konalavadome

So, when does Rock become prog rock?

• 34 Replies

shadowfax

• Stadium Tour
  • Singer songwriter
« Reply #15 on: March 22, 2016, 06:34:06 AM »
Back when I was taking online guitar lessons with the great jazz player Jimmy Bruno (well worth it, by the way) he said his solos would often get analysed to death by various people - they'd say stuff like (and none of this is an actual quote) "He's substituting an F#min6 for an A major here" or "He's employing the Mixolydian for two bars and then returning to the tonic via the Super Locrian" or "That high Ab, resolving to the Bb, is from the minor blues pentatonic and hints at his blues roots" and Jimmy would say "nope, just played the major scale and used some outside notes - and I should know because they were my solos."

Yeah..this kind of pretentious crap happens a lot in art when they try to explain why a piece of modern art is not actually rubbish, which it usually is..Tracy Emmins unmade bed for instance..
Soundcloud Shadowfax6

from the nightmare!

Boydie

• Administrator
  • Stadium Tour
« Reply #16 on: March 22, 2016, 08:05:05 AM »
it was exactly this kind of thing that turned me off of poetry and literature at school

We would spend hours analysing poems and I am sure it just boiled down to those words sounding or reading nice together!
To check out my music please visit:

http://soundcloud.com/boydiemusic

Twitter: https://twitter.com/BoydieMusic

shadowfax

• Stadium Tour
  • Singer songwriter
« Reply #17 on: March 22, 2016, 09:04:51 AM »
Yeah..I saw an interview with Bob Dylan where an earnest young reporter was trying to analyse one of his songs..(forget which one) and he was pushing Dylan for what it all meant..Dylan said..the words are there because they rhymed... :) :)luvit!!!
Soundcloud Shadowfax6

from the nightmare!

tboswell

• Platinum Album
« Reply #18 on: March 22, 2016, 09:58:31 PM »
The awesome Dylan quote I recall is when a journalist asked him, "What are your songs about?"

He said, "Some are about 3 minutes, some are about 4 minutes"  :D

PaulAds

• Stadium Tour
  • Haemorrhaging Enthusiasm
« Reply #19 on: March 22, 2016, 10:10:26 PM »
poetry and literature were just about the only things in the curriculum i was interested in
heart of stone, feet of clay, knob of butter

shadowfax

• Stadium Tour
  • Singer songwriter
« Reply #20 on: March 23, 2016, 06:53:35 AM »
The awesome Dylan quote I recall is when a journalist asked him, "What are your songs about?"

He said, "Some are about 3 minutes, some are about 4 minutes"  :D

LOL... :D :D
Soundcloud Shadowfax6

from the nightmare!

adamfarr

• Stadium Tour
    • SongEspresso
« Reply #21 on: March 25, 2016, 11:45:31 AM »
Interesting one. For sure most don't find what works through theory just by what feels right. However, perhaps the theory explains why it feels right. Maybe.

GuyBarry

• Solo Gig
« Reply #22 on: March 25, 2016, 12:25:22 PM »
Yeah..this kind of pretentious crap

I don't regard it as pretentious to use a lot of technical language, though I appreciate that it can go over some people's heads.  I'm in a male voice quartet where, as it happens, two of us have an extensive knowledge of music theory.  We have a habit of breaking off into technical discussions sometimes.  At yesterday's rehearsal I turned to the leader and said "I'm having trouble singing this interval, I think it's an augmented second".  With a look of complete mystification, one of the other members said something along the lines of "Stop analysing it and get on with singing it", but he was missing the point.  I needed to know what the interval was in order to pitch it correctly.

shadowfax

• Stadium Tour
  • Singer songwriter
« Reply #23 on: March 25, 2016, 03:27:46 PM »

I don't regard it as pretentious to use a lot of technical language, though I appreciate that it can go over some people's heads.  I'm in a male voice quartet where, as it happens, two of us have an extensive knowledge of music theory.  We have a habit of breaking off into technical discussions sometimes.  At yesterday's rehearsal I turned to the leader and said "I'm having trouble singing this interval, I think it's an augmented second".  With a look of complete mystification, one of the other members said something along the lines of "Stop analysing it and get on with singing it", but he was missing the point.  I needed to know what the interval was in order to pitch it correctly.

everything said in this thread is said in jest my friend... ::) a bit of fun..have fun with your augmented 2nd watsit, I prefer things in the key of Bdemeted and no intervals, just straight on through..
« Last Edit: March 25, 2016, 03:30:17 PM by shadowfax »
Soundcloud Shadowfax6

from the nightmare!

Skub

• Stadium Tour
    • Soundcloud
« Reply #24 on: March 26, 2016, 02:53:10 PM »

I don't regard it as pretentious to use a lot of technical language, though I appreciate that it can go over some people's heads.  I'm in a male voice quartet where, as it happens, two of us have an extensive knowledge of music theory.  We have a habit of breaking off into technical discussions sometimes.  At yesterday's rehearsal I turned to the leader and said "I'm having trouble singing this interval, I think it's an augmented second".  With a look of complete mystification, one of the other members said something along the lines of "Stop analysing it and get on with singing it", but he was missing the point.  I needed to know what the interval was in order to pitch it correctly.

everything said in this thread is said in jest my friend... ::) a bit of fun..have fun with your augmented 2nd watsit, I prefer things in the key of Bdemeted and no intervals, just straight on through..

Straight on through?

You don't take a lunch break?  :o

*Skub runs off to sic the union on shadow's hindquarters...

shadowfax

• Stadium Tour
  • Singer songwriter
« Reply #25 on: March 26, 2016, 03:10:34 PM »
Oh yes, I have lunch breaks, I just don't have intervals ;D ;D

didn't understand
*Skub runs off to sic the union on shadow's hindquarters... ??? ???

I'm not very bright y'know ::) ::)
Soundcloud Shadowfax6

from the nightmare!

Skub

• Stadium Tour
    • Soundcloud
« Reply #26 on: March 26, 2016, 08:05:59 PM »
Listen carefully young laddie,the unions fought long and hard for regular breaks for us exploited and downtrodden plebs. Arthur Scarface would spin in his grave if he were dead,at the thought of you working away there and ignoring those hard won break entitlements.

What was the question again?  ???

:P

shadowfax

• Stadium Tour
  • Singer songwriter
« Reply #27 on: March 27, 2016, 07:39:30 AM »
Oh, maybe I didn't get it because I'm not a downtrodden pleb!..I'm just a pleb!! ;D ;D
Soundcloud Shadowfax6

from the nightmare!

MartynRich

• Stadium Tour
    • Personal website
« Reply #28 on: April 06, 2016, 09:35:15 PM »
I think rock is when the drummer only uses the Toms for fills, whereas in prog rock he uses them for beats. Maybe.

delb0y

• Platinum Album
« Reply #29 on: April 06, 2016, 09:49:53 PM »
I think rock is when the drummer only uses the Toms for fills, whereas in prog rock he uses them for beats. Maybe.

Does that make Wipe Out & Apache prog rock songs? :-)
West Country Country Boy