Midi Questions

• 8 Replies

CaliaMoko

• Stadium Tour
  • Strumming on the couch in pigtails
    • Late Bloomers Rock
« on: March 16, 2016, 12:28:09 PM »
I'm practicing typing midi notes into Reaper to build a piece of music. I've never done this before and, not too surprisingly, I keep running into trouble.

Pompeyjazz showed me how to make a drum track audible. Thanks! :) I do still have a long way to go with that, of course, but I think the main thing might be needing more VST files.

Today my need for help is with keyboard VSTs (or VSTi's). I have one called DSK AcousticKeys, and I'm wondering if it's not very good or if something is wrong with what I've done or my computer. The sounds are shaky or uncertain. Like, I'll hear ghost echos of a different note or the note will waver out of tune--things like that, at random.

Anyone know if that's me or if it's the VSTi?

Vicki

pompeyjazz

• Stadium Tour
  • pompeyjazz
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2016, 06:38:32 PM »
Hi Vicki, Just doing a little experiment now. DSK Acoustic Keys does sound fine to me. Try some of the various presets from the drop down menu and see if they sound different.

Then if your still having an issue, download DSK Strings and choose "Pure Cello" or "Pure violin" they are fairly standard reproductions and should sound vaguely like the instruments in question.

If you're still having issues, make sure all your other applications closed down on the computer as Reaper is quite greedy. You can also look at disabimg some of your computers background tasks but that's a more drastic step.

Now your Reaper midi tip so you can extend your drum tracks and don't have to keep cutting and pasting.

Put your mouse on the right edge of the midi box and a two way arrow will appear

hold the left mouse button down and drag to the right - You have just extened the midi box !

Hope this helps

John

CaliaMoko

• Stadium Tour
    • Late Bloomers Rock
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2016, 08:03:36 PM »
Hi Vicki, Just doing a little experiment now. DSK Acoustic Keys does sound fine to me. Try some of the various presets from the drop down menu and see if they sound different.

Then if your still having an issue, download DSK Strings and choose "Pure Cello" or "Pure violin" they are fairly standard reproductions and should sound vaguely like the instruments in question.

If you're still having issues, make sure all your other applications closed down on the computer as Reaper is quite greedy. You can also look at disabimg some of your computers background tasks but that's a more drastic step.

I'm guessing I had other stuff open, so I'll test that theory after I close everything except Reaper and try again.

Now your Reaper midi tip so you can extend your drum tracks and don't have to keep cutting and pasting.

Put your mouse on the right edge of the midi box and a two way arrow will appear

hold the left mouse button down and drag to the right - You have just extended the midi box !

That is what I did, and it did extend the box, but it copied everything in the first box. If I extend the midi box before entering anything, whatever I enter in the first box also gets entered automatically in the rest of the boxes. If I move something in a different box, the same item moves in all the boxes. Maybe there's a setting somewhere that keeps the boxes from all being identical? ::looking::  Oh, yup! I found it. Turn off the thing that says something about looping. Strange. Now it doesn't snap to the even quarter beats like it did before I turned that off. Maybe it's a case of "I can't have everything at once?" Or maybe it didn't and I just thought it did.

And now, when I play it, the beat keeps on, even after it gets past where I have any beats on the track. There sure are a lot of fiddly things to think about....  ;D :P  ::)

Kam kam, ruz bi ruz (or something like that--means day by day, little by little)

Vicki

pompeyjazz

• Stadium Tour
  • pompeyjazz
« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2016, 11:35:29 PM »
I know it's really frustrating Vicki but persevere man  :) do you know the s for split trick ? If not look it up straight away  :) keep going, you will be glad you did in a while.

Atb John

CaliaMoko

• Stadium Tour
    • Late Bloomers Rock
« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2016, 02:29:10 AM »
Yes, I did know the S for split trick. It's awesome and I've used it lots on regular tracks that I recorded the "normal" way.

I use CTRL-Z even more, though. I'm always accidentally doing something I need to undo.

I appreciate the encouragement. Right now I'm trying to put together some simple midi stuff for practice. It's messy with breaks in the track in weird, unexplained places. But it sounds fine. I tried pasting some together, but it didn't work.

I keep making progress

pompeyjazz

• Stadium Tour
  • pompeyjazz
« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2016, 12:51:05 PM »
Select the two items you want to paste together (shift and click) and then right click and choose glue items.

John

CaliaMoko

• Stadium Tour
    • Late Bloomers Rock
« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2016, 01:06:15 PM »
Ahhh, one little step I was neglecting. Selecting them both. I was just clicking on the joint and trying to do it that way. Thanks!

hardtwistmusic

• Stadium Tour
  • Central Oregon Sunset
« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2016, 08:23:01 PM »
FWIW --  I tried to work with midi in the format you are using, and it was WAY too complex for this old, simple, mind. 

It wasn't until I got a composer software and could see the notes AS NOTES on a staff that I could manipulate them. 

So.....   I admire you (and Pompey) for having the moxey and patience to learn to use and modify (and write with) MIDI files like that.  I'd have never learned it. 

And so, it goes without saying that I can't offer any help. 

So, you ask for help, and all you get is admiration.  Sometimes that's how it goes.  'o)
www.reverbnation.com/hardtwistmusicsongwriter

Verlon Gates  -  60 plus years old.

CaliaMoko

• Stadium Tour
    • Late Bloomers Rock
« Reply #8 on: March 21, 2016, 08:37:27 PM »
Well, Verlon, I would much prefer it if I could just assign a voice to the midi file in Reaper and then it would automagically become sound.