have a slightly non-conformist outlook on life and death and most things in between.

I put that into songs, in fact, I don't suppose I could avoid it, really.

Whether it's a good idea, I don't know...swings and roundabouts perhaps

My recent "love song with a twist" entry - "honeymoon at home" (about Adolf Hitler) caused a slight disturbance in a few people. My wife doesn't like listening to it because of the subject matter...

Though she likes the tune...it's enough to put her off.

heart of stone, feet of clay, knob of butter