Am I being lazy????

• 6 Replies

Sing4me88

• Stadium Tour
« on: July 09, 2016, 11:06:58 PM »
So while playing around  in Audacity having a bit of fun messing with a beat and some bass notes I hit on a groove I really like. After a while I tweaked it and the beat and they fit really well together, especially for a 'groove' based track. Thing is that a lyric idea scans really well with the bass line. Is it lazy to copy the bass line,transpose it up an octave and use it as a mirror top line vocal melody? I think it might add strength to the groove feel for the opening verse (the pre will pick up pace and change beat) but I'm not sure if this is just laziness and lack of imagination on my part. Any thoughts?

Boydie

• Administrator
  • Stadium Tour
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2016, 11:14:29 PM »
I would go ahead and do it

Just make sure you nudge the timing of some of the notes if you want it sound like it isn't a direct copy

I would also delete some of the notes from the less important line (eg the bass line) - this will give the impression that the bass line is "supporting" the lead line rather than simply following it
To check out my music please visit:

http://soundcloud.com/boydiemusic

Twitter: https://twitter.com/BoydieMusic

GTB

• Platinum Album
  • Valar Morghulis
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2016, 03:39:50 PM »
Do it, look back on it when it's done.  If you aren't satisfied but leave it anyway, that's lazy 😎
GTB

Skub

• Stadium Tour
    • Soundcloud
« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2016, 06:55:28 PM »
The rules are...

There are no rules.  8)

tboswell

• Platinum Album
« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2016, 08:30:45 PM »
I wouldn't worry about being lazy but I would double vocals and bass with great care.

Re-using material within a song can add real strength to it, new things happen that sound familiar to the ear because we have heard them in another form already. It's a technique used throughout classical music and makes arrangements sound professional.

However, that said, having bits in the arrangement that double the vocal are dangerous. In general it is good to work in between the vocal melody, so you don't trample over it with other instruments, meaning the listener can't follow the vocal as easily.

So feel free to use the line but perhaps consider rewriting the baseline if you do.

Tom.