konalavadome

The Vamp of Storyville -collab with Nick Quarmby

• 23 Replies

delb0y

• Platinum Album
« on: March 11, 2016, 04:13:30 PM »
Bit of a background to this one. I’m the lyricist here, and my old buddy Nick is the music man. I could never hope to play, sing, produce, or come up with music this good, so I’m kind of riding on Nick’s coat-tails. But I am pleased with the lyrics – I write stories and novels as well as songs and truth be told most of my songs are actually stories that didn’t quite carry enough weight to become fiction.

Anyway, I’ve played in bands on and off with Nick for 35 years. He’s a consummate musician, and has played bass professionally with some very fine bands, and I’m hoping that I might get him to accompany me on a few acoustic gigs sometime in the future. We had a jam a few weeks ago on some of the tunes I’ve shared here and it sounded just wonderful. I’m currently trying to persuade him to lay down some bass on the full revised version of Drag You Back which I’ll share here soon.

Meanwhile, I had these lyrics and whatever I did musically sounded a bit naff so I sent them to Nick and this is the result. He called in another of our long term bandmates to play the drums – himself a professional. So you can see, I really am punching above my weight here.

It’s pretty old, but I wanted to share it as my buddy Nick has been very ill recently and I think this deserves a few more listens. The vampires are, of course, not vampires, just the drinkers who spend the long dark hours in bars. But they can be real vampires if you want them to be.

The Vamp of Storyville

http://soundclick.com/share.cfm?id=13335891

Marietta throws her head back and begins to laugh
And all the vampires in Sweet Pierre’s begin to sweat
In all the bars, in all the towns they’ve ever been
They can’t recall such a smooth and tender neck
She licks her lips and the undead squirm
Lip gloss like Holy Water burns
They cross themselves and they stare through their bloodshot little eyes
The barman wipes a glass and cracks a joke
Marietta smiles, her mouth is full of smoke
Breathing fire into the hot New Orleans night

Leaning on a balustrade on a street where Louis Armstrong played
The Saints Came Marching In and Tiger Rag
A sailor in from Singapore stumbles through his last night on the shore
He’s acting out a savage dream that he once had
He picks up the scent of perfumed air
That draws him over to Sweet Pierre’s
And a girl that’s stalked his dreams all of his life
He’s got a sharpened razor in his coat
And is searching for a smooth and tender throat
As he breathes fire into the hot New Orleans night

Down in Storyville there’s a tale going still, the old folks tell
Of a blue eyed sailor with tattoos running across his back
He stole down Liberty and took away sweet Marie
They still keep a stool empty at the bar where she sat
Sweet young blood in the Mississippi mud
A body they couldn’t tell who
The vampires, they all brought their dreams and regrets
And stared down at her twisted neck
They could not believe, and they do not yet
And they breathe fire into the hot New Orleans night

« Last Edit: March 11, 2016, 04:27:00 PM by delb0y »
West Country Country Boy

igg

• Solo Gig
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2016, 05:01:34 PM »
Wow!

All of it just comes together so sweetly.....Great story, great vocals   and a superb bass line....swinging off into the dark unknown!

igg

Skub

• Stadium Tour
    • Soundcloud
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2016, 09:26:17 PM »
Wunnerful stuff delboy. It wouldn't be out of place on an early Tom Waits album.

This joint is getting too sharp for the likes of me!  :D

CaliaMoko

• Stadium Tour
  • Strumming on the couch in pigtails
    • Late Bloomers Rock
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2016, 11:15:06 PM »
My first thought, before I saw the previous feedback, was "What am I doing in these forums?" Then I remembered. I am a big proponent of "Do stuff; don't just watch (or listen) to other people doing stuff."

I'm not into dark art (no, I didn't say dark arts), so this isn't the kind of thing I would normally listen to. But I think it's really good and I can't think of any constructive criticism to offer. If I was really, really good myself, maybe then.... :)

pompeyjazz

• Stadium Tour
  • pompeyjazz
« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2016, 11:57:07 PM »
Absolutely great stuff Derek. I really enjoyed the close up vocals. The dynamics worked really well and that solo was sensational. Your bass player is not too shabby also  :)

Pompeyjazz

delb0y

• Platinum Album
« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2016, 12:57:21 AM »
Thanks for the comments, guys. I'm really chuffed that you like what Nick did here. But seriously, don't give me credit for anything other than some dark lyrics about a murder in the Big Easy. I should have posted this in the lyrics section, really, as (from my perspective) that's my contribution. But then it is a finished song, so... Anyway I guess the learning point is that when it comes to collab's the secret is to choose great players and singers and producers and then just sit back and enjoy the results  :)

I managed to find an old photo of Nick and I back in the day. A far ago day!
« Last Edit: March 12, 2016, 01:18:29 AM by delb0y »
West Country Country Boy

SJ-Salem

• Busker
« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2016, 02:44:30 AM »

Now this sort of thing is right up my street! A great song. Love the devilish smoky bar style and flair. Great downbeat dynamics, the textures of the upright the acoustic and the brushes on the drums, the sexy walking bass line, great progression, great hooks, great vocal performance, very nice characterful nuances in there.

Frenchy

• Open Mic
« Reply #7 on: March 12, 2016, 05:39:11 AM »
Great song Derek and Nick,

Great lyrics and story, and the vocal delivery is just so perfect for this type of Lou Reed meets Van Morrisson vibe.
The melody and arrangement are spot on, just a couple of points on the mix, the first guit solo is to my ears a little too loud and I would double the length of it and possible do away with the second solo ? Just an idea.

Brilliant this..

Regards
Frenchy

digger72

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #8 on: March 16, 2016, 09:32:52 PM »
Hi delboy,

Tell Nick he did a great job bringing the lyrics to life. The bass is stunning.
Great atmosphere. Definitely night music.

Digger

seriousfun

• Stadium Tour
    • Allan Kilgour - Original Compositions
« Reply #9 on: March 17, 2016, 11:45:35 PM »
The feel of this goes with the lyrics like a cab sav with a good gorgonzola.  Quality playing and supreme laid back vox make this a winner from the get go. The only thing that interrupted it for me was the the stop start nature of the 2nd line. Would have preferred it to be more free flowing and continue the laid back feel. Apart from that I thought it was musically on the money.

A great dark story, told well and the vampires in New Orleans, well placed.

Kudos to you all on this collab

Allan.

Boydie

• Administrator
  • Stadium Tour
« Reply #10 on: March 19, 2016, 08:42:26 PM »
I could smell the smoke of the club!

The song is great and I loved the playing

My only "nit" is that it all sounds a little over-compressed to me so it lacked some dynamics and was a bit "pumpy" in places - however, the payoff of this is the lovely intimate vocal

I loved the guitar playing and vocal delivery

I will finish my whiskey as it plays out  ;D
To check out my music please visit:

http://soundcloud.com/boydiemusic

Twitter: https://twitter.com/BoydieMusic

Viscount Cramer & His Orchestra

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #11 on: March 20, 2016, 07:21:42 AM »
Great Del. Compliments to your pal for a job superbly done. Tasteful playing indeed. Everything's spot on. Got a nice voice hasn't he?

It's a great story with good characters and the vampires in the background witnessing the drama are a nice touch. Music and lyric fit each other brilliantly.

When the solo came I was expecting piano...being New Orleans and all. (I'm just picking a hole to make myself feel better about still being some way behind some of you guys!)
Take it easy.

You can check my stuff out here. Mini-album getting bigger slowly. Free download if you're poorer than me.

Easy Life - Viscount Cramer

delb0y

• Platinum Album
« Reply #12 on: March 20, 2016, 09:41:23 AM »
Thanks guys, appreciated.

Yes, Nick's got a great voice. He's a wonderful song-writer and a stellar bass-player too. And guitar player. And engineer / producer... These days he's concentrating on science rather than music - he's rather good at astronomy and space-stuff and using the brain, so way more than just a musician. I'm still hoping to collar him for a few duo gigs one day in the future.

Collaborations are definitely interesting!

Cheers
Derek
West Country Country Boy

Paulski

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #13 on: March 21, 2016, 12:15:29 AM »
Great song Derek - reminded me of van morrison's moondance which is one of my all time favs.
Lovely playing - timing is impeccable and vocal totally suits the vibe. The only issue I had is making out the lyrics without reading along - prob more a problem with me than the song/mix but there it is..
Yeah like skub I'm wondering if I'm trying to swing above my weight class when I hear stuff like this around these parts :)! (not that he doesn't belong here!)
cheers
Paul

olivergearing

• Open Mic
    • Oliver Gearing @ Reverbnation
« Reply #14 on: March 22, 2016, 10:23:05 PM »
Really atmospheric, you're right about your mate being talented. I think being able to produce quality jazz is a mark of someone pretty special.

The guitar solo playing is absolutely beautiful, however is the only part that didn't feel like it fitted in the same 'sonic space' as the other parts of the band.

A small point to add,  is that I love the movement of the drummer between 'half time' and 'swing time' at various points... Love that stuff!

Cheeky bit of skat in there too... Beauts...