konalavadome

Raise you up - acoustic demo

• 3 Replies

theoldjumper

• Busker
« on: February 14, 2016, 03:52:10 PM »
First post on the forum! I have just started attempting to write songs, and I plan to start doing some open mics this year (once I've built up the confidence!).

This is recorded on garage band via my laptop mic, so the quality is poor, but I think you can get a good sense of it . I plan to buy a proper mic to improve the quality. This is just me playing and singing on a single track.

I'm looking for genuine feedback on my singing, the melody - and on the lyrics. I have a tendency to be very sentimental in my lyrics and lapse into cliche...hoping getting some feedback will push me to be a little more original.

Please be honest - I really want to improve so I can play out more confidently, and this sort of forum seems a great place for frank feedback.

This one came to me very quickly, which slightly makes me worry I have unconsciously ripped off the melody  :-\.

Anyway, thanks in advance for listening - looking forward to hearing and commenting on some of your songs.

https://soundcloud.com/tomconwa/raise-you-up-14-02-2016-1526

LYRICS:
Wrote it in the steam
On the mirror
Said it on the bus
When you were sleeping
Threw it to the wind
When we were walking
Said it in a prayer
In the stalls

*I will raise you up
Till you can’t get any higher
I will raise you up like a goddess
Don’t ask me how
I will raise you up
Don’t ask me how
My dear*

Heard it in the drums
of that song
Saw it the things
I got wrong
Felt it in the scratches
On the table
Found it on pebble
on the beach

*I will raise you up
Don’t ask me how
But when it all goes down
I’ll be there
For you
My dear *
« Last Edit: February 14, 2016, 04:50:34 PM by theoldjumper »

delb0y

• Platinum Album
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2016, 06:29:05 PM »
Hi Jumper.

Lovely song - melody / lyrics and your singing are all very good. This is real heartfelt stuff and I don't think it lapsed into sentimentality or cliché at all. If this came to you quickly then just accept it - a present from the gods :-)  I always nick melodies anyway as I can't come up with my own - but I don't recognize this one. There again, I found a website the other day that said in 2008 there were 106000 albums released in the US. Assuming a conservative 10 songs per album that's over a million melodies in one year, in one country alone - so maybe this one has been done before... But whether anyone's heard it is another thing. My point is, don't worry :-)

Re. Open Mics, just do it. I've been playing in bands for 35+ years but have recently started doing some solo open mics, just acoustic guitar and simple finger-picking songs, and I'm loving it. In fact, off to one in about two hours time :-)

Gad to have you onboard!

Cheers
Derek
West Country Country Boy

pompeyjazz

• Stadium Tour
  • pompeyjazz
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2016, 10:14:49 PM »
Hi jumper. I really liked this as a song. Reminded me a little of First day of my life by Bright Eyes. It's nice and concise and clean but has loads of feel and honesty. Welcome to our forum and looking forward to hearing more of your songs.

Cheers

John

Fionn

• Busker
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2016, 10:46:46 AM »
Really nice melody and lyrics, love the acoustic sound, looking forward to hearing more

Fionn