I keep hearing original songs in my head...but when I try to write...

• 21 Replies

Souper

• Busker
« Reply #15 on: February 12, 2016, 12:57:37 AM »
Yep

Kenny Bones

• Busker
« Reply #16 on: March 16, 2016, 12:01:39 PM »
This is me completely. Only thing is, I almost always successfully make it into a song. Don't know why, but I do have an excellent ear.

Now what I usually do is this:
- I get the song in my head, but don't rush to an instrument right away. I keep going, making up other sections of the song and just imagine in the most natural way what the lead melodies are like. At this point, arrangements and instrumentation are bound to show up. Keep them in mind but don't focus on it.
- pick up the phone and record just my humming. I don't worry too much on harmonies, but if they're essential to the melody I usually just hum the harmonies as well.
- Pick up the guitar and just find the main bass notes of each chord. Cause this is where the idea might fail on you and it's suddenly gone. If you add actual chords, your mind has a tendency to follow the guitar instead of the melody in your head.
- Carefully record one section of the idea at a time. Keep it as simple as possible. Make sure your maintain the original idea that was in your head.

Most often, the initial idea you get in your head is all about melody and rhythm. That's what makes up the core of the idea and that's why you feel it's a strong idea. Make sure you capture that idea! It will drive the rest of the creation process.

Also, songwriting is all about inspiration and the drive you have at the time. If you loose the drive, you loose the idea. But if it's a really good idea, it will stick. And you'll get the same drive the next time you go work on it.

Some people find that getting some space from the song is important. I agree and disagree. If I'm working on a song, I keep working on it until it's done. I'm obsessed with it at this point :p
But it needs to have a certain shape before I'm done with the rough sketch. And then I introduce it to the band or any other collaboration I have on writing. And then we figure out the details together.
« Last Edit: March 16, 2016, 12:06:59 PM by Kenny Bones »

Doodles

• Solo Gig
    • Soundcloud Page
« Reply #17 on: March 16, 2016, 12:21:19 PM »
Hey thanks for sharing this Kenny.

Its when I pick up the guitar and play a chord that it goes wrong for me - if its not the right chord first time it just all goes out the window. I'll definitely try that with the bass-notes.

Bizarrely I have not woken up with anything in my head for months and months, but this week I have slept with the bedroom window open again and woken up with stuff playing in my head again. Its like shutting the window and the outside world shuts out the inspiration.

Ben

Kenny Bones

• Busker
« Reply #18 on: March 16, 2016, 02:41:28 PM »
Hey thanks for sharing this Kenny.

Its when I pick up the guitar and play a chord that it goes wrong for me - if its not the right chord first time it just all goes out the window. I'll definitely try that with the bass-notes.

Bizarrely I have not woken up with anything in my head for months and months, but this week I have slept with the bedroom window open again and woken up with stuff playing in my head again. Its like shutting the window and the outside world shuts out the inspiration.

Ben

Well, maybe there's something to it? An open window means better air. And better air means a clearer mind. Most often when I'm doodling melodies is when I go for a walk and walk home from the studio. So it might be the air that's the thing :) Will certainly keep that in mind!

CaliaMoko

• Stadium Tour
  • Strumming on the couch in pigtails
    • Late Bloomers Rock
« Reply #19 on: March 16, 2016, 04:26:34 PM »
I try to keep blank music paper around so I can write down melodies when I think of them. If they come with words, I can write the words, too. When I try to go to the piano or guitar first, I always start with the wrong notes, and then the idea can get knocked right out of my head, just like others have mentioned. Writing it down prevents that problem. This is, for me, one of the biggest advantages of being able to read (and write) music.

Doodles

• Solo Gig
    • Soundcloud Page
« Reply #20 on: March 16, 2016, 07:40:50 PM »
When I write consciously its like I'm lining up 4 bar fish tanks and putting different colours and species of fish in them. What my unconscious mind comes up with feels more like a small unspoilt part of the ocean. When I wake up with the music in my head, at best I can bring back one species and put it in my fish tanks. But it does feel like a more exotic species, that I can't get in the shops.

I would love to be able to bring back more. Maybe if I spend more time playing and transcribing I will build up a more natural connection between what is in my head and the instrument (or sheet music like CaliaMoko). Or maybe I with relaxation the subconscious music will come while I'm awake, like Kenny. Walking outdoors doesn't seem to work for me.

Fascinating subject I think. 

GuyBarry

• Solo Gig
« Reply #21 on: March 23, 2016, 10:21:26 AM »
I have a version of this problem sometimes.  I imagine a lyric set to a particular tune, but when I try to remember the lyric again I've forgotten the tune.  It's frustrating, but I've discovered that the best solution is simply to write another tune!

Regarding Doodles' problem with the "wrong chord", I completely agree that hitting the wrong chord in a sequence can completely throw you out.  I don't play the guitar - I have a keyboard and what I try to do with a difficult chord, rather than trying to play the whole thing, is to imagine individual notes in the chord.  That's usually the bass note, and the melody note or any unusual chromatic notes that might stand out.  When I've got that I can usually use my knowledge of harmony to work out what the chord actually is.  It's not 100% successful, and it relies on a good theoretical knowledge, but it normally works for me.

Incidentally I also use this technique for transcribing the chords of existing songs from YouTube or similar sites.  I don't trust those chord sites!
« Last Edit: March 23, 2016, 10:28:55 AM by GuyBarry »